Author Topic: Hot water heater making funny noise....  (Read 12335 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Hot water heater making funny noise....
« on: January 12, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »
My husband has been in Vegas last week, came back sunday.  Left yesterday for China, wont get back until this coming sunday.  When I came in from the doctor about 45 minutes ago I noticed a sound.  Looked all over the place and couldn't find where it was coming from.  Then I decided to go outside and see if it was the hot water heater and sure enough, it's coming from the hot water heater.  It sounds like a timer only louder.  At least it is outside (it's in a "closet" with a door outside, the water softener right next to it) so if it is going to blow it wont ruin anything in the house.

Anyone know what it could be?  It sounds like a timer my mom had a long time ago (in the 70's). 

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Hot water heater making funny noise....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:19:08 PM »
Mine is electric so no idea what it could be unless somehow an element was shorting out.

If gas wonder if it is the igniter for the pilot light if they even use those still.

Probably wrong on either,only a guess.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »
Mine is electric so no idea what it could be unless somehow an element was shorting out.

If gas wonder if it is the igniter for the pilot light if they even use those still.

Probably wrong on either,only a guess.

It's gas but it isn't the same sound as it makes when you are pushing the igniter to light it.  I hate it when my husband is gone.  I admit I can't fix anything.  Except ONCE my sink got clogged with macaroni.  I tried plunging, etc.  Didn't work.  My husband was out of town yet AGAIN and I had to take care of it myself.  I took the trap off it, cleaned it out (GAG) and put it back on.  I was so proud of myself but that is the only thing I have ever fixed above lifting the back of the toilet and rehooking the chain on the floater deal. 

Oh I have backwashed the pool once when we lived in Dallas and I didn't like it.  At all.  I would starve if I had to do manual labor. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:57:47 PM »
Don't watch either of these videos.  :evillaugh:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWmONHipVo[/youtube]

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:58:42 PM »
It's gas, BEG.....call the utility company and ask them if it's some thing to be concerned with. Then call a repairman.

After the house up the road a piece....blew into a gazillion pieces in the middle of the night...I'm not taking any chances on anything that uses natural gas to operate. I'd rather spend the $100 to be told it's nothing.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 01:01:05 PM »
It's gas, BEG.....call the utility company and ask them if it's some thing to be concerned with. Then call a repairman.

After the house up the road a piece....blew into a gazillion pieces in the middle of the night...I'm not taking any chances on anything that uses natural gas to operate. I'd rather spend the $100 to be told it's nothing.

I did not want anyone to tell me that.  I don't like handling things like this.  I like to have my husband handle stuff like this.  I would so suck being a single woman. 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 01:10:13 PM »
I would call someone.  Really.  Have you noticed if you have hot water?  I believe that most, if not all gas waters heaters have safety valves to prevent explosions, but I would still get it checked out.  Deb is right.   
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 01:31:49 PM »
Ok Deb,  I called the gas company.  They can't get anyone out here until next TUESDAY....WTF?  I couldn't smell any gas and there isn't any water leaking so I guess it isn't an emergency.  I called our home warranty deal and they assigned someone to come out and take a look.  I am waiting for them to call to set up an appointment.  Now I'm afraid it is going to explode before anyone calls me back.   :(  The water is heating up, it's not leaking and I can't smell gas but it sounds like a ticking time bomb.  It never goes off, I can hear it in the study even though it is outside, two rooms and a hallway away.  When I was talking to the gas person she asked me what it sounded like, I explained then held the phone up so she could hear.  She said she could hear it.  Anyway, I will update after the person comes out to check it out. 

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 01:39:27 PM »
I am glad you have someone coming out.  You did the right thing.  I hope all works out well for you.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 01:41:14 PM »
It sounds like the spark igniter, one of those automatic igniters that's piezo-electric is not igniting the gas to the hot water heater or of it is igniting the gas, the flame sensor isn't working properly and turning off the igniter after the flame has been lit.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 01:43:33 PM »
It sounds like the spark igniter, one of those automatic igniters that's piezo-electric is not igniting the gas to the hot water heater or of it is igniting the gas, the flame sensor isn't working properly and turning off the igniter after the flame has been lit.

