Author Topic: Hot water heater making funny noise....  (Read 12207 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: Hot water heater making funny noise....
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 09:56:14 PM »
I don't know about water heaters with recirc pumps, but it makes sense to me that the recirc pump is separate from the water heat, even though it might be attached. If you're getting hot water, although it may take a minute, I'd refuse any attempts at them replacing the water heater and contact the Home Warranty company about deceptive sales schemes by the service man. At this point, I'd like to think that you're safe, just inconvenienced.

Thanks Thor, that is what I plan on doing. I do still get hot water and it took a little longer to get hot water up in my bathroom sink when I washed my face a little while ago but not a huge difference. Since the recirculation pump gets hot water to the sinks and showers quicker (which in turn saves water), I don't understand how the hot water bypasses the pump when the water goes through the pump. I guess I don't need to understand as I am but a woman who isn't ashamed to say that I'm glad God made men to fix things like this.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »
Recirc hot water pumps?  Sheesh.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 06:57:02 AM »
If your recirc pump looks similar to this:

You should be just fine. Bear in mind it may not be identical.

It should be set up similar to this:

Fancy schmancy!

My bathtub and kitchen sink are both pretty close to right over the water heater, so they get hot water fast. The bath sink takes a little longer. Seems like a recirculation system like that might save you a little bit of water, at the expense of lost water heat when you aren't using it, and electricity.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 08:52:19 AM »
Recirc pumps makes sense when one lives in a controlled water zone where there is little water to waste. People let the faucet run until the hot water is available. When I was in MN, it took a good solid minute, may be more for it to get to temp. That's at least 2 gallons, maybe more, that's been wasted.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 10:28:53 AM »
Recirc pumps makes sense when one lives in a controlled water zone where there is little water to waste. People let the faucet run until the hot water is available. When I was in MN, it took a good solid minute, may be more for it to get to temp. That's at least 2 gallons, maybe more, that's been wasted.

That is why I am looking at a little water heater, the kind that go under the kitchen sink.  My hot water heater is ALL the way over on the other side of the house, by the bathrooms.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 10:35:08 AM »

In one house I lived in, we kept a two gallon bucket by the bathtub. We would fill the bucket while waiting for the water to heat up, and leave it there for the cats to drink from through the day. Then before then next bath, we would either use the previous bucket of water to flush the toilet, or to water one of the hydrangeas outside. Then refill for the next bath.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 10:39:10 AM »
In one house I lived in, we kept a two gallon bucket by the bathtub. We would fill the bucket while waiting for the water to heat up, and leave it there for the cats to drink from through the day. Then before then next bath, we would either use the previous bucket of water to flush the toilet, or to water one of the hydrangeas outside. Then refill for the next bath.

I do that in my kitchen, and use the water to feed the dog, or houseplants.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »
Ok so they came out.  When he plugged it in at first it didn't make noise.  I felt like a fool.  Then he told me to go turn on the hot water in a sink and then it started making the noise.  He looked closer and noticed that it was set to work all the time instead of around the time you usually get up and take a shower and in the evening so you can have hot water immediately when you are washing dishes.  Then he decided to take it off and look at it and it was filled to the brim with calcium deposits.  He said that was why it was making the noise.  We have a water softener and he said that it shouldn't have gotten that bad with the water softener but it might have been installed before they got the water softener because the water softener looked less than a couple of years old. 

He was WONDERFUL.  He kinda flirted with me too.   :-)  He didn't try to sell me anything.  It is now up and running just like it should.  He told me that my hot water heater is probably a bout 40 years old, I knew it had to be well over 25 years old if not older.   :o  We will probably have to buy a new one sometime soon. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 04:26:54 PM »
Ok so they came out.  When he plugged it in at first it didn't make noise.  I felt like a fool.  Then he told me to go turn on the hot water in a sink and then it started making the noise.  He looked closer and noticed that it was set to work all the time instead of around the time you usually get up and take a shower and in the evening so you can have hot water immediately when you are washing dishes.  Then he decided to take it off and look at it and it was filled to the brim with calcium deposits.  He said that was why it was making the noise.  We have a water softener and he said that it shouldn't have gotten that bad with the water softener but it might have been installed before they got the water softener because the water softener looked less than a couple of years old. 

He was WONDERFUL.  He kinda flirted with me too.   :-)  He didn't try to sell me anything.  It is now up and running just like it should.  He told me that my hot water heater is probably a bout 40 years old, I knew it had to be well over 25 years old if not older.   :o  We will probably have to buy a new one sometime soon. 

Wow, I've never known a water heater to last THAT long. Ten  years max.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 04:35:06 PM »
The previous homeowners must have drained it out every six months and/ or the water there has few minerals.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 04:40:15 PM »
He was WONDERFUL.  He kinda flirted with me too.   :-)  He didn't try to sell me anything.  

at least it wasn't a mailman like the Peanut Primitive

40 year old water heater?? good lord!!

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »

Holy Schnikies!  Glad you called the dood!

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »
Wow, I've never known a water heater to last THAT long. Ten  years max.

I know.  I should go out and take a picture and show you guys.  It is OLD.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »
The previous homeowners must have drained it out every six months and/ or the water there has few minerals.

The water here is VERY hard.  I don't know how it has lasted this long. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »

He had tattoo's all over his arms and was rather cute.  I can totally picture him in an old truck like this:

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »
He had tattoo's all over his arms and was rather cute.  I can totally picture him in an old truck like this:

::)

nice truck

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »
::)

nice truck

What's with the rolly eyes?  You jelly?   :-)

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 07:11:37 PM »
What's with the rolly eyes?  You jelly?   :-)

:whatever:

maybe.. heh

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2010, 01:51:40 AM »

I don't recall having a lot of problems with water hardness.  Guess it varies.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »
I don't recall having a lot of problems with water hardness.  Guess it varies.

The guy who came out said our area has VERY hard water.  You should have seen all the crap built up inside the circulation pump (and we have a water softener).  I thought we had hard water in Dallas, I have never seen water as hard as it is here.  But then again I have only lived in Omaha (but I was too young to notice the water hardness), Tulsa, Phoenix, Lake Havasu City, Dallas and then finally Orange County, CA.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:17:00 PM by BEG »

Offline longview

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
I'm really glad he was able to fix.  40 years!  Maintenance pays.