Author Topic: primitives discuss bypassing septic tanks  (Read 8474 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: primitives discuss bypassing septic tanks
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 03:12:17 PM »
Installing a good system shouldn't cost more than a couple grand. I've heard of people having to pump every couple of years, but I suspect they are flushing weird stuff down their toilets. Mine was installed five years ago when I bought the place, replacing a very old system that was collapsing. No problems at all, but I am careful what goes down the drain.

Wow, it must be really cheap where you live. Septic systems in MN ran anywhere from $7000-$15000 (mound systems) to get installed.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 03:14:19 PM »
Wow, it must be really cheap where you live. Septic systems in MN ran anywhere from $7000-$15000 (mound systems) to get installed.

Around here there's a backhoe in every third driveway, and people scramble for little jobs like that, so yeah, you can get stuff done pretty cheap.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 03:16:42 PM »
It's recommended that a septic system be pumped out every three years. Apparently, many people have had so much problems with NOT maintaining their septic systems that the last place I had a house, Ramsey, MN, made it a city code to require everybody on a septic system to have their septic systems pumped out every three years. They now send people "reminders".

The septic tank at our farm was installed in 1957......and it has "never" been pumped.........in fact, we've forgotten where the access cover is......still works fine.......box of Ridex every few months....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 03:22:38 PM »
Hhhmm. Thanks for the info. Septic systems are cheap out here too. Same deal as crockspot, lot of heavy machinery where I live.

Looked up RIDEX.

15.13‎ -0.06‎ (-0.39%‎)  NAV as of‎ Jan 29, 2010
YTD Return:    -2.20%
Net Assets:    722.07M
Front Load:    None

Yield (ttm):    6.15%
Expense Ratio:    0.66%
Morningstar Rating:    Rated 3.0 out of 5.0

Looks like I should have dumped it years ago. (heehee)

Offline Spirit of Ronald Reagan

• I like to play with matches
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »
Ridex is making a comeback of late.  People must be trying to dissolve all the BS coming out of DC.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 03:42:41 PM »
There's been a fair bit of interest in dry composting toilets here - especially in arid areas or places that are unsuited to septic but don't have sewage hookups. The government is particularly fond of installing them into national parks and other public recreation areas.

I've seen several setups in remote places - and they stink. Quite literally.

These are proper commercially made systems that are touted as being very "green" - I really don't know that I'd trust the "output" of these things for food crops either.

Only really one step better than a "drop" toilet - and that's the fact you don't have to dig a new hole and relocate the structure once every couple of years.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
That IS New York........where it takes three engineers, and five different categories of union workers to install a mailbox post........and yeah, I've lived there........

doc

Tell me about it and just one of the reasons I want out of here.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 04:13:10 PM »
Well......I mean sanitary plumbing is a concept that has been around since the Roman Empire.......why would someone want to recycle shit, when any fool can rent a backhoe, and build a decent septic tank.........its not rocket science......a couple of lengths of four-inch PVC, and a truck load of cinder blocks, with a bag of mortar mix........wtf?

doc

At least back when they used rags on a stick they would each have their own rags on a stick.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 04:23:12 PM »
It's recommended that a septic system be pumped out every three years. Apparently, many people have had so much problems with NOT maintaining their septic systems that the last place I had a house, Ramsey, MN, made it a city code to require everybody on a septic system to have their septic systems pumped out every three years. They now send people "reminders".

I've pumped mine every 10 years, but I put one in for about twice the size for the house....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 04:33:59 PM »
There's a mysterious mound back of this house way out in the Sandhills of Nebraska, that the now-owner of the property (the ancient elderly gentleman who used to cut the grass here), and the guy who currently cuts the grass (and moves the snow), insists covers the septic tank.

It's obviously a man-inspired, rather than a natural occurrence, phenomenon; its peak is circa a little less than two feet above the surrounding ground, and the "bump" covers an area about 20' x 20'.

Grass grows lushly above it, but it's kind of a deeper-green sort of grass; also the texture of the soil appears sandy, as compared with the usual pure black dirt here.

Near as the now-owner of this property can recall, it was installed in "'38 or '39," and to his knowledge never cleaned out.  He says it was made of concrete.

