Author Topic: Alton Brown Picks Cookbooks  (Read 5495 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Alton Brown Picks Cookbooks
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:12:31 PM »
1. The Joy of Cooking
By Irma S. Rombauer
Bobbs-Merrill, 1936

Maybe it's because I inherited "The Joy of Cooking" from my paternal grandmother, a true witch of the baking world, or because her edition, the sixth, was published in 1962, the year I was born. Or maybe it's because even this 1960s "Joy" was still packed with old-fashioned tips like the carefully laid out instructions for skinning a squirrel. As the diagrams show, the skinning process is easy once you get the tail under your foot. Whatever the reason for my attachment to the particular volume on my shelf, I'm also a "Joy" fan no matter the edition: Every recipe is written in the book's unmistakable style, with ingredients and amounts seamlessly integrated into the instructions. For me this is still the quintessential American cookbook. Try the baked herring and potatoes or sourdough rye. Or perhaps the roast squirrel with walnut ketchup.

3. Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
By Marcella Hazan
Knopf, 1992

5. Ratio
By Michael Ruhlman
Scribner, 2009

"Proportions form the backbone of the craft of cooking," Michael Ruhlman says. "When you know a culinary ratio, it's not like knowing a single recipe, it's instantly knowing a thousand. Here is the ratio for bread: 5 parts flour : 3 parts water." In "Ratio," Ruhlman emphasizes "the simple codes behind the craft of everyday cooking," bringing a simple clarity to making everything from sausage to vinaigrette. Forget about teaspoons, ounces, cups and (shudder) fractions; it's all about the "parts." This is a refreshing, illuminating and perhaps even revolutionary look at the relations that make food work.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704107204575039311414125360.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_TOPRightCarousel
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

Re: Alton Brown Picks Cookbooks
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »
Joy of Cooking is like having a Webster's Dictionary.....you just have to have it.

I learned to cook from the basic Betty Crocker.....simple basic recipes that are not too expensive to learn and develop cooking skills. I still use it for my cinnamon sticky buns.

I have a Hampton Roads Va Junior League cookbook - Virginia Hospitality - that I've had since 1977 and still use.

I'm down to about 11-12 linear feet of cookbooks in my pantry, and another 3 foot shelf upstairs. I've weeded through them several times over the last 30 years. It's been suggested that I might want to consider doing so again. I don't think I need too.... :whatever:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:16:29 AM »
:rofl:

I have a Betty Crocker book, the Frugal Gourmet (I used to love his PBS show... shame about him), and a small handful of others.  I picked the recipe for Quiche Lorraine from the B-C book and made some changes to it; it's pretty good.  A layer of crispy bacon in the bottom of a pie crust, fill with a layer of cut-up boiled potatoes, top with pesto and shredded cheese and fill the pie crust with beaten eggs and bake.  Good stuff.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:25:03 AM »
I don't think I ever had The Frugal Gourmet....

I buy a lot of regional cookbooks. I almost always come home with one if I've gone on a trip to someplace new. I will sit down and read them cover to cover.

I have a Paula Deen one that I've been using quite often in the last year or so.....mostly sweets.

Lately I've been into buying "recipe" magazines. Bought a Better Homes and Gardens "Comfort Foods" at Walmart Saturday.

Haven't had time to get completely through it....but found a recipe for a breakfast strata made with cinnamon bread and apple pie filling.... :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »
Ok, I like Alton, but no Mastering the Art of French cooking?????  No La Gastronomique?  WTF?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:56:34 AM »
Ok, I like Alton, but no Mastering the Art of French cooking?????  No La Gastronomique?  WTF?

I like him too.  I think he went a little cuckoo, when he went on his craaaaazy losing weight diet. 

I have the Joy of Cooking that Julia Child contributed to. 

(btw, LOVE Anthony Bourdain.)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »
Lately, Mrs. E and I have been going through "The Barefoot Contessa's" book, "Back to Basics" (or some such).

Ina Garten cooks a lot like Paula Deen, but not with the sweets -- more with the heavy cream and butter.

She's a biiiiiiig lady and looks like she enjoys her own cuisine.

The really cool thing is that she says you can get truffle oil and truffle butter from here. It's surprisingly affordable.  :drool:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:15:17 PM »
The only one I have of those is Marcella Hazan, I would recommend it to anyone. There are no colour pictures wasting space it is just packed with great detailed recipes and advice.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 12:25:02 PM »
Lately, Mrs. E and I have been going through "The Barefoot Contessa's" book, "Back to Basics" (or some such).

