Author Topic: I lost my home- CC shout out.  (Read 6685 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: I lost my home- CC shout out.
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2010, 11:30:34 PM »
My ex didn't have a thought or concern when she kicked my ass out of the house. Of course it was HER house. She didn't even care that I had no place to go, no living relatives, etc. And she works for the same company as you, Deb. Then, as the house was foreclosed on, she managed to find a townhome that one of her friends bought and rented to her. Here I am, struggling to make ends meet, while she's sitting all fat, dumb, and happy, literally. OK, I'm whining, I know.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 11:37:32 PM »

I've been thinking about this thread a lot tonight.

I try really hard to not think too much about what I sometimes have to do ....only because if I dwell on it...I start feeling responsible that I must help these individuals.

While I often will try to help them find a place to live...that's not my job and though I recognize it certainly is not my fault that they are in this situation....I still feel rotten because I am the one that has to tell them.

It never gets easy to look someone in the face and tell them they have to get out of their home.

I offer my heartfelt sympathies Deb. I've twice deployed on national disasters working in safety and security. I had to kick people out of evac shelters for bad behavior. Granted they were dickheads but sometimes they were dickheads with kids. And even if they didn't have kids it was still a human being who had lost everything that wasn't crammed under a flimsy aluminum cot. And when they got washed out of the shelter system they literally had NO place to go.

I had to supervise young people turning away crowds who expected services and relief supplies at a place where there weren't any. I told them that I knew they had come down to help people but that we weren't helping people today. We were moving them along as quickly as possible. Hi there theres nothing being distributed here this sheet of paper has the numbers you need to call sorry thank you please move your vehicle. One soft, one firm and then one curtailed dismissal. Don't make eye contact dont engage. It breaks your heart.  :(

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline sofa king

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 12:07:10 AM »
heh, ot but funny (i think)

the title of this post reminds me of a bobcat goldthwait routine i saw him do at the half shell on comm ave in boston back in the 1980's (dude was funny back in the day...)

"i lost my job.  i didn't really lose it.  i know where it is, its just every time go back there someone else is doing it."

then he tells a few more jokes, followed by...

"i lost my girlfriend.  i didn't really lose her.  i know where she is, its just every time go back there someone else is doing her."

heh.  ok, so maybe i am simple, but i always laugh when someone says "i lost my..."

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2010, 08:04:56 AM »
Maybe that $3100 includes his property taxes?!?  Even so, that is way too much for someone making $130k a year.  Our house payment back in Texas was $1500 a month and we made quite a bit more than this guy claims he did when we lived in Texas.  I don't even want to tell you how much our payment is here in CA.  It makes me want to throw up every first of the month.  I'll just tell you that we paid more than 20% down to be able to get a conforming loan (we didn't want a jumbo loan or the interest rate that comes with a jumbo loan).  For those of you who know mortgages you can probably figure out what our payment is.  God I hate California.   

I've got a pretty good idea of the payment and the property taxes.  Yeah, I feel for ya sister.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2010, 08:14:40 AM »
Someone might have already brough this up, but I don't have time to read through 4 pages.

This is a lot of baloney, starting with this:

Quote from:
GiveMeFreedom

Sure we got caught up in the easy money, but we could afford it. We lived real right and happy. Making that house payment was too easy. So we took out a second.

Making the payments were easy.  You had plenty of money and paying off things were simple.  So why did you get a second mortgage?  That makes absolutely no sense.  You had absolutely no problem making your payments so much so that you cashed-out on a second mortgage so you have have more pocket money.  Yeah, that doesn't add up, primitive.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »

hellsbeagle   (32 posts)           Wed Feb-03-10 12:46 PM
Response to Original message
89. I lost my house in 2008 after I was scapegoated for a derailment.

Now I am 47 years old and my life savings are gone, I am stuck working at a union-busting outfit in Virginia for one third the pay I was making before. So far I have been waiting 18 months for a NMB referee to get of their ass and make a decision in my case so that I can go home to my family in Texas. And none of the organizations that are supposed to help/protect me gave a ****.

GiveMeFreedom, my brother/sister, I will be standing right next to you on the barricades once the shit goes down. And so will my dog.

It is time to hit the streets!

What is a NMB referee and why does this person have to wait for a decision by a NMB referee so they can move to Texas to be with their family?

readmoreoften (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 01:09 PM
103. I feel ya. Welcome back to realizing that you're working class and that your owners don't give a

shit about you. (That's George Carlin, not me.)

I'm immorally and irresponsibly in debt for going out and getting a Ph.D. (I should've WORKED while I was getting my Ph.D. I should've SAVED... oh wait, I did.) Now I'm trying to get by on my low-pay gig. (Right, I should've gotten my Ph.D. in something more PRACTICAL. Oh wait? It is practical. Okay it should've been MORE practical.)

Right-wing memes abound don't they? Best of luck.

Obviously your PhD was a stupid move, you didn't say what it was that you got your PhD in.  I bet it was in something stupid.

leftygolfer (72 posts)           Thu Feb-04-10 10:55 AM
Response to Reply #109
293. If I made half that...

Maybe even a third of that, I'd be dancing in the street. Sorry, I know it's a tough time for everyone, but it's hard to get worked up for someone who is in a position many of us aspire to.

Now the real DU'ers are coming out

superconnected   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 01:28 PM
115. Don't pay another dime. You need it to live on after you leave there anyway.

Edited on Wed Feb-03-10 01:47 PM by superconnected
Good credit is only good for one thing - more credit.

You are fortunate that at least your wife works still.

You will make it. Head up. You are correct, you are not a big player. You really were set up to fail many times - the homeloan in the first place, the re-mortgage, the help for home onwners program that took your money, and the bank still trying to take your money when they made up the numbers of your income and most likely knew when you walked in the door what they were really going to do.

I'm sorry this cost you your dream house. But, let it go. Don't blame yourself, chin up. Declare bankruptcy if you can and try to get it on only one of you for all of your debt - that may take some fixing of getting credit and other items in to only one of your names. And then use the others good name after the bankruptcy to try to recover. You can own a house again and on better terms.

Best wishes to you. Geniuses have gotten screwed in this economy and this housing market. So don't even think of beating yourself up. You need yourself to prop yourself up. Take what good you can from it. A learning experience. Move on. I'll bet your future does end up bright.

It's never your fault, you are a victim.

earth mom   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 03:02 PM
Response to Reply #134
145. This has EVERYTHING to do with Obama. He has done everything to help the banksters

and very little to help the MAJORITY of the people.

If Obama had put all those trillions he gave to the banksters into Green Technology and Green Jobs, I'd bet the economy would be almost back on track by now!

I'm sorry but.....  :lmao:

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2010, 11:22:58 AM »
Someone might have already brough this up, but I don't have time to read through 4 pages.

This is a lot of baloney, starting with this:

Making the payments were easy.  You had plenty of money and paying off things were simple.  So why did you get a second mortgage?  That makes absolutely no sense.  You had absolutely no problem making your payments so much so that you cashed-out on a second mortgage so you have have more pocket money.  Yeah, that doesn't add up, primitive.

Boat, new cars, plane, some toy they just absolutely couldn't live without I'll bet.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2010, 11:27:34 AM »
NMB Referee = National Mediation Board. Someone appealed their firing. The only train derailment I have personal knowledge of happened when the crew I knew fell asleep and didn't know they were dragging cars  :lmao: Can you believe they got fired for that?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
Ok I'm bored.  I'm just doing laundry right now, I could be cleaning bathrooms but reading this thread over at DU is more fun (believe it or not).

Naturyl   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 03:13 PM
Response to Reply #146
158. In the OP's shoes?   

With an 86k income? Sure, absolutely, where can I sign up? My household makes a tenth of that, and will never own a house to lose.

Like I said, a lot of people would love to have the OP's problems. My empathy is reserved for those who actually need it.

county worker   (1000+ posts)           Wed Feb-03-10 03:22 PM
Response to Reply #158
166. You don't have empathy to give.

People hurt no matter what their financial position is.

Naturyl   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 03:53 PM
Response to Reply #166
191. Yeah, and rich kids cry themselves to sleep   

Because they can't have an Xbox 360 in every room. They really do hurt, and then pain is real.

And yet, it is not deserving of sympathy.

It is you who does not have empathy, because while you are shedding tears for someone will be fine, you are devaluing those who really need compassion.

Pacifist Patriot   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 03:05 PM
Response to Reply #143
148. I'm not so sure about that.

My family is comparable to his and I would develop a bleeding ulcer if I had to deal with a $3,100 mortgage.

No one should ever want someone else's problems. They know not for what they ask.

Naturyl   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 03:18 PM
Response to Reply #148
163. I wouldn't ever be dealing with that problem.   

Why on Earth would anyone have a $3,100 mortgage to begin with? Can we say conspicuous over-consumption? My god. No one on Earth needs that much house. I'd gladly have this problem, so I could sell the McMansion, get a house with a $500 mortgage, and use the other $2,600 on something worthwhile and non-obscene.

Pacifist Patriot   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 03:29 PM
Response to Reply #163
171. You might actually be unable to sell McMansion...

The situation is not remotely as easy as you suggest. Very possibly the housing values have declined below the combined value of the two mortgages.

You do realize a McMansion in Alabama can easily be a 900 square foot 3 bedroom 1 bath house in California.

Honestly, your ignorance, simplistic views of home ownership and judgmentalism is disheartening.

Naturyl   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 03:46 PM
Response to Reply #171
182. Meh, wahetevr   

You're an apologist for wealth. Meh, nothing new there. DU is drowning in them.

Pacifist Patriot   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 04:55 PM
Response to Reply #182
213. Bwaahaaa!!!!!!!!! An apologist for wealth?

Oh if you only knew. Thanks for the laugh though.

Midlodemocrat   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 08:36 PM
Response to Reply #213
249. Darling. Can I tell you something?

You are trying to talk sense into someone who is a total hater of anyone that has been able to make even $1 more than them over the course of the year. It's disgusting. It's not progressive. And it's not worthy of our time or our arguments.

People on this site never take location into account when discussing mortgages, which I find fascinating. And I also find the absolute height of ignorance. Do some research. Find out what the property taxes are. Find out what the homeowner's insurance is.

And then? And only then are you able to lecture someone on why they shouldn't commute 2 hours each way for their job which barely covers the bills.

****ing disgusting. The ignorance here is ****ing staggering.

Not you, sweetie. I wuvs you.

Pacifist Patriot   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 11:06 PM
Response to Reply #249
258. No harm in trying I suppose.

And I have to agree. The ignorance here is indeed staggering. No concept whatsoever of cost of living variances and market appraisal v. loan value certainly leads one to assume the conversation is being held with someone who has never been in a position to aquire property. And then to find out that property ownership is somehow elitist. Yikes!

Naturyl   (1000+ posts)             Thu Feb-04-10 05:54 AM
Response to Reply #249
278. Yeah, dippy.   

Go ahead and use the conservative argument that people who criticize wealth are just jealous of anyone who has more than they do. Hannity would be proud.

It's not my fault that wealthy people are duped, brainwashed, and indoctrinated into pursuing money only to find that they can be deprived of their status symbols and merit badges at the whim of their capitalist slave-masters. It's not my fault anyone on Earth is duped/brainwashed/indoctrinated sufficiently to commute 4 hours a day just to be exploited by an employer, much less 2 minutes. It's not my fault anyone is duped/brainwashed/indoctrinated enough to get themselves on the hook for a $3,100 a month mortgage on a McMansion. None of that is my fault, because I've been advocating against all of it vehemently for years.

For all those reasons and more, your conventional consumerist-excusing definition of "progressive" is of less interest to me than the atomic formula that causes paint to dry.

Naturyl   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 03:50 PM
Response to Reply #184
187. Compassion is for those who need it.   

Such as the poor. 86k a year ain't poor.

The OP will be just fine.

cap (1000+ posts)             Thu Feb-04-10 07:54 AM
Response to Reply #187
285. $86K in many areas of CA is lower middle class...

it would be a fortune in the hills of Alabama. If you work part-time in Walmart in CA you make more than part-time in Walmart in Alabama.

Midlodemocrat   (1000+ posts)             Thu Feb-04-10 09:28 AM
Response to Reply #285
287. Exactly.

$3000 a month for a mortgage in AL would indeed be for a McMansion. In parts of VA? It would barely cover the rent on a decent condo.

The ignorance here is staggering, absolutely staggering.

