Author Topic: TSHTF: Your backpack would contain?  (Read 22536 times)

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
TSHTF: Your backpack would contain?
« on: January 07, 2010, 05:32:09 PM »
Oh crap. Things have really hit the fan. You have no place in the country, you do have a backpack and shoulder gym bag. Your going to have to walk out of the city and try to get to a friends survival "camp". What is in/on your backpack/gym bag?

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: TSHTF: Your backpack would contain?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:33:56 PM »
I'm assuming a couple days to a week in transit through country I know well with minimal resistance and "regular" weather.

Backpack

First Aid Supplies
British style Square Mess Kit , fork and spoon combo.
Hexamine Fuel and stove
Matches (waterproofed container)
TP
2X Light plastic sheet (they're sold as disposable drop sheets for painting for like $5 each)
Diamond Steel
Light cord (I believe this is called hutchy cord in RAR circles)
Fishing tackle box - (hooks , sinkers , 100lb leader line , spare 80lb braid)
DEET based insect repellent
Chlorine based Water purification tablets
Inline "straw" type water filter.
Super saturated salt water in dripper bottle (leech remover and food seasoning)
Gatorade powder
Soluble multivitamin (similar to Emergen C)
Barley sugar
Aluminum water bottle with cup.

Tools

Stabbing Knife (The model is called "Pig sticker")
Bowie style Knife 
Thumbstud Folding knife (Some cheap ass thing I picked up for about $20)
Regular folding knife (PUMA brand)
Gerber Multitool
folding Shovel
Hatchet
Wire saw
Rifle and all available ammo.
Two piece Fishing rod and reel (Shimano T-Curve rod - Diawa Saltist reel)
Torch and headlamp (Both made by Fenix)

Whatever food I had about that was easily portable at the time.

I'd probably grab the Handheld UHF radio and GPS if I thought they'd be of any use.

Oh - Tobacco. Several packets and a pipe.  Liter of 190 proof spirit if there was room remaining.

Most of this stuff isn't collected together - but is distributed about in storage so it'd take an hour or so to get it packed.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »
Oh crap. Things have really hit the fan. You have no place in the country, you do have a backpack and shoulder gym bag. Your going to have to walk out of the city and try to get to a friends survival "camp". What is in/on your backpack/gym bag?
It's gonna hit -2 or something here tonight...I'm carrying a water bottle with a wide lid, so I can refill with snow and let my body heat melt it, some extremely high calorie food, and the rest of both packs would be socks and blankets.  I'd be wearing most of the clothing I owned...layers of PJ pants, then jeans, then sweats...layers of undershirts, t-shirts, sweatshirts...over all my coveralls...over that, my biggest coat.  I'd also be wearing a face mask knit hat, a scarf, and over that the hoods of a couple sweatshirts.  I'd wear my driving gloves under my insulated ski gloves.  But I'd have to buy super-insulated boots before I could head anywhere...  

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 07:11:23 PM »
Some of that sounds expensive. I bet a lot of people would have to make do with a lot less. I'd probably concentrate on food first, then making sure I had changes of clothes and socks and things. Then some sort of sleeping bag, tarp/poncho. A towel. I found a travel pack at Wal-Mart with small mouthwash, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, deoderant, disposable razor and small can of shaving cream. Its very compact. A small first aid kit would probably be about the same size. I do have a wind-up radio but the "TV channel audio" doesn't seem to work since they all went digital but I'd take it along. I need to get some type of camp stove and small pot/pan kit to go along with it. Gatorade powder is a great idea. I need to get me one of those water filtering bottles.

I think I'd take extra beans, beef jerky and crackers. Maybe some canned SPAM if there is any at hand.

If I could get a gun, I know where a 40 cal handgun is, heh.

extra pair of shoes? My laptop, of course. heh. Might make a good shield.

A ziplock with matches, napkins, wetnaps, utensils, salt, pepper, other packets. Water "cleaning" tablets. things like that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:21:46 PM by FGL »

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:04:41 PM »
Some of that sounds expensive. I bet a lot of people would have to make do with a lot less. I'd probably concentrate on food first, then making sure I had changes of clothes and socks and things. Then some sort of sleeping bag, tarp/poncho. A towel. I found a travel pack at Wal-Mart with small mouthwash, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, deoderant, disposable razor and small can of shaving cream. Its very compact. A small first aid kit would probably be about the same size. I do have a wind-up radio but the "TV channel audio" doesn't seem to work since they all went digital but I'd take it along. I need to get some type of camp stove and small pot/pan kit to go along with it. Gatorade powder is a great idea. I need to get me one of those water filtering bottles.

I think I'd take extra beans, beef jerky and crackers. Maybe some canned SPAM if there is any at hand.

If I could get a gun, I know where a 40 cal handgun is, heh.

extra pair of shoes? My laptop, of course. heh. Might make a good shield.

A ziplock with matches, napkins, wetnaps, utensils, salt, pepper, other packets. Water "cleaning" tablets. things like that.

I've been collecting outdoor gear and equipment for about 15 years - being an avid outdoors type person. I'm just now getting to all the high end , large and or expensive bits now.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »
I've been collecting outdoor gear and equipment for about 15 years - being an avid outdoors type person. I'm just now getting to all the high end , large and or expensive bits now.

I am going  as cheap as possible.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »
I love the Brigade Quartermaster website, btw

http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/index.tam

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 08:24:18 PM »
Were I somehow caught without my Filipino man servant, my pimped out Chevy, or even my house and family, I'd pack as follows.

1 Tub of KFC
1 leatherman
1 handgun
1 bag fritos
1 water purifying bottle
assorted prescription pain killers
some para cord
1 guitar string (D)
2 lighters

I'd just walk home trailing chicken bones in a pharmaceutical haze. If I needed additional food, I'd trap something using the cord and guitar string. It would take me a couple of days walking to get home from the farthest point I go to on a daily basis. Any unused dope would be used for trading purposes and the uneaten fritos can be used to help start a fire.

Offline Ladywinter

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 08:24:41 PM »
With all the "stuff" y'all will be packing, you'd better be "packing"...cause someone would most likely try and take it.  

I'd bring:  water, food, matches, radio, gun, and the clothes on my back - (oh, and a great pair of hiking boots).

Btw, all this week on the History channel, this is the very subject. Watching has been interesting and very informative.  Let's hope it never comes to this...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:56:44 AM by Ladywinter »
Exit Strategy...

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 08:57:36 PM »
Mine would contain an ample supply of power bars, a dagger type knife, a utility knife, ammo for my .45ACP and my L1A1, sleeping bag, tarp, first aid kit WITH a surgical pack, nylon line, ronsonol and flints, a fire striker, and some steel wool. My .45ACP would be in it's holster. I would also have a canteen on my utility belt, with a load bearing harness. I'd also pack on my utility belt some spare magazines for my L1A1 & my USP Tactical. Somewhere in the mess would be a gun cleaning kit. I'd take some pharmaceuticals with me, too. Something to cook in would be nice and maybe a grate to cook on. Coffee would be imperative, along with a percolator.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »
the uneaten fritos can be used to help start a fire.

I remember Les Stroud doing that. A bag of Fritos could be very useful, although I am addicted to them. That could be bad.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 09:35:50 PM »
Off the top of my head....

my rifle, ammo, and gun cleaning kit.  (hopefully by the time the SHTF, I will have more than one weapon)  And the rifle doesn't go in the pack.
Wind up flashlight
socks
bar soap
toothbrush
baking soda
water purification tablets
plastic cup or two
my french press~ if I can boil water, I have coffee
one stainless pot to cook with, a saucepan, so it is light
any lighters/matches that I have, and my zippo with flints and fluid
clothes for any condition:  Not a party, but a selection for weather conditions.
My work boots. 
My runner up work boots
beans
coffee
leatherman
towels?
canteen and camping dinner set~ plate, bowl, cutlery, and mug
any and all pharmaceuticals and vitamins in my medicine cabinet
dental floss
cotton balls
any candles I have in my house.
batteries, even if I don't have anything that needs em, good for barter.
and as many army blankets that I can stuff in my bag.
Oh yeah, and my rum.

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »

Someone else is watching Armageddon Week on the History chanel too. Like maybe After Armageddon on Tuesday?  :-)

I'd take water. Lots of it. High carb foods like bread, peanut butter, etc. MREs. A 9 volt battery with steel wool. A lighter. K-Bar. A gun with plenty of ammo. Underwear. Socks. Compass. Protein bars.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:48:51 PM »
Off the top of my head....

Well thats a load off your head. Not too heavy it seems to me, compared to others. heh.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 09:51:46 PM »
Well thats a load off your head. Not too heavy it seems to me, compared to others. heh.

Hardee har har.   :whatever:

I was trying to answer, given what I know what I have right now.  Kinda like a timed essay. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 10:24:57 PM »
Here is my "minimalist" list.