There exist no plumbing problems here, and being a single person enamoured of the spartan life, I don't generate a whole lot of waste.  And the place was vacant from the late 1980s (1988 I think) until I came here in the autumn of 2005.

A few years ago, I dubbed the mound "the Atman."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »
Well.......why would someone want to recycle shit.........wtf?

doc

Liberals have been recycling the same communist shit since Karl Marx wrote his book....

And they call themselves "progressives".  "Regressives" is more like it....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:57 PM »
I guess that they're clueless as to WHY the most recent outbreaks of e-coli happened. It was because of migrant workers taking dumps in the veggie fields. Untreated human waste is rife with bad bacteria. While plant will grow well in human excrement, they will also carry those evil bacteria. IF they found a way to treat it, then it would be OK. Then there's the ground water contamination issue. Powdered lime is a good way to sterilize any fecal matter. They really need to have some sort of background in animal husbandry or farming before they attempt to do absurd things like this.

I believe someone once coined the phrase "strawberries with Mexican brown sauce".  

Now where did I put the link to the pickle bucket sawdust toilet??

Ah yes right here.

Thoughts on septic tanks.

Rule 1.  Cheaper to pump than replace a leach field later.  
Rule 2.  Do not flush plugs or pampers.  
Rule 3.  IF possible separate gray water.
Rule 4.  Do not drive on your leach field.
Rule 5.  Know where your tank and leach field are before you need to.
Ridex?  See rule 1.  It may help but pumping is cheap insurance.

Anyone ever hear of gas toilets?  My aunt use to have one at her cottage at the lake.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »
The last house I had with a septic system I bought new, and we lived there 17 years without ever pumping the tank. Not sure I could have found it. For my money, septic and water well are the way to go. My wife and I were homeowners for 24 years before paying our first water or sewer bill, and never had a single problem of any kind.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »
We have a septic system with 2 holding tanks because our leach field is up at the top of the lot.

We had a lot of problems with it, and kept getting it pumped out and couldn't figure out how two people were causing such problems. (don't go there Thor! :hammer:)

We had Rotor Rooter here 2x's, and then another specialized septic system company who wanted to tear out all my flooring on the first floor because they thought there was a blockage in one of the pipes under the slab. We were looking at thousands of dollars in repairs.

Called in a third company for a second opinion....they KNEW what they were doing! They snaked a camera down the drain outside...there's a pump in there that had died. They replaced the pump...guy had to go down the manhole to do it....ewwww....and it's worked fine every since!

Most mortgage companies that are doing FHA or VA loans on houses with septic systems will require that the system be thoroughly checked and the tank emptied. They also require verification with the county that the septic field permit for number of bedrooms - not bathrooms matches the number in the house.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »
Anyone ever hear of gas toilets?  My aunt use to have one at her cottage at the lake.

Can't wait to read coach's opinion of that!

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2010, 08:18:53 PM »
Most mortgage companies that are doing FHA or VA loans on houses with septic systems will require that the system be thoroughly checked and the tank emptied. They also require verification with the county that the septic field permit for number of bedrooms - not bathrooms matches the number in the house.

Well, I guess the number of bedrooms means "people" using it, and thats going to determine usage a lot better than the number of toilets.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 09:01:55 PM »
There's a mysterious mound back of this house way out in the Sandhills of Nebraska, that the now-owner of the property (the ancient elderly gentleman who used to cut the grass here), and the guy who currently cuts the grass (and moves the snow), insists covers the septic tank.

It's obviously a man-inspired, rather than a natural occurrence, phenomenon; its peak is circa a little less than two feet above the surrounding ground, and the "bump" covers an area about 20' x 20'.

Grass grows lushly above it, but it's kind of a deeper-green sort of grass; also the texture of the soil appears sandy, as compared with the usual pure black dirt here.

Near as the now-owner of this property can recall, it was installed in "'38 or '39," and to his knowledge never cleaned out.  He says it was made of concrete.

There exist no plumbing problems here, and being a single person enamoured of the spartan life, I don't generate a whole lot of waste.  And the place was vacant from the late 1980s (1988 I think) until I came here in the autumn of 2005.

A few years ago, I dubbed the mound "the Atman."

That sounds like your leach field, and a healthy one. Your actual concrete septic tank is going to be immediately adjacent to it, on the "uphill" side.

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2010, 09:46:27 PM »
We have the same sort of hill in our yard that Frank refers to.  The grass sure does grow nice and green there. 

I know more about septic systems and leach fields than I have ever cared to know, really.  What I do know is that we've had to replace the pump twice - the first time it was $1200.00 and the second time it was $400.00 because my husband decided that **he** was going to replace the pump instead of paying someone $800.00 to do it. 

I will just say that when he was done fixing said pump, I would not let him back in the house for a week or so. 

:muahaha:

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2010, 11:53:11 PM »
One square doesn't create a problem.

Well I guess not, since you leave most of "it" on your fingers!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 12:01:57 AM »
I guess that they're clueless as to WHY the most recent outbreaks of e-coli happened. It was because of migrant workers taking dumps in the veggie fields. Untreated human waste is rife with bad bacteria. While plant will grow well in human excrement, they will also carry those evil bacteria. IF they found a way to treat it, then it would be OK. Then there's the ground water contamination issue. Powdered lime is a good way to sterilize any fecal matter. They really need to have some sort of background in animal husbandry or farming before they attempt to do absurd things like this.

What DUmbasses don't realize is almost all domesticated animal waste is vegetable matter. Why the hell do you think dogs and a number of other species will eat their feces? Horses for example only digest aboput 60% of the hay they eat. What's left is likely a higher protien content than most kerneled dog chow! You wonder why your dog will eat shit? There's your answer!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2010, 07:35:36 AM »
How expensive is it to maintain a septic system? The banks' setting up my system for free so I don't know. I know I have to pump it out every once in a while, but that's it.

Thank God none of my neighbors live in Yurts.

Less than one might think, provided you don't shove a whole bunch of food, grease, etc, into the tank.

A $20 bottle of Rid-X gives me six doses of tank treatment (once a month).  Around here, they charge about $250 or so to pump it down, a little more if they have to dig up the lids.  My biggest expense is salt for the softener and filters--and even that is less than $10/month.

I've lived in the house for 3 years, and no sign of having to pump it down.  Like I said, if you are good to it, it's good to you--I've seen folks who pump theirs down every 3-4 years, and people who haven't had to after living in their home for 10 years.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2010, 10:04:52 AM »
If society were to collapse, I can see the value in having basic information regarding a composting toilet, ways to keep the smell down, how long you have to have it sitting somewhere to get rid of any nasty contagions, etc., but until then I'll stick with my flushing toilet. 

In a real TEOTWAWKI situation, I would probably using the camping toilet method (dig a hole and bury it) until I got some sort of outhouse dug, then I would switch to that.  This method seems like it would be to much effort in a survival situation. 

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2010, 12:47:16 PM »
Less than one might think, provided you don't shove a whole bunch of food, grease, etc, into the tank.

A $20 bottle of Rid-X gives me six doses of tank treatment (once a month).  Around here, they charge about $250 or so to pump it down, a little more if they have to dig up the lids.  My biggest expense is salt for the softener and filters--and even that is less than $10/month.

I've lived in the house for 3 years, and no sign of having to pump it down.  Like I said, if you are good to it, it's good to you--I've seen folks who pump theirs down every 3-4 years, and people who haven't had to after living in their home for 10 years.

Our septic guys told us not to put Rid-X down the septic but to use live yeast instead.  We have had to had ours pumped out several times since we've lived here in nine years but that's also because the lid to the solids tank is on a lower level than the yard and when we get heavy rain, it leaks into the two different tanks.  My husband built a cement moat around each of the lids and then he seals the lids with silicone caulking and that has really helped a lot and we have not had to have it pumped out now in a couple of years.  He also built a small levee to keep the rain water from going near the septic tank lids.  We also have some switch that directs the gray water to different sides of the leach field.  Some of our neighbors have a system where the gray water tank goes to a sprinkler system and waters the grass. 

Like I said, I know far more about septic systems than I ever really thought I would. 

::)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
Can't use yeast here.  Never gets warm enough.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2010, 01:00:03 PM »
Speaking of septic tanks I put something in the BLOGS section about healthcare deform.