Naturyl   (1000+ posts)             Thu Feb-04-10 05:58 AM
Response to Reply #219
279. Heh... case in point   

Edited on Thu Feb-04-10 06:03 AM by Naturyl
How does it not make sense that someone whose situation is actually bad wouldn't want to trade places with someone whose situation isn't?

Can't you folks understand that sympathy and empathy are for people who actually have significant problems?

By far the #1 thing wrong with the Democratic Party today is that there are too many people who have money, and too many brainwashed sympathizers who don't have money, but who defend the wealthy class because that is what American culture has indoctrinated them to do. It is the single solitary biggest reason the Democratic party is striking out year after year and the right wing is taking over this country.

Repeat after me: the wealthy are our enemies. If you don't understand that, ask yourself why. Democrats 50 years ago did.

Naturyl   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 03:48 PM
Response to Reply #173
186. Sell all the consumerist McRubbish, pay down the debts, and live modestly   

Modest living on 86k would free up about 60k for charity and social work.

LOL yeah right, you are Mother Teresa.

Naturyl   (1000+ posts)             Thu Feb-04-10 06:12 AM
Response to Reply #238
280. $86k is 10 times our gross family income   

Edited on Thu Feb-04-10 06:19 AM by Naturyl
And yet, most of these people have the nerve to admonish me and say "tsk tsk tsk" for offering the view that the OP will be fine.

Where's my compassion? It's reserved for the kids in Africa, India, and Haiti who make a tenth of what I do and are dying by thousands every day, covered in flies and their own filth.

As much as I would like it to be otherwise, empathy is limited resource, because human energy is limited. There are real problems in this world that need our attention, rather than world's smallest fiddle stories about rich people losing their McMansions.

Last month, on the 10th (with 21 days to go in the month), I had exactly $1.00 left on my SSI debit card. I made a special trip to the store to donate that last dollar to Haiti. While a single dollar really isn't shit in the big picture, I bet it's more than the McMansion owners gave, proportionally. And even if it it isn't, it doesn't change the fact that people are whining about having wasted thousands every month on the BS status-symbol "American Dream" and losing it, when they could have been saving a hundred lives a month the time. Forgive me if I feel compelled, as a true progressive and a person of conscience, to say "boo-hoo."

Just once, I want to hear someone moaning that they can no longer pay their starving child sponsorship accounts. Have never seen it a single time in America and I doubt I ever will.

LIAR

juno jones   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 03:28 PM
170. I am sorry to hear this.

I lost my house a couple of years ago at the start of all of this.

It's sad to see how many people blame the victims of the predation of banks and lenders. But then, I suppose they need something to boster their fragile egos against the knowledge that this is in fact aimed at us all. What remains is most of us were good little boys and girls who played the game as we were supposed to not realizing that there is some pretty bent rules buried down in the playbook to be used against us when the time is right.

Research every legal avenue you can, stall them, ask for the note to be produced, stay as long as you can, even a talk with lawyer might give you some insight. It sounds like you have some pretty good documentation, they might back down before a legal challenge, if you were to go that route.

Good luck.   I know it is no consolation, but you are not alone out there.

DollyM   (580 posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 11:57 PM
267. my heart broke as I read your letter . . .

All I can do is say I'm sorry . . . it is hard giving up your dreams. We had to downsize when we moved 10 years ago to a double wide trailor but I am glad we did. Our housepayment is $300.00 a month so we will survive. The downside to that is, we only earned $3000.00 in income last year! There are just very few jobs here and with our age, it is even harder to find something. My 80 year old mother helps us out quite a bit, if it were not for her, we would be homeless. Still, that is not something that we can do forever or even want to do, it hurts me deeply to accept help from a parent that I expected to be helping instead at this point in my life.
I know you are hurt and angry, I was when we had to give up our dream house, a 2 story colonial we had just remodled. But you do what you have to do and really, in the end, it is all just stuff. When you can see past this, you will hug your family a little tighter and realize that the people who love you and that you love make you a very wealthy person. I know it hurts now, but you will get through it. They can take your house but they can't take away the people that love you.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »
It would be fun to throw in there that all the high cost of living places are also the high taxed liberal ones.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
I have a problem with the natural primitive's story.