Is there any way I can check that with out blowing myself up?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »

It's pretty safe to check, but the problem is that one needs to know what the different pieces are. If it's a flame sensor, it's probably just dirty or corroded, depending on what type it is. That's usually the case. I don't think that this would be a job for you, no offense intended or implied. Then there's the parts acquisition thing, which can prove to be problematic because I don't think that these parts are available at Home Depot or Lowe's. (They could be, I just have never looked for them)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 03:28:28 PM »
Maybe there's a little gnome trapped inside the tank, and he is tapping on it with his little hammer.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 03:40:01 PM »
Maybe there's a little gnome trapped inside the tank, and he is tapping on it with his little hammer.

LOL now I am afraid to go to sleep tonight.

I called the plumber that I was waiting on to call me and spoke to the person who was scheduled to come out tomorrow.  To make a long embarrassing story short (as I don't know what a valve or anything is so it was quite comical) he told me to unplug the recirculating pump and the sound turned off.  I didn't know what a recirculating pump was, he told me what it was after I unplugged it.

We will just have to wait for hot water a little longer than usual when we take a shower until he comes out tomorrow.  I'm not going to let him sell me anything until my husband is home and let him make the decision.  I don't like messing with this stuff .   :p

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 05:06:29 PM »

If you listen to Thor, the repair man will think you know what your talking about enough not to try to take advantage of you. Happens to everyone. I think the laptop thread I posted shows that very well. heh.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »
LOL now I am afraid to go to sleep tonight.

I called the plumber that I was waiting on to call me and spoke to the person who was scheduled to come out tomorrow.  To make a long embarrassing story short (as I don't know what a valve or anything is so it was quite comical) he told me to unplug the recirculating pump and the sound turned off.  I didn't know what a recirculating pump was, he told me what it was after I unplugged it.

We will just have to wait for hot water a little longer than usual when we take a shower until he comes out tomorrow.  I'm not going to let him sell me anything until my husband is home and let him make the decision.  I don't like messing with this stuff .   :p

If it's the plumber that the Home Warranty company is sending out...you will only have to pay the deductible fee which should be somewhere between $50-100.

The home warranty will pay for anything else....that's why you have it.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 06:06:41 PM »
3,2,1... liftoff!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 06:10:40 PM »
3,2,1... liftoff!

Shush!

You'll scare the shit out of her!!!!

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »

If it's the plumber that the Home Warranty company is sending out...you will only have to pay the deductible fee which should be somewhere between $50-100.

The home warranty will pay for anything else....that's why you have it.

a service call is $60. I responded once and my phone froze.  :censored:

Anyway, I'm afraid he will try to sell me a tankless water heater because he mentioned that I might need a new water heater (specifically a tankless) even though when I unplugged the recirculation pump the ticking sound went away. The home warrant won't buy me a new water heater if it's the recirculation pump. I just don't want to deal with a high pressure sales attempt.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 07:18:23 PM »
a service call is $60. I responded once and my phone froze.  :censored:

Anyway, I'm afraid he will try to sell me a tankless water heater because he mentioned that I might need a new water heater (specifically a tankless) even though when I unplugged the recirculation pump the ticking sound went away. The home warrant won't buy me a new water heater if it's the recirculation pump. I just don't want to deal with a high pressure sales attempt.

Tankless ones are very expensive aren't they?? Yup, go in for an oil change and they tell you the whole motor needs to be changed.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
Could be the thermocouple too! Depending on how old the water heater is! Or the flame sensor...those things go out if they have the tiniest crack in the porcelain bottom.
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »
Deb's right.  Your home warranty sets the parameters as to what can be done, so you don't need to worry with a sales pitch.  They get their $$ from the Warranty place, not you.  That is how my buddies had to deal with a faulty AC unit for 3 years, because the Warranty wouldn't approve a replacement.  This year they got it.  The Warranty they kept paying for paid for it.  Not the peeps.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
I don't know about water heaters with recirc pumps, but it makes sense to me that the recirc pump is separate from the water heat, even though it might be attached. If you're getting hot water, although it may take a minute, I'd refuse any attempts at them replacing the water heater and contact the Home Warranty company about deceptive sales schemes by the service man. At this point, I'd like to think that you're safe, just inconvenienced.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 09:26:08 PM »
If your recirc pump looks similar to this:

You should be just fine. Bear in mind it may not be identical.

It should be set up similar to this: