Author Topic: TSHTF: Your backpack would contain?  (Read 22408 times)

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: TSHTF: Your backpack would contain?
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 11:02:35 AM »

Sounds like your already prepped. Might need more TP, though.  :naughty:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 11:33:57 AM »
Yes. Gotta let it sit for a bit after you thoroughly aerate it to make it even slightly palatable.

I can do without the water filter if I'm on foot. The rain forest creeks are perfectly drinkable in any area I'm likely to be operating in without more sophisticated systems.

All we need is a few months worth of dried food, arms and lots of ammo, a small Hibachi to burn whatever to hear up water or food.

Try and stay the heck at home.  Those that bug out are not going to make it, those that stay put with just a small amount of planning have the best chance.

With a Nuke station down the road I have read the insane instructions on evacuation in case of a big problem.   On one page people are told to wait on a street corner as buses will collect them and take them to a safe place. :rotf:    Who is going to be driving these buses.??  Not me folks, I will be at home sitting on my roof drinking a beer and watching the mayham take place on the highway'  Can anyone even imagine what our roads will be like.?

If I bug out I will die in the woods from something, no shelter, bad water, rabid animals, few of us have any idea how to live without a well controlled society that only excepts those that can benefit the comunity as a whole.

Worse comes to worse those that stock pile items from the dollar store to trade, cast iron cook where, those small Swiss Army knives that go for a buck apiece and could be worth a days worth of food to some one else ------Cosmetics is a biggie, men with something to trade to keep their woman's mouth shut may be willing to deliver 2 cords of cut wood for $20.00 worth of lipstick.

Only time one should leave an area would be for a fire storm, still after the incident one still goes back to find what they can of their life that did not burn.

Never really thought about this in the world of reality, lots of fun to think about how things can become.  Going back to an era our grandparents did not live in.

It was just today I came across an old calender that the NUKE plant sent out a couple years ago and when I got to the evacuation plans began to laugh.

Nuts, this idea of bugging out is a recipe for disaster.    If one is fortunate and their home is semi-intact, stay there.  If the whole thing is blown away then is the time to become a scavenger, looter and savage.

What fun to think of planting a garden----untill you have to work the ground and actually do it. What fun to think about having a milk cow until you have to milk the sucker twice a day, making butter etc. is more work then swabbing 6 floors of office space.

Washing clothing in big iron pots of boiling water with a wash board scrubber with Lye soap is unacceptable, better a rock in the river.

Stay in a safe place should the SHIF. take much time to decide where you can survive best. If after 60-90 days things remain the same or get worse, then is the time to decide where you wish to die, at home or in a strange place.  

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 11:40:06 AM »
Lose the flashlight and batteries. Buy lil' candles.
Ditch the stove unless it's a Dragonfly single burner.
Beans are heavy, try a dozen ramen noodle packages and/or mac and cheese.
Spam is heavy. Buy more dried meat and fruit.
Keep the fritos as they are pretty much the best fish bait on the planet. (really, what can't fritos do?)
Hard candy is awesome
Pack some corn meal, it's handy with fish. So is cooking oil.
Ditch the moist towels and buy a bar of soap and a washcloth.
Ditch the hatchet, keep the pig sticker.
Cameras are light, so are little notebooks and some pens.
Monoculars are lighter and cheaper than binoculars.
And where the Hell is your Bible?

Oh, and about 20 books of matches and at least two lighters. Even after the lighter run out of fluid, you can still use the flint inside for making more fire.

Forget the ramen noodles. They have ZERO nutritional value. They might give some carbs, but that's a grasp. At best, they MIGHT make a turd. There's plenty of food in the fields, woods and streams.

I did forget to mention, I'd also pack up a fishing pole or at least some line and hooks at a minimum. (One can always make their own poles, especially here in North Texas/ Southern OK.)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »
One thing that might be handy is one of those two wheeled things that folks sometimes use to move killed deer out of the fields. While they would restrict one away from rough terrain, that cart could come in handy for hauling extra goods.

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 11:46:32 AM »
One thing that might be handy is one of those two wheeled things that folks sometimes use to move killed deer out of the fields. While they would restrict one away from rough terrain, that cart could come in handy for hauling extra goods.

I wonder if you could hitch that to a backpack and let it "follow" you.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »
I wonder if you could hitch that to a backpack and let it "follow" you.

I don't see why not. In my case, something like that would make life a LOT better as I don't walk very well. I'm sure that some sort of harness could be simply fashioned so it would "tow" easily.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 11:50:49 AM »
I don't see why not. In my case, something like that would make life a LOT better as I don't walk very well. I'm sure that some sort of harness could be simply fashioned so it would "tow" easily.

Tents are so last century.... these also come in blue.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 11:53:12 AM »
Tents are so last century.... these also come in blue.

Just what I want, something to make me stick out like a sore thumb!! ::)

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »
Just what I want, something to make me stick out like a sore thumb!! ::)

Thats because if you want a rescue plane to see it... anyways, I am sure you could always spraypaint it camo

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »
I guess I'm the only one who would find extra socks, whiskey, and tampax indispensable. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ladywinter

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 12:07:21 PM »
I guess I'm the only one who would find extra socks, whiskey, and tampax indispensable.

:lmao: Oops, I forgot about packing one of your mentioned items - yes, indispensable for sure!
Exit Strategy...

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 12:20:36 PM »
If I go ONLY by things in the house (no fair cheating, after all):

--.45 with extra clips and 100 rounds ammo
--12-gauge with all the 00-buck I can reasonably carry (50 rounds) and maybe 1 box of #4 shot
--Hunting knife--has a couple of hooks, fishing line, and waterproof matches in handle.
--Magnesium bar, 9-volt, and steel wool for fire starting.
--Wrist-GPS.  They can last up to 24 hours continuous use on a single charge.
--10-12 MRE's.
--WATER and a wide-mouth METAL container.
--Water filter.
--Shelter half and thickest sleeping bag.
--Snowshoes.
--Small first-aid kit and 2-3 weeks worth of any necessary meds.
--Extra waterproof matches.
--Extra socks.
--ONE change of clothes.
--Extra water-resistant gloves.
--Battery-powered radio, and cell phone, just in case it starts working again.
--E-tool.  Nothing like needing to shovel out something and having to use your friggin hands.

Pack it all up, and GTFO of Dodge.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 12:23:34 PM »

I said socks and rum.   :-)  And thank you for the reminder.  Things coulda taken a bad turn. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 12:24:31 PM »
An e-tool can also be used as an axe or a weapon. A handy thing to have.

You have a .45 that uses "clips" ??? [/anal gun owner]

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
Oh, Jesushtapdancinchrist.

MAGAZINES.  Pardon the hell outta me!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Mushroom

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 06:35:26 PM »

Actually, my survival kit contains about 2 dozen maxipads.  Not only are they useable for any females in my party, they make excellent emergency field dressings.  I always try to get as many "dual use" items as I can.

I have quite a large Survival Kit, that I have built up and maintained for over 20 years.  And it has come in handy in several real-life situations, like the Northridge Earthquake, and hurricanes Ivan and Katrina.

First, it is all contained in 2 framed ALICE military packs, a civilian daypack, and an ACU CamelBak BFM (http://www.camelbak.com/en/government-military/hydration-packs/bfm.aspx).  One of the ALICE packs is a large for my use, and the other is a medium for my wife.  Listed are just some of the items I can remember:

3 day supply MREs per person
Tent
Military Poncho (2)
Poncho Liner (2)
1 gallon canteens per person (2 1 quart, 1 2 quart)
Wife has a 2 litre CamelBak, I have a 3 litre, a 2 litre, and 2 1 litre CamelBak bottles
Water Purification Tablets
Military CLS bag (2)
Sleeping Bags (2)
Hand axe-hammer-pry bar
Mini MagLight (2)
Matches, lighters, and Zippo (at least one of each per pack)
Leatherman
Battery powered lantern with AM-FM radio
Hand held FM 2-way radios
Solar battery charger
Spare NICAD batteries
Military E-tool (shovel)
Compass
Maps (National, regional, state)
Hand Held GPS
Heat tabs and stove
Military mess kit (and silverware for 2 people)
Pocket Fisherman
Motrin, Aspirin, Kaopectate, Malox, and Bactine
$100 in cash
Pad of water-proof paper and pens

The day pack has a change of clothes and boots, and sweaters and light jacket.

The larger pack also has military wet weather gear, and a few more odds and ends I can't remember.  They are all kept at all times in the trunk of our vehicles.  After all, these will do no good if we are stuck without them 50 miles from home.  And when we take road trips, they go with us along with an even more complete kit in a large footlocker (which has things like a tool kit, tire chains, jumper cables, jump box-air compressor, tire repair kit, cases of MREs, tow strap, flares, tarp, coveralls, and 2 bodybags).  I also have a CB radio in a metal case that I move to the vehicle we are in if we take a long trip (http://www.roadtrucker.com/slip-seat-road-case/k40-large-cb-stereo-metal-roadcase-speakers-roadcase.htm).

Each vehicle also has at least 1 case of water that is rotated monthly.  My survival piece is a .380 pistol with 100 rounds and spare clips that is kept in a FannyPack holster.  Of course my survival clothes are an old set of ACUs.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:39:33 PM by Mushroom »

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2010, 07:06:14 PM »
and the kids wake up at 5AM to exercise and run 5 miles before breakfast

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2010, 07:06:54 PM »
Kind of concerned about Aaron Burr.

He hasn't posted since Feb 1

Offline Mushroom

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2010, 07:39:19 PM »
and the kids wake up at 5AM to exercise and run 5 miles before breakfast

No, that's just me.   :whatever:

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2010, 09:55:11 PM »

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2010, 10:05:31 PM »
Kind of concerned about Aaron Burr.

He hasn't posted since Feb 1

I was wondering about him too.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2010, 10:06:53 PM »
Actually, my survival kit contains about 2 dozen maxipads.  Not only are they useable for any females in my party, they make excellent emergency field dressings.  I always try to get as many "dual use" items as I can.

I have quite a large Survival Kit, that I have built up and maintained for over 20 years.  And it has come in handy in several real-life situations, like the Northridge Earthquake, and hurricanes Ivan and Katrina.

First, it is all contained in 2 framed ALICE military packs, a civilian daypack, and an ACU CamelBak BFM (http://www.camelbak.com/en/government-military/hydration-packs/bfm.aspx).  One of the ALICE packs is a large for my use, and the other is a medium for my wife.  Listed are just some of the items I can remember:

3 day supply MREs per person
Tent
Military Poncho (2)
Poncho Liner (2)
1 gallon canteens per person (2 1 quart, 1 2 quart)
Wife has a 2 litre CamelBak, I have a 3 litre, a 2 litre, and 2 1 litre CamelBak bottles
Water Purification Tablets
Military CLS bag (2)
Sleeping Bags (2)
Hand axe-hammer-pry bar
Mini MagLight (2)
Matches, lighters, and Zippo (at least one of each per pack)
Leatherman
Battery powered lantern with AM-FM radio
Hand held FM 2-way radios
Solar battery charger
Spare NICAD batteries
Military E-tool (shovel)
Compass
Maps (National, regional, state)
Hand Held GPS
Heat tabs and stove
Military mess kit (and silverware for 2 people)
Pocket Fisherman
Motrin, Aspirin, Kaopectate, Malox, and Bactine
$100 in cash
Pad of water-proof paper and pens

The day pack has a change of clothes and boots, and sweaters and light jacket.

The larger pack also has military wet weather gear, and a few more odds and ends I can't remember.  They are all kept at all times in the trunk of our vehicles.  After all, these will do no good if we are stuck without them 50 miles from home.  And when we take road trips, they go with us along with an even more complete kit in a large footlocker (which has things like a tool kit, tire chains, jumper cables, jump box-air compressor, tire repair kit, cases of MREs, tow strap, flares, tarp, coveralls, and 2 bodybags).  I also have a CB radio in a metal case that I move to the vehicle we are in if we take a long trip (http://www.roadtrucker.com/slip-seat-road-case/k40-large-cb-stereo-metal-roadcase-speakers-roadcase.htm).

Each vehicle also has at least 1 case of water that is rotated monthly.  My survival piece is a .380 pistol with 100 rounds and spare clips that is kept in a FannyPack holster.  Of course my survival clothes are an old set of ACUs.

Well, as long as you are prepared...

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2010, 04:17:18 PM »

May I suggest you add some rope and strong twine to the collection.

I also would add a bag of wide and long cable ties.

Both are cheap and easy to obtain - and a right pain in the ass not to have when you discover a use for them.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2010, 03:43:27 PM »
I suppose it's cheating, but I keep such a backpack loaded up.  It's about 35 pounds of stuff, including:
First aid kit, with hygeine supplies like backpacker TP, also pills to clean you out, stop you up, treat pain, and fight inflammation
2 canteens and a canteen cup
cooking supplies - metal pot, pan, and plate, plus a 16-oz bottle of shortening
Food - enough to go 72 hours of dried/foil-pouch stuff I replace yearly, but also salt and pepper
Poncho and liner, also a space blanket (the larger type, not the mylar-film pocket-sized one)
Tools - a can opener (No cans, but you never know what you might find or be able to take in the event), saw, backup folding knife, fork and spoon, machete, multi-tool, 550 cord, snare wire, a couple of dozen assorted nails, a lightweight backpacking e-tool, etc.
100 rounds of CCI high velocity hollowpoint .22s and a minimal flexrod cleaning kit
Water purification and fire/firestarting stuff including a couple of packets of solid fuel tabs and a couple of candles
Some basic fishing supplies including a gig head, also a  net hammock that can double as a plain old net
Watchcap and leather work gloves, one extra set of socks and briefs
Some signalling stuff in case I want to be found - a couple of cyalumes, signal mirror, whistle, flares, pair of small hunting binos, small LED flashlight, you know.
Compass on the outside and a backup stowed, also a pin-on thermometer.
A very lightweight .22 that breaks down and is stowed in a soft case that gets strapped on last.  

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 03:45:37 PM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2010, 06:00:45 PM »
First Aid Kit- Basic store bought kit (bandages, gauze, tape, things like that). Add a couple bottles of Immodium and Ranger Candy Light (400 mg Motrin, since I can’t get the real stuff) plus TP, unrolled and folded into a plastic bag. Bottle of liquid soap and deodorant. 

Weapons- Rifle (trying to decide between a CETME or AK variant of some kind) with 6-8 loaded mags and 200 extra rounds. Kimber .45 with 3 loaded mags and 100 extra rounds. Pocket knife and hunting knife. Cleaning kit.

Tool kit- Multi-tool, compass, waterproof matches, magnesium bar with flint and steel, water filter, Esbit stove with several boxes of tabs, dynamo flashlight, candles, e tool, couple hundred feet of 550 cord, duct tape. Fishing line and hooks. Wire saw.

Food- 3 days worth of freeze dried plus a couple handfuls of energy bars. Canteen and cup plus Camelback. Brit style flat mess kit with utensils.

Clothes- 3 days change of underwear and wool socks. 1 extra pair BDU pants and coat. 1 extra pair boots. Poncho, longjohns, knit cap, gloves, wool blanket, winter coat and tarp. Needle and thread, both cotton and nylon so I can sew up minor wounds.

Other- Couple of books, whistle and mirror (glad I kept them from the Coast Guard), pipe and as much tobacco as I can shove in. Bottle of rum for morale and painkiller.

Plus I'd be wearing a pair of BDUs, sturdy boots and socks, sunglasses, boonie cap (I burn like a mofo), and watch. Figure I can trade that when it dies.

Basically, the plan is to get as far from civilization as possible and find a good place to hunker down and set up a base camp to store everything. Then, if I have to forage, just take what I need and stash the rest.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me