(As an aside, the natural primitive is a Caucasian version of the bobbling primitive.)

The natural primitive describes a "gross income" of circa $8,600 a year.

The natural primitive alleges to be on the social security disability gravy train.

I'm wondering if the circa $8,600 is what the wife earns working.

Which means the natural primitive hasn't included his own "income," from the gravy train.

And so I suspect the natural primitive is more affluent than the natural primitive's letting on.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2010, 11:43:44 AM »
Midlodemocrat   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 08:36 PM
Response to Reply #213
249. Darling. Can I tell you something?

You are trying to talk sense into someone who is a total hater of anyone that has been able to make even $1 more than them over the course of the year. It's disgusting. It's not progressive. And it's not worthy of our time or our arguments.

That describes every single DUmmie to a tee.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2010, 11:56:09 AM »
This one got my attention . . .

earth mom   (1000+ posts)             Wed Feb-03-10 03:02 PM
Response to Reply #134
145. This has EVERYTHING to do with Obama. He has done everything to help the banksters

and very little to help the MAJORITY of the people.

If Obama had put all those trillions he gave to the banksters into Green Technology and Green Jobs, I'd bet the economy would be almost back on track by now!

The only think that Obama is making green is all of you DUers--with envy.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »
I have a problem with the natural primitive's story.

(As an aside, the natural primitive is a Caucasian version of the bobbling primitive.)

The natural primitive describes a "gross income" of circa $8,600 a year.

The natural primitive alleges to be on the social security disability gravy train.

I'm wondering if the circa $8,600 is what the wife earns working.

Which means the natural primitive hasn't included his own "income," from the gravy train.

And so I suspect the natural primitive is more affluent than the natural primitive's letting on.

Maybe the $8600 is the SSI amount.

Isn't SSI tax free money?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »

Maybe the $8600 is the SSI amount.

Isn't SSI tax free money?

I'm assuming the amount the natural primitive gets, on the gravy train, is little enough to be non-taxable.

See, the natural primitive was very careful to use the word "gross" in "gross income," leading one to suspect someone in the household is on a payroll somewhere, where taxes, social security, and medicare are deducted.

I'm not 100% sure, but I bet the natural primitive's wife works, and that's the income to which the natural primitive is referring.

So it's reasonable to assume the natural primitive is circa twice as affluent as he claims to be.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2010, 01:33:25 PM »

I've been thinking about this thread a lot tonight.

I try really hard to not think too much about what I sometimes have to do ....only because if I dwell on it...I start feeling responsible that I must help these individuals.

While I often will try to help them find a place to live...that's not my job and though I recognize it certainly is not my fault that they are in this situation....I still feel rotten because I am the one that has to tell them.

It never gets easy to look someone in the face and tell them they have to get out of their home.

I used to work for a collection agency decades ago. Sometimes it was heartbreaking because there were those who had truly worked hard and fallen on hard times. The vast majority, though, were deadbeats with a ready excuse. Losing a house (even when you brought it on yourself) is harder than being sent to a collection agency for an unpaid medical bill. If you didn't do what you did then the rest of us would have to absorb the blow.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Specbid

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »
Last month, on the 10th (with 21 days to go in the month), I had exactly $1.00 left on my SSI debit card. I made a special trip to the store to donate that last dollar to Haiti.

Hahahaha...so this effin' Dummie is trying to brag about giving his last dollar to a charity when it's actually the taxpayer's dollar.

Forgive me Lord for preaching, but maybe this Dummie should read his Bible in regards to bragging about charitable giving..."when giving alms, let not your left hand know what your right hand is giving." Or something to that effect.  :-)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »

Hahahaha...so this effin' Dummie is trying to brag about giving his last dollar to a charity when it's actually the taxpayer's dollar.

Forgive me Lord for preaching, but maybe this Dummie should read his Bible in regards to bragging about charitable giving..."when giving alms, let not your left hand know what your right hand is giving." Or something to that effect.  :-)

HA So I actually donated that $1.  Think I can write that off on my taxes?   :p

Offline Specbid

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2010, 08:05:35 PM »
HA So I actually donated that $1.  Think I can write that off on my taxes?   :p

Well, I think everyone here can claim a piece of that dollar, but go right ahead, I won't tell anyone.