Author Topic: Apple-Almond-Cinnamon Strata  (Read 2183 times)

Offline debk

Apple-Almond-Cinnamon Strata
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:42:05 PM »
Tots....here's the recipe for the strata/bread pudding we were talking about in yesterday's thread....I haven't made it before.

1 1lb loaf cinnamon raisin bread, cut into 1" pieces
8 eggs - lightly beaten
2 cups milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 21oz can of apple pie filling
1/2 c slivered toasted almonds

Spread bread pieces in a greased 3qt rectangular casserole dish.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, almond extract. Stir in pie filling and half of the almonds.  Carefully pour over the bread in the baking dish.  Press the bread down into the egg mixture with a wooden spoon to saturate. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Cover and refrigerate for 2-24 hours.

To bake: preheat oven to 325.  Bake uncovered for about 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar over top before serving.

Makes 8 servings.

I'm not an almond fan and would change the almond extract to vanilla and make it about a tsp or so, and add pecans or walnuts.

If doing it for dessert, I would make a thin sauce with butter, powdered sugar, cream, and either some butterscotch or cinnamon schnapps. Or take some caramel or butterscotch ice cream topping, heat it up, add some half and half or cream and you could add a bit of liquour if you wanted. Be a whole lot easier to take the ice cream toppings and just thin them.  :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Apple-Almond-Cinnamon Strata
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 01:47:19 PM »
That looks fabulous.  Thanks!

Today I am making blueberry almond granola bars.  New recipe, boyfriend eats snack bars, and I thought I would give it a whirl. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:54:42 PM »
That looks fabulous.  Thanks!

Today I am making blueberry almond granola bars.  New recipe, boyfriend eats snack bars, and I thought I would give it a whirl. 

Sounds good.....

I have a granola bar recipe that I've had for years.....I add pecans and chocolate chips to it.  :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »

Sounds good.....

I have a granola bar recipe that I've had for years.....I add pecans and chocolate chips to it.  :-)

Recipe calls for cranberries, and guess who doesn't like em!  What is it with boys and cranberries???
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »
Recipe calls for cranberries, and guess who doesn't like em!  What is it with boys and cranberries???

Cranberries are too healthy....unless made into juice and mixed with vodka..... :uhsure: