Author Topic: Machaca Tacos  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Machaca Tacos
« on: October 20, 2009, 03:01:29 PM »
I'm looking for a recipe that comes as close as possible to the tacos you find on one of those taco wagons that, at least here in No. Ca, you find on many street corners.
 They are usually served on doubled up corn tortillas with some lime wedges and what looks like pico de gallo. It can also be mixed with eggs (con huevos).
I tried a recipe last night, close, but no cigar. I may have to marinate the meat over night insted of a couple of hours.
Yes I've tried the "daves" that is all over the innwebs, but, I donno, it's just not the same.
 Anyone try to do this and succeed, or is this an impossible endevor?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wayne

Re: Machaca Tacos
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »
Look for machaca burrito recipes...   Thats what I use to get off the wagons in So Cal.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »
I dunno.  I have been thinking about the same thing.  I thought it would be a relatively easy and healthy thing to eat during the week, if I had the grilled meat on hand.  If you find a good recipe please post, and I will see if I can find something too.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »
What I do is make a pot roast with Lipton's onion soup and few other spices in the crock pot AFTER I've grilled it. Add in some chili powder and your other fav mexican style spices and let it cook until it shreds. I also let a lot of the water escape as steam and when it's done, it's pretty close to beef machaca. It does help to cut up the grilled chuck roast (what I normally use) into small pieces because it shreds a little more quickly and you get bite sized pieces instead of long strands of meat. It makes GREAT tacos, burritos, chimichangas, etc.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »
Thor, thx, I found a few recipies and tried one, turned out OK for a first try. I don't think I got it dry enough. Too "juicy", but good.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 08:29:55 PM »
It kind of depends when I intend to eat, but I'll look at the remaining liquid and usually remove the cover for a while before serving. I normally use a crock pot, so I leave it on low and let the liquid evaporate, filling the house with a good smell.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson