Author Topic: Spyker snaps up GM's Saab for $400 million  (Read 881 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Spyker snaps up GM's Saab for $400 million
« on: January 27, 2010, 12:48:58 AM »

STOCKHOLM/DETROIT (Reuters) - Tiny Dutch auto group Spyker clinched a last-minute deal on Tuesday to buy Sweden's Saab, in an audacious attempt to turn around a money-losing brand that only days ago was headed for oblivion.

Spyker, a company that was liquidated in the 1920s only to be reborn as a high-end sports car maker in 2000, said it would pay General Motors $74 million in cash and $326 million in deferred shares for Saab.

Despite years of haemorrhaging money, the 60-year-old Swedish company has many fans, some of whom believe it could be profitable with the right owner.

"It's a really brilliant brand. It's probably one of the biggest brand mismanagement stories in the history of the automotive industry," said Tim Urquhart, analyst at IHS Global Insight.

"Saab could have been the Swedish Audi if it had been taken on in the right way 20 years ago. It's been completely mismanaged, underinvested in

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60M14E20100126
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Spyker snaps up GM's Saab for $400 million
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:06:27 AM »
Woulda been great to see the peeps in Europe do the same thing with Saturn.  Before Penske came into the program, someone from Belgium I believe was gonna do the same with Opel and Saturn.  Oh well.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent