Author Topic: I lost my home- CC shout out.  (Read 6725 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: I lost my home- CC shout out.
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 09:45:46 AM »
WTF is right.

130K a year and not only do you think you qualify for a Government handout for your house payment...but with that kind of income you can't make they payment?

Sounds to me like someone is living beyond their means.

Especially with a six figure income.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline kenth

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Another post in the thread. See if you can spot the discrepancies.

jotsy  Donating Member  (468 posts)
Response to Original message
84. My home of 15 years was bought at an auction on Monday, January 25.

The original loan amount was just under $73,000. We have made $100,000 in payments but not seen as having an equitable stake in the property. How we got here is a result of no work from October 08 to March 09. We were already struggling as a result of changes in the wage structure. My spouse became an electrician in '96 which at the time included benefits as well as vacation and holiday pay. By 2004, not only were employers no longer offering that kind of compensation, the wage, in and of itself had gone down. We tried to gather ourselves, moved the credit debt to a second mortgage, and then worked for a general who wrote rubber pay checks, we got our money...3 months later. I had called the labor department, the contractor's board, even the local police and DA, I thought it was illegal to knowingly write bad checks. I was repeatedly and consistently instructed to obtain a lawyer, which I set in search of, but told by that crowd they wouldn't be interested in pursuing a matter where money was an issue. No slice of pay for them, they passed, tyvm. So by the end of the first quarter of 09, he's finally back to work, but we're 90 days out on the mortgage, we sent the mortgage service company two and a half house payments to enter a loan modification program, assured that every penny we sent would apply to overdue payments, but instead they used what we sent them to initiate the eviction process. He talked to them the weekend before and was assured again that the house was not to be auctioned, but on Monday night some perky little thing in a trendy trench coat knocked on my door and said she was represented the buyer, who wants us out in 10 days.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 11:24:40 AM »
I want those two minutes of my life back, kenth.  That was a whole shitload of failed bouncy in there.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 11:33:56 AM »

Then rent one of your rooms. Should help you pay your mortgage.
Good suggestion. I know a drunk in Wichita and another one in Denver who are looking for a place. There was also an author who writes novels about intergalactic paranormal sex crimes who was on the verge of homelessness. Maybe they could split it three ways.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Well why didn't they save some of huge income for a rainy day? When my husband was laid off we had insurance that made the payments but his new job pays less than the one he had before. We went to our lender, explained the situation and they adjusted our payments so they were more in line with our income. We didn't have to use any special program or anything. Just a pleasant conversation with the loan officer. Why not try something like that?

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline kenth

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
I want those two minutes of my life back, kenth.  That was a whole shitload of failed bouncy in there.

I love how the actual foreclosure was completely skipped over. From late payment sent directly to new owner showing up out of the blue.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 12:02:29 PM »
Well why didn't they save some of huge income for a rainy day? When my husband was laid off we had insurance that made the payments but his new job pays less than the one he had before. We went to our lender, explained the situation and they adjusted our payments so they were more in line with our income. We didn't have to use any special program or anything. Just a pleasant conversation with the loan officer. Why not try something like that?

Cindie

DUmmy's don't request anything. They make demands. Sense of entitlements and all that.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »

Cindie

Do you honestly think a DUmmie could have a pleasant conversation with anyone, let alone an evil , rethuglican banker?

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »
It is inconceivable to me that someone would sign up for a $3100/month mortgage payment on a gross income of $130,000. It they have any other obligations, like a car payment, insurance, savings, credit card, kids, any of the expenses that come along with having a normal middle class life, that payment is crazy and unsustainable for someone who's only making $130K. It's also inconceivable that lenders were approving such loans.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
Maybe that $3100 includes his property taxes?!?  Even so, that is way too much for someone making $130k a year.  Our house payment back in Texas was $1500 a month and we made quite a bit more than this guy claims he did when we lived in Texas.  I don't even want to tell you how much our payment is here in CA.  It makes me want to throw up every first of the month.  I'll just tell you that we paid more than 20% down to be able to get a conforming loan (we didn't want a jumbo loan or the interest rate that comes with a jumbo loan).  For those of you who know mortgages you can probably figure out what our payment is.  God I hate California.   

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »
$86k/year?

I make just under half that and I got a 5/2 I picked-up for $118k with a monthly 15% lower than what I was renting for.

:loser:

You should have sold the ****ing house and moved to something smaller.

LOSER: But I want my house!

MSB: First of all, it isn't your house until you satisfy the mortgage. Until then it belongs to the BofA depositors whose money was used to underwrite it...and now MY money since I--as a taxpayer--had to bail out BofA. "Fiduciary responsibility" look it up.

Second, you lost your house anyway. Now you're out of a house AND a credit rating to get back into another one because you spent all your time and energy writing letters to your senator looking to have him extort other people's money to save you instead of taking all that time you spent unemployed working towards something you could afford.

$86k WHILE unemployed?!?!?!

You don't deserve it. Go die under a bridge.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
I am a construction worker, I admit I made great money when the housing market was building like crazy, yea it was easy to make $80k plus a year working 2200 hours or more a year. And my wife is a teacher who makes an easy $50K a year, so yea, $130,000 a year was good, damn good. That was right up to 2007. I knew before most that something was terribly wrong, as the big home builders where building less and buying less. I watched as my job went from 40+ hours a week to maybe 2 weeks a month of less than 40 hours. But the damage was done.

Why didn't this guy do something about his career when he saw it coming?  If I were in an industry that I could see that it was going down the tubes I would rethink what I was doing for a living and try to figure something out before the end came.  What is he doing now to retrain to start a different career?  I do realize that some people just think they will have their job forever but come on, think outside the box.  

My husband has taken classes that will help him keep up on new technologies, although he still feels he is behind and that makes him nervous as he doesn't really get to design anymore.  It makes him feel like he is getting "stale" in industrial design.  He has in the past taken side work to try to keep "fresh" but he has been way too busy to do that over the past few years.  When he lost his first job out of college (we had JUST bought a house a few months before he lost his job) he worked three part time jobs (not in his field, all grocery store stocker type jobs) until he got a new job.  He went over 200 miles outside of Phoenix to find a job (we lived in Phoenix and he got his new job in Lake Havasu City).  We had to sell our house and rent.  He just didn't sit around wondering when a new job would fall in his lap.  The company didn't pay for our move, we pack up and moved ourselves.  We couldn't even afford to buy boxes (we went around to grocery stores and asked for boxes).  I do realize in this economy that it will be hell to find a job but I think the DU attitude is they will not take anything they think is "beneath" them and would rather sit around until a job just lands in their lap.  it "aint" going to happen.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:43:07 PM by BEG »

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 12:52:29 PM »
He needs a place to read DU now that Lord and Master O has told them to turn off MSNBC

Offline Karin

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »
BEG:
I think the DU attitude is they will not take anything they think is "beneath" them and would rather sit around until a job just lands in their lap.  it "aint" going to happen.

You see this time and time and time again over there!  It drives me crazy, one sob story after another with the same theme....

1)  Any work around here is not in my field/prior salary range/dignity level.
2)  Clock keeps ticking, calender keeps turning.
3)  OMFG, I'm broke, wolves are at the door!
4)  Write senators, congressmen, and local paper
5)  Post at DU

And then they never see that their compatriot never has a happy ending.  It's woe and misery all around, don't you think it would occur to them to try a different path? 

