Author Topic: $5 Million Lure to Get Rachel, Zenyatta  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Specbid

$5 Million Lure to Get Rachel, Zenyatta
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:26:13 AM »
 Updated: Friday, February 5, 2010 9:27 AM
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:38 PM

Calling it “one of the most important moments at Oaklawn and in Arkansas sports,” Oaklawn Park president Charles J. Cella has upped the purse of the April 3 Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. I) to $5 million provided champions Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta both start, according to a track release.

At a morning press conference Feb. 4, Cella reported that he has spoken with the owners of both Rachel Alexandra (Jess Jackson and Harold McCormick) and Zenyatta (Jerry and Ann Moss). Both parties showed enthusiasm for bringing their champions to Oaklawn for the first Saturday of the Racing Festival of the South, Calla said.

Shortly after the Oaklawn Park announcement, Jackson issued a statement indicating his horse would participate, provided she was healthy and it fit her schedule, and Zenyatta's trainer, John Shirreffs, weighed in with a comment.

"My family and I would love to see her run at Oaklawn Park," Jackson said in the statement. "If she is in top form and it fits in our schedule, we will be there. Rachel, as you know, likes the track having won twice there last year. As you have heard me say many times before, a number of factors must be considered when deciding where to race a horse, the number one factor being the condition of the horse. Rachel will tell us when she is ready to start her 2010 campaign and we humans must agree she is in top form.”

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/55201/5-million-lure-to-get-rachel-zenyatta

Offline Specbid

Re: $5 Million Lure to Get Rachel, Zenyatta
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:27:05 AM »
Love to see this happen...

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »
Love to see this happen...

As would I, but at Saratoga.  Oh well . . . It happens.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Specbid

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 11:06:29 AM »
As would I, but at Saratoga.  Oh well . . . It happens.

Yes, I would've liked that. Oaklawn is a little far for me to drive.
This makes sense though. Zenyatta's only race on dirt was at OP, so they know she likes it there. Rachel ran big twice there.

Offline Specbid

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 07:09:52 PM »
As would I, but at Saratoga.  Oh well . . . It happens.

Did you see Quality Road's race today? One of the best performances I've ever seen.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/55238/quality-road-breaks-own-track-record-in-donn
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:14:08 PM by Specbid »