Author Topic: I can't believe I am dealing with this again...  (Read 8287 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
I can't believe I am dealing with this again...
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:07:59 PM »
We had a rat in our attic when we lived in Dallas.  This was over a year ago.  My husband put poison in the attic....HUGE mistake.  The rat died in the attic and smelled sickeningly sweet yet like rotting flesh.  But the sweet smell almost overwhelmed the rotting flesh smell.  My husband went up in the attic and finally found the dead rat (it was huge, like the size of a small cat).  He cleaned it up, took the surrounding insulation away and tossed the rat.  It still smelled for a LONG time.  There could have been one in the wall and that is why it smelled but the smell did get better after he got the rat out.  It took about a month for the smell to finally go away.  You really couldn't get away from the smell, it was overwhelming.  :puke:

A few months ago after we moved to CA the dog was going crazy early in the morning (well before 5am).  My husband went down stairs and guess what....it was a rat.  Our dog caught and killed it.  We couldn't figure out how the rat got into the house.  At that time we did leave the back door open so the dogs could come in and out but you would have thought we would have seen it. We figured it could have gotten in through the fireplace but it could have gotten in some other way.  Their aren't any holes in the walls except for one area behind our TV where the wires go through the wall for the cables.  My husband has since done something with the hole.

ANYWAY, for the past week or so when I would walk through the doorway from our TV room to the living room I smelled a faint skanky smell.  I drove everyone crazy making them walk by the same area and smell.  No one smelled it but me.  Yesterday it was strong.  My daughter came home and asked what the fishy smell was.  It is the strongest by the fireplace.  It doesn't smell the same as the dead rat we had in our house in Dallas.  The dead rat in Dallas smelled disgusting and sweet at the same time.  This smells more like fish but sometimes I think it doesn't smell like fish but more like something rotten.  It does not smell sweet.  I googled the fish smell in the house and I kept coming up with something electrical.  My husband  smelled it too when he came home.  He checked the outlets and the lights around the area but he didn't take any apart or anything.  When we try to pinpoint the smell we can't.  It also comes and goes.  When he got up this morning he said it didn't smell but when I walked by the area about an  hour ago smelled.  I just went down stairs to check again and the smell is gone.  Would a dead animal smell (like a mouse) come and go or would it be constant?  We didn't plug anything in or turn on any of the lights after I found the info online about it possibly being electrical so if it was electrical what would make it come back if we don't have anything turned on or plugged in?

Do dead mice smell different than dead rats?  Does a dead animal smell different if it is poisoned?  Anyone ever have a smell in their house that ended up being an electrical problem?  Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
Re: I can't believe I am dealing with this again...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 02:04:12 PM »
Well......unless your house is very old (with paper/cloth wiring insulation), overheated and/or shorted wiring smells nothing like a dead rodent.......it has an acrid very identifyable smell.......

That said, it is not uncommon in a house with a rodent problem for said rodents to chew the insulation on the wiring, and proceed to cook/electrocute himself, and then you are dealing with a combination of two odors........overheated wiring, and cooked rodent..........

doc

ON EDIT:  You mentioned that the odor is only intermittently present near the fireplace......we have had birds become trapped in the spark arrestor on top of our chimney......subsequently die, and only smell the odor when the wind is such to create a draft down the chimney......you might want to check that.....
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:09:29 PM by TVDOC »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:13:11 PM »
Well......unless your house is very old (with paper/cloth wiring insulation), overheated and/or shorted wiring smells nothing like a dead rodent.......it has an acrid very identifyable smell.......

That said, it is not uncommon in a house with a rodent problem for said rodents to chew the insulation on the wiring, and proceed to cook/electrocute himself, and then you are dealing with a combination of two odors........overheated wiring, and cooked rodent..........

docDo

ON EDIT:  You mentioned that the odor is only intermittently present near the fireplace......we have had birds become trapped in the spark arrestor on top of our chimney......subsequently die, and only smell the odor when the wind is such to create a draft down the chimney......you might want to check that.....

The house was built in 1949 and there was an addition built in 2001.  My husband said that the whole house was not rewired when they did the addition.  The area where the smell is coming from is the "old" part of the house.  It smells nothing like the dead rat smell we had in Dallas.  It smells more like dead fish than dead rat.  Do different animals smell different when they die?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »
Here is a link I found on electric issues smelling like fish:  LINK

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:18:30 PM »
The house was built in 1949 and there was an addition built in 2001.  My husband said that the whole house was not rewired when they did the addition.  The area where the smell is coming from is the "old" part of the house.  It smells nothing like the dead rat smell we had in Dallas.  It smells more like dead fish than dead rat.  Do different animals smell different when they die?

1949 would be at the end of the era paper/cloth wiring insulation, so you very well could have an electrical problem.....however, I don't think that it would smell like "fish" unless the wiring was wet from some form of water intrusion.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 02:20:36 PM »
Here is thread where fish smell and electrical issues are talked about:  LINK

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 02:23:16 PM »
Here is a link I found on electric issues smelling like fish:  LINK

I suppose this might be the case......I've never smelled an electrical problem like that, however our sense of smell is very subjective.......

This being the case, you need to disassemble every switch and outlet in that part of the house (with the power turned off, of course), and check the terminals for tightness, and arcing........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 02:32:41 PM »
I suppose this might be the case......I've never smelled an electrical problem like that, however our sense of smell is very subjective.......

This being the case, you need to disassemble every switch and outlet in that part of the house (with the power turned off, of course), and check the terminals for tightness, and arcing........

doc

I'll let my husband do that.  :p  I'll update if we figure out what it is so that if anyone else here has the a similar problem it might help.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »
I would make sure to have your chimney checked out too.  Couldn't hurt. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 02:40:08 PM »
I'll let my husband do that.  :p  I'll update if we figure out what it is so that if anyone else here has the a similar problem it might help.

Well.....you might want to go through that section of the house.....turn all of the electrical devices that are normally plugged in on.......wait for ten minutes or so, and place your fingers on the cover plates of all of the outlets and switches.......if one feels warm......just take the cover plate off and sniff it.

You can do that without turning off the power.  If you find one that is warm, and smells with the cover off.....locate and turn that circuit breaker off, until the problem is corrected.

doc

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 03:34:46 PM »
Are there any species of gecko or other smallish lizards where you are ? If so is it possible they have gotten into the back of a power point or inside an electrical device.

Back when I was a kid we had these huge lumpy fan controllers hanging off the wall for the ceiling fans - and the local gecko population would get in there and get fried on the live wires.

You'd get this waft of dead-reptile every now and again, and until we figured out where it kept coming from it'd drive you nuts trying to find the source. The best way of course it to just follow your nose and sniff all the electrical appliances and sockets near where the smell is encountered.

Reptile has a unique smell - that once you've encountered will always be able to recognize. It could even be said to be a slightly fishy smell.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »
I know they have those roof rats out in S. CA. You can see 'em up in the palms sometimes.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline megimoo

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »
We had a rat in our attic when we lived in Dallas.  This was over a year ago.  My husband put poison in the attic....HUGE mistake.  The rat died in the attic and smelled sickeningly sweet yet like rotting flesh.  But the sweet smell almost overwhelmed the rotting flesh smell.  My husband went up in the attic and finally found the dead rat (it was huge, like the size of a small cat).  He cleaned it up, took the surrounding insulation away and tossed the rat.  It still smelled for a LONG time.  There could have been one in the wall and that is why it smelled but the smell did get better after he got the rat out.  It took about a month for the smell to finally go away.  You really couldn't get away from the smell, it was overwhelming.  :puke:

A few months ago after we moved to CA the dog was going crazy early in the morning (well before 5am).  My husband went down stairs and guess what....it was a rat.  Our dog caught and killed it.  We couldn't figure out how the rat got into the house.  At that time we did leave the back door open so the dogs could come in and out but you would have thought we would have seen it. We figured it could have gotten in through the fireplace but it could have gotten in some other way.  Their aren't any holes in the walls except for one area behind our TV where the wires go through the wall for the cables.  My husband has since done something with the hole.

ANYWAY, for the past week or so when I would walk through the doorway from our TV room to the living room I smelled a faint skanky smell.  I drove everyone crazy making them walk by the same area and smell.  No one smelled it but me.  Yesterday it was strong.  My daughter came home and asked what the fishy smell was.  It is the strongest by the fireplace.  It doesn't smell the same as the dead rat we had in our house in Dallas.  The dead rat in Dallas smelled disgusting and sweet at the same time.  This smells more like fish but sometimes I think it doesn't smell like fish but more like something rotten.  It does not smell sweet.  I googled the fish smell in the house and I kept coming up with something electrical.  My husband  smelled it too when he came home.  He checked the outlets and the lights around the area but he didn't take any apart or anything.  When we try to pinpoint the smell we can't.  It also comes and goes.  When he got up this morning he said it didn't smell but when I walked by the area about an  hour ago smelled.  I just went down stairs to check again and the smell is gone.  Would a dead animal smell (like a mouse) come and go or would it be constant?  We didn't plug anything in or turn on any of the lights after I found the info online about it possibly being electrical so if it was electrical what would make it come back if we don't have anything turned on or plugged in?

Do dead mice smell different than dead rats?  Does a dead animal smell different if it is poisoned?  Anyone ever have a smell in their house that ended up being an electrical problem?  Does anyone have any ideas?
Another thought .check to see if they used Chinese wallboard on any of the walls anywhere in the house.That stuff smells of fish when it gets wet !

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 09:29:31 AM »
I would make sure to have your chimney checked out too.  Couldn't hurt. 

That's what I'm thinking, especially since the smell comes and goes, near the fireplace. Air tends to flow in and out of the house at different times of the day through the chimney if there is no fire burning.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 04:39:26 PM »
Another thought .check to see if they used Chinese wallboard on any of the walls anywhere in the house.That stuff smells of fish when it gets wet !

How would we know if they used Chinese wallboard? 

The smell went away for the past few days but it is back today.  I only smelled it once so far.  I opened the back door in the TV room and it was gone immediately.  I just turned the lights on to see if that is what it was, I don't know how long I would have to leave them on for the smell to come back.  My husband turned them on the day he was trying to figure out what it was and he said he thought the smell was coming from the spot lights in the ceiling (he got the ladder out so he could get right up next to the lights).

Totally off topic:  The reason he didn't do anything about the lights at the time was he was getting ready to go to Home Depot to rent a cement saw to take out this huge cement cylinder that was a platform for a stupid bronze statue.  It was about 2.5' tall by 2.'5 wide, total over kill for the weight of the statue.  He broke a sledge hammer while trying to break it up.  The statue was of a girl sitting "indian style" with a butter fly on her shoulder and hand.  Totally hokie and not our style at all.  When we bought the house I tried to be as tactful as I could and asked the original homeowners if they wanted to take it with them (I thought perhaps it was some sort of memorial for a child they lost or something).  They said no that they thought it would be a nice gift for us.  They moved right around the corner (they are renting a house) and it made me nervous to take it down because I didn't want to offend them.  When we took it down my husband went over and asked them if they wanted it, this time they said they did.  My husband said they weren't offended.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 04:42:23 PM »
I know they have those roof rats out in S. CA. You can see 'em up in the palms sometimes.

I'm fairly certain it isn't a rat.  When we had the dead rat in Dallas you couldn't even go into the rooms where it smelled.  It was so strong (sickeningly sweet) and CONSTANT.  This either has to be a small animal (a lot smaller than a rat) or electrical.  I want to know though if it was a dead animal would the smell come and go or would it be constant?  Can you go a couple of days and not have it smell if it was a dead animal?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »
That's what I'm thinking, especially since the smell comes and goes, near the fireplace. Air tends to flow in and out of the house at different times of the day through the chimney if there is no fire burning.

That is on my husband's "to do" list Crock.  The fireplace is a two sided fireplace.  One side (the living room) has remote control starter gas logs, the other side was once the incinerator and is wood burning (which I want to rip out someday, takes up WAY too much space.  The TV room used to be the back porch).  We have only started the fireplace in the living room a couple of times, we have yet to start a fire in the other side.  I wonder if there is a leak around the fireplace and water could be getting in (it has rained here so much lately)?  Yet it doesn't smell like moldy wet smell, it smells like fish.

He did open the attic door (it's in our closet) and looked around to see if he could see any droppings from a rat or mouse, he couldn't.    *sigh*  I have a feeling this house it going to be a money pit.  

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
That is on my husband's "to do" list Crock.  The fireplace is a two sided fireplace.  One side (the living room) has remote control starter gas logs, the other side was once the incinerator and is wood burning (which I want to rip out someday, takes up WAY too much space.  The TV room used to be the back porch).  We have only started the fireplace in the living room a couple of times, we have yet to start a fire in the other side.  I wonder if there is a leak around the fireplace and water could be getting in (it has rained here so much lately)?  Yet it doesn't smell like moldy wet smell, it smells like fish.

He did open the attic door (it's in our closet) and looked around to see if he could see any droppings from a rat or mouse, he couldn't.    *sigh*  I have a feeling this house it going to be a money pit.  

You could have a dead leeezard in there.  Or live ones too.  They might smell like fish.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 06:09:37 AM »
If there's a damper for the fireplace, try closing it and see if the smell goes away.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 05:09:08 PM »

Here's an idea, have a fire for a few days. Smoke the little bugger. If it's in there, the smell will go away, or it will smell like smoked fish.  :-)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »
I'm fairly certain it isn't a rat.  When we had the dead rat in Dallas you couldn't even go into the rooms where it smelled.  It was so strong (sickeningly sweet) and CONSTANT.  This either has to be a small animal (a lot smaller than a rat) or electrical.  I want to know though if it was a dead animal would the smell come and go or would it be constant?  Can you go a couple of days and not have it smell if it was a dead animal?

Yes, if the bones were picked clean from another animal and/or with a bit of help from bacterial and fungal decay. Freezing air temperature would also accomplish that.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »
I don't know... if you had a dead animal in your house, you'd know it.  We had a snake get stuck in the HVAC duct one summer.  It was overwhelming.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »
Yes, if the bones were picked clean from another animal and/or with a bit of help from bacterial and fungal decay. Freezing air temperature would also accomplish that.

I live in Southern California, no freezing weather. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »
I don't know... if you had a dead animal in your house, you'd know it.  We had a snake get stuck in the HVAC duct one summer.  It was overwhelming.

When we first moved to Dallas we rented a house.  It was so gross, I'm talking really gross.  When we first went to see it it appeared really clean.  The owners were living in it and had just bought another house and apparently couldn't get what they wanted for the house.  We later found out why.  All the windows had TONS of bugs in them (between the windows and screens), there was a dead bird in the fireplace (it had to reek when it was decomposing).  The main bathroom shower had tiles falling off the wall in the shower, the backer board was so moldy.  It had cockroaches, mice, holes in the walls where she had things hanging to cover  the holes (one thing was a bear skin....with the head :puke: ).

One night about a month before my  stroke I sat up in bed because I was having double vision.  I was describing what it was like to my husband.  It felt like my eyes were fighting each other (if that makes sense). I asked him to look at my eyes to see if they were cross eyed.  So he is looking at my eyes when he said "SNAKE".  I laughed and smacked him and told him I was serious.  He told me that there was a snake for real.  He pointed to the window and between the wall and  the window molding a snake was slithering out.  

I was never so glad to move out of a place than I was that house.  After we moved the land lady refused to give us back our deposit until my husband fixed the sliding glass door screen that was ripped before we moved in.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:57:31 PM by BEG »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 06:00:16 PM »
Update: I haven't smelled it since the last time I posted about it.  My husband swore he smelled it last night but not in the area we normally smell it.   I couldn't smell it when I went over to see if I could smell it.  This is frustrating.