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »
The amount of income the DUmmy had before is really immaterial. If he'd been making $200K, he would have signed up for three times the payment. Sports Illustrated had an article that reported 60 percent of N.B.A. players are broke within five years of retiring, and 78 percent of N.F.L. players are bankrupt or under financial stress within two years, and these guys were making a hell of a lot more than this DUmmy. A person as stupid as a DUmmy, or these players, will go bust eventually regardless of income or the state of the economy. It isn't economics, it's a deficit in IQ points.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 01:52:57 PM »
BEG:
You see this time and time and time again over there!  It drives me crazy, one sob story after another with the same theme....

1)  Any work around here is not in my field/prior salary range/dignity level.
2)  Clock keeps ticking, calender keeps turning.
3)  OMFG, I'm broke, wolves are at the door!
4)  Write senators, congressmen, and local paper
5)  Post at DU

And then they never see that their compatriot never has a happy ending.  It's woe and misery all around, don't you think it would occur to them to try a different path? 

Well, I guess, like Eddy, they're holding out for a management position.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 01:57:45 PM »
The amount of income the DUmmy had before is really immaterial. If he'd been making $200K, he would have signed up for three times the payment. Sports Illustrated had an article that reported 60 percent of N.B.A. players are broke within five years of retiring, and 78 percent of N.F.L. players are bankrupt or under financial stress within two years, and these guys were making a hell of a lot more than this DUmmy. A person as stupid as a DUmmy, or these players, will go bust eventually regardless of income or the state of the economy. It isn't economics, it's a deficit in IQ points.

I think all of the major sports are doing something like this, but I recently ran across an article about how Major League Baseball works with their young players:

Coaching Baseball Rookies for the Limelight
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 02:05:39 PM »
Another post in the thread. See if you can spot the discrepancies.

When my brother died they were already behind on their mortgage.  He died July 2008, they finally foreclosed on the house only a few months ago.  My brothers widow didn't work, she says he didn't have any life insurance and she has not made a payment since he died.  It took them almost a year and a half after he died (remember they were already behind when he died) to finally kick her out of the house. 

Man it makes me sad to think that the house my brother worked so hard for is gone.  He saved money while working in NYC to put a down payment on his house.  He put a LOT down on that house....now it is just all gone and so is he.  Hey DU'ers, that is what drugs will do to you.  You will eventually lose your job, your home and finally your life.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
I'll bet he got one of those adjustable rate mortgages with little going to principle. Lot of house with smaller monthly. The rates adjusted up, payment balloons and your house isn't worth what you paid too much for. Toss in the kiss of death second and you're screwed.

Advice to all...f### 2nd mortgages. Don't do it.

I would agree with you here, the timing is right for them to have had an adjustable, they refinanced when it adjusted and acquired a second at that time. He doesn't specify what the second was for, but at that time, many lenders were doing 80/20. The 80% was the primary mortgage and because it was 80 or less, no taxes or insurance were required to be escrow-ed. The 20% was the second and it allowed for the lack of escrow.

Depending on where the guy lives.....there was probably enough increase in home value to support the loans or they wouldn't have been done.

Yes, but I'm talking about a few years ago. Don't those low principle loans go up significantly when principle payments start.
You start out with low payments and no principle. Put very little to nothing down, so you have no equity. You hope the market keeps going up so you refinance to a conventional loan. Market goes down, principle payments kick in...you're screwed.

Of course it could be I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.  :-)

ARM's usually have a max amount of how much the interest can "balloon" to. Most are 8-10% above the existing rate on the mortgage.

It's enough to "gently persuade" a homeowner to refinance......which puts more up front money into the lender's coffers. The lender gets around it by saying, "we'll just tack those closing costs into the loan and it won't cost you anything at this time."

Cindie

Some lenders have been much more receptive to helping people who have been laid off, or lost their jobs, etc.  than others.

From what I have been able to determine....there's absolutely no logic to who gets helped and who doesn't.

Count yourself among the lucky ones.

I love how the actual foreclosure was completely skipped over. From late payment sent directly to new owner showing up out of the blue.

As I'm one of those people who show up at the door ..... you would be surprised how many people think they are being helped by the mortgage company...only to find out they have been foreclosed on.

In the last year....I personally did two evictions that both homeowners were working with the bank to avoid the foreclosure. Both had sent the bank several thousand dollars...thinking they were getting loan modification....only to find out that the bank kept their money and still foreclosed. I have done others in the last 3-4 years in the same situation. They have been VA, FHA and conventional loans. With VA and FHA being the worst.

One of the problems to this situation is that Loan Modification and REO (asset recovery) are two totally different departments....most often in different states.....often in different COUNTRIES - India being the primary country handling asset recovery.

The homeowner is working with the Loan Modification department trying to get all the paperwork submitted, reviewed, more paperwork submitted, etc.....not realizing that the Loan Modification department is NOT talking with the REO department who is proceeding with the eviction.

The homeowner send money to the Loan Modification department to get the process completed....again...not realizing...that the money being sent to LM does not get applied to the loan itself....therefore the REO department sees it still as a deadbeat loan.

All that stimulus money that went to the banks to help homeowners.....didn't. Only a small fraction of homeowners who have applied for LM have actually been helped. Again ....Obama and his merry band of idiots are lying when they stand at a press conference or town hall meeting and say the American homeowner is being helped.

Out of about 7 or 8 homeowners that I know, who have asked for loan modification, only 1 has received it. The husband had lost his job. They did the 3 payments on time, then the loan switched over to the modification. In their specific case, though their house value had dropped about 20% from what it was 2 years ago, they only had a 60% loan to new valuation. I'm sure that had a great influence with their lender to work with them.

This is happening all over the country....which combined with house values dropping in most places - some as much as 50-60%.....is causing homeowners to just walk away from their homes and not even try to keep their homes. I read an article yesterday was all about how homeowners are just leaving and going to a rental because it's cheaper than their house payment.
(http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/HomeFinancing/HomeownersWhoJustWalkAway.aspx    )

In many cases....the homeowner has to walk away prior to them being foreclosed, so that they are able to rent someplace before the foreclosure hits their credit report.

As long as foreclosures, or "walk-aways" continue to happen...particularly at the current rate....home values are going to decrease.

When I do the reports I do....I pull 6 comparables on each one. 3 current lists, and 3 solds from within no more than 180 days (some banks want as low as 60 days). If the comps are more than a half mile away from the subject property, I have to explain why.  

If out of those 6 comps....if any are foreclosures....they are usually at 30-50% value of what they would be as a traditional resale. 30-50%!!!! Now make at least 1 list and 1 sold out of those 6 a foreclosure. 6 comp houses....all have 1000 SF. 2 of the lists are $100k each and are traditional owner occupant resales....the 3rd is an REO property listed at $55k. 2 of the solds were listed at $100k---one sold for $95K, the other for $93K, the last an REO sells for $48k. All things being equal - lot size, condition, age, SF.....the bank is going to look at the valuation of the subject property, based on an average 90-120 day sale, around $82k.....with maybe pricing the subject house at $55-65k on a "30 day quick sale" if that high depending on how many comparable properties there are on the market within a .5 to 1mile radius of the subject property. These numbers are all based on the subject being in average or better condition. No damage to the property. If there is damage, that brings the subject pricing down....sometimes minimal like a missing light fixture or two.....sometimes major like walls/floors missing, windows broken out, HVAC/plumbing missing, frame house that hasn't seen a paint brush in 20 years.

Put several of these distressed properties - which is what they are, even when in perfect condition - into a subdivision or neighborhood and watch the surrounding house values go in a downward spiral.

While we may not want the government helping people out with their mortgages.....we need them to help in order to keep our own houses from devaluing....

So much of this country's economy is based on the housing industry....just as it is on the auto industry.

We....America....is in a vicious Catch-22 and I, for one, have no idea how we are going to get out of it.

It isn't very comforting to know that those idiots in Washington don't have any idea either....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2010, 06:55:22 PM »
Some lenders have been much more receptive to helping people who have been laid off, or lost their jobs, etc.  than others.

From what I have been able to determine....there's absolutely no logic to who gets helped and who doesn't.

Count yourself among the lucky ones.

Perhaps but I still think communicating with them is better than trying to hide from it. Ours had nothing to do with the government's program. They just redid the terms of the loan. Happened in a couple of days with minimal paperwork.

Cindie
Mick Foley

Hedy Lamarr

Morticia Addams

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2010, 07:27:39 PM »
Perhaps but I still think communicating with them is better than trying to hide from it. Ours had nothing to do with the government's program. They just redid the terms of the loan. Happened in a couple of days with minimal paperwork.

Cindie

It seems to have a lot to do with the mortgage company....some are just much more receptive than others.

Even for the couple who had all the equity...it still took about a month from start to finish.

You are right though....communication is the most important thing. The other most important thing....is for the homeowner to make sure that both the loan modification dept and the REO - or asset recovery department are both aware of what is going on.

It is up to the homeowner to make sure that each department knows what is going on..I can guarantee that they are not going to take it upon themselves to communicate with each other.

I would also just like to mention that I am never "perky" when I knock on someone's door to tell them they've lost their house.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »

It seems to have a lot to do with the mortgage company....some are just much more receptive than others.

Even for the couple who had all the equity...it still took about a month from start to finish.

You are right though....communication is the most important thing. The other most important thing....is for the homeowner to make sure that both the loan modification dept and the REO - or asset recovery department are both aware of what is going on.

It is up to the homeowner to make sure that each department knows what is going on..I can guarantee that they are not going to take it upon themselves to communicate with each other.

I would also just like to mention that I am never "perky" when I knock on someone's door to tell them they've lost their house.

Well, gosh, I can't imagine that you would be. That would be a difficult job.

Cindie
Mick Foley

Hedy Lamarr

Morticia Addams

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
Well, gosh, I can't imagine that you would be. That would be a difficult job.

Cindie

My comment wasn't directed at you, Cindie....it was at the bottom of one of the DU poster's comment.

It's always difficult....just sometimes...it's more difficult than others.

Like when the wife has had a severe car accident and can't go back to work, or there's been a divorce, or the tenant has no clue that all the money they've been paying every month on a lease purchase - was for nothing because the a-hole landlord/home owner pocketed the money and didn't make the house payments with the rent money.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »

My comment wasn't directed at you, Cindie....it was at the bottom of one of the DU poster's comment.

It's always difficult....just sometimes...it's more difficult than others.

Like when the wife has had a severe car accident and can't go back to work, or there's been a divorce, or the tenant has no clue that all the money they've been paying every month on a lease purchase - was for nothing because the a-hole landlord/home owner pocketed the money and didn't make the house payments with the rent money.

Since my little brother has been out of college, near on 15 years or so, he has worked in mortgage collections, and done quite well.  This is a man that is a very gentle soul.  (In a manly way, he ain't no pu$$y)  He just goes in and does what he does, and then goes home and is a father and a husband.  I always wondered how he could do what he did.  I imagine you see a lot of what he goes through.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:12 PM »
Since my little brother has been out of college, near on 15 years or so, he has worked in mortgage collections, and done quite well.  This is a man that is a very gentle soul.  (In a manly way, he ain't no pu$$y)  He just goes in and does what he does, and then goes home and is a father and a husband.  I always wondered how he could do what he did.  I imagine you see a lot of what he goes through.

I've been thinking about this thread a lot tonight.

I try really hard to not think too much about what I sometimes have to do ....only because if I dwell on it...I start feeling responsible that I must help these individuals.

While I often will try to help them find a place to live...that's not my job and though I recognize it certainly is not my fault that they are in this situation....I still feel rotten because I am the one that has to tell them.

It never gets easy to look someone in the face and tell them they have to get out of their home.