Ina Garten cooks a lot like Paula Deen, but not with the sweets -- more with the heavy cream and butter.

The really cool thing is that she says you can get truffle oil and truffle butter from here. It's surprisingly affordable.  :drool:

Thanks for sharing!  Looks like a good site.  I kinda like watching her show.  She is all like mellow and stuff. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »

I love that show, I want her house and garden they look so gorgeous. The recipes look great too.

Offline debk

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 12:32:31 PM »

I've been wanting one of her books but didn't know which would be the best....I will look for "Back to Basics".

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
I've been wanting one of her books but didn't know which would be the best....I will look for "Back to Basics".

Her web site has it, of course - and I was correct. It's called "Back to Basics". She has others, but we've not explored those yet.

She's big into butter and heavy cream, and she's generous with "good" olive oil. But we reeeeeeeealllly love her roasted vegetables, so it's at least a bit balanced.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 06:23:39 PM »
I have quite a few cookbooks, but I rarely use them. I'm mostly a seat of the pants cook. Ratio looks like it might be worth picking up though.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 06:29:23 PM »
That looks like something I would enjoy; knowing a good recipe is nice, but knowing how to create one is even better.  I have a pile of cooking magazines that I never use.

http://www.amazon.com/Ratio-Simple-Behind-Everyday-Cooking/dp/1416566112/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265761753&sr=1-1

I lol'd at the fatty picture of Alton Brown. 

Offline Specbid

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
I have one that I'll bet very few here have...

Family Cookbook USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76)

Offline debk

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:47 AM »

You are right, and I bet it's a great cookbook!

That's why I like Jr League cookbooks and church cookbooks. The books are "of a community" and they are tried and true recipes that are real food, not fancy type stuff. That's the type of cookbook I like to find when I go travelling.

Offline Specbid

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »

You are right, and I bet it's a great cookbook!

That's why I like Jr League cookbooks and church cookbooks. The books are "of a community" and they are tried and true recipes that are real food, not fancy type stuff. That's the type of cookbook I like to find when I go travelling.

Exactly. Useful, mostly simple recipes contributed by family and friends. Pretty neat.

Haven't try this one:

Hamburger Soup for the Crew-

448 lbs. of ground beef
2 qt. 2c. vegetable oil
140 lbs. diced carrots
140 lbs. diced celery
210 gal. water...

It goes on but I think you get the picture.  :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 12:04:06 PM »
Exactly. Useful, mostly simple recipes contributed by family and friends. Pretty neat.

Haven't try this one:

Hamburger Soup for the Crew-

448 lbs. of ground beef
2 qt. 2c. vegetable oil
140 lbs. diced carrots
140 lbs. diced celery
210 gal. water...

It goes on but I think you get the picture.  :-)

What????????? No onions???????!!!!

:-)

Offline Specbid

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »
What????????? No onions???????!!!!

:-)

140 lbs. That was the next item after the celery. I had to stop somewhere.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 12:12:12 PM »
140 lbs. That was the next item after the celery. I had to stop somewhere.

Damn. You had me worried there!!!!!

:lmao:

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 04:50:46 PM »

Those privately group published ones are great. I have one from my mother when she was a volunteer at a hospital, so all the hospital volunteers, nurses, doctors, etc., contributed recipes. It has some of the nastiest heart-stopping recipes you could ever imagine. When one of the ingredients is "one jar cheez whiz", you know to steer clear.  :lmao:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 05:08:35 PM »
Those privately group published ones are great. I have one from my mother when she was a volunteer at a hospital, so all the hospital volunteers, nurses, doctors, etc., contributed recipes. It has some of the nastiest heart-stopping recipes you could ever imagine. When one of the ingredients is "one jar cheez whiz", you know to steer clear.  :lmao:

That explains nearly all of the hospital food I've had. 

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 07:15:06 PM »
I don't have many cookbooks, maybe 3 that I haven't looked at in years...but I do collect recipes.  I also learned most of my cooking from my mother...who is an excellent italian cook.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 08:49:15 PM »
I have several cookbooks,such as Better Home and Garden and Betty Crocker). But I try to stay simple (country cooking)

I try, but Thor is the great cook in the house. He don't need a book and his cooking taste like a gourmet meal.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.