Author Topic: Mike Huckabee  (Read 2648 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Mike Huckabee
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:52:24 PM »
I just got done reading A Simple Christmas: Twelve Stories That Celebrate the True Holiday Spirit (Michael Huckabee, 2009, Sentinel).  It's a quick read, and a good one.

Huckabee had not been anywhere near my first choice for the Republican nomination in 2008 (Richard Cheney was, and barring him, Donald Rumsfeld or Duncan Hunter), but I thought this book was awesome.

If anybody goes away reading this book, and not liking Mike Huckabee, then that person's a rectal aperture who has a problem with nice guys.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Mike Huckabee
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 01:56:39 PM »
Haven't read the book yet, however, I have watched his TV show a couple of times, and agree that he is a nice guy......

However.......I don't want him anywhere near a presidential primary next time..........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:09:10 PM »
However.......I don't want him anywhere near a presidential primary next time.

What was your objection to Huckabee, sir?

My only objection was that he didn't seem to be a prominent enough personality to win the presidential election, and I wanted an (R) who would win; as far as I know (remember, I don't do television), I was eminently comfortable with his politics.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:21:21 PM »
What was your objection to Huckabee, sir?

My only objection was that he didn't seem to be a prominent enough personality to win the presidential election, and I wanted an (R) who would win; as far as I know (remember, I don't do television), I was eminently comfortable with his politics.

I'm pretty comfortable with his politics as well .........however, he IS a Baptist minister (ordained), and as a Baptist myself, that isn't a bad thing, but my thinking is.......and has been borne out by comments from many acquaintances that are conservative, but not particularly religious, that he is just a little too close the "Pat Robertson" thing to ever be elected president.......

Many people of our ideology feel that the "religious right" has played too large a part in shaping the positions of the Republican Party......not that they disagree with those positions, just that the "religious" aspect makes them nervous, and I think that a Huckabee candidacy would lose the vote of a significant number of otherwise conservative folks.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.