Backpack:
Flashlight
Extra batteries
Camp stove
Fire fuel cubes
Pan/pot/cup/bowl/utensils
Dry beans
Beef Jerky
Can of SPAM
Crackers
Frito’s
Powdered Gatorade/lemonade
Oatmeal packs
Hard candy
Energy bars/granola bars
Tea bags/other
Salt/pepper/sugar etc
Moist towel packages
Emergency thermal blanket package
Rope saw
Folding hatchet
Fishing line/lures/hooks
Bowie knife
First aid kit
Vitamin tablets
Chap Stick
Hand lotion
Portable crank-power radio
Compass/map
Canteen (2)
Water purifier
Water purification tablets
Extra socks, gloves, underwear, t-shirt, change of clothes
Roll of quarters
Aluminum foil
Nylon cord
Rolled tarp/plastic sheet
Rolled foam mat
Sleeping bag
Magnifying glass
Binoculars
Disposable Digital camera?

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 11:39:51 PM »
Lose the flashlight and batteries. Buy lil' candles.
Ditch the stove unless it's a Dragonfly single burner.
Beans are heavy, try a dozen ramen noodle packages and/or mac and cheese.
Spam is heavy. Buy more dried meat and fruit.
Keep the fritos as they are pretty much the best fish bait on the planet. (really, what can't fritos do?)
Hard candy is awesome
Pack some corn meal, it's handy with fish. So is cooking oil.
Ditch the moist towels and buy a bar of soap and a washcloth.
Ditch the hatchet, keep the pig sticker.
Cameras are light, so are little notebooks and some pens.
Monoculars are lighter and cheaper than binoculars.
And where the Hell is your Bible?

Oh, and about 20 books of matches and at least two lighters. Even after the lighter runs out of fluid, you can still use the flint inside for making more fire.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:38:25 PM by Aaron Burr »

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 11:46:20 PM »

Beans are heavy, try a dozen ramen noodle packages and/or mac and cheese.
Spam is heavy. Buy more dried meat and fruit.
Keep the fritos as they are pretty much the best fish bait on the planet. (really, what can't fritos do?)
Hard candy is awesome

Monocular are lighter and cheaper than binoculars.
Where the Hell is your Bible?

Good suggestions and yes, I should add a Bible to the list.  :thatsright:

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 12:22:40 AM »

Oh, and about 20 books of matches and at least two lighters. Even after the lighter run out of fluid, you can still use the flint inside for making more fire.

The refills you get for Zippoâ„¢ brand lighters are tiny and contain several flints in a convenient little plastic case.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 01:40:03 AM »
This is actually the easiest scenario for me because I've done this. A lot. When I was younger and of less dubious character, my friends and I would try to outdo each other and see who could stay out the longest with the least amount of stuff. And no, I never even came close to winning.

But fritos emerged as the clear winner when it came down to weight vs energy, durability, multi use capability and flammability. Don't buy expensive "camping food" when you can find most dried and prepacked dinners right down the grocery isle. They're invariably lighter and cheaper. Buy a Swiss Army knife. Make sure it has tweezers, toothpick, scissors, and magnifying glass. Two metal cups. One for drinking, one for cooking cornbread or soup in. Plates are invaluable for fish, but the cup is the camp king. Make sure one of yours is a wide, shallow "sierra cup".

B.C. powder over Advil, but whatever is handy. No...B.C. powder for the win. You really will need some. Boiling water will eliminate the need for filters and pumps. Straining the boiled water though a handkerchief full of charcoal will sweeten the water right back up. So have a big plastic lightweight mug too. The ones with screw top lids get dirty and will make you sick after a while if you're not careful.

Peanut butter kicks ass. It's heavy, but it disappears pretty quick. A loaf of sammich bread does too. A paperback book about woodcraft is handy. ( It makes it a lot easier to find wild onions and roots.)Those lil' black thin soled Chinese slippers work great around camp and cost about a buck a pair. Guitar strings are lightweight and handy. Small crimp clamps are cheap and light and easy to use the leatherman with. You can make a bow out of green wood that will last about a day. Long enough to shoot any rabbits that come sniffing around the frito bait.

But if you can fish and have corn meal and some oil, you can last a surprisingly long time.

Blisters are inevitable, buy blister patches.

Coleman and others make cheap sturdy light up watches if you really need to poke around at night. My nephew has a ball cap with tiny lights built in the brim. I think it was six bucks. But cold will kill batteries.

Foot powder, or baby powder or gold bond, just get some.

Make a chess set.

Everything gets hung up in a tree at night.

Sugar packets, salt, pepper, jams, hot sauces and crackers from restaurants is also the way to go.

Don't forget the toothbrush or extra boot laces. Or hat. You being a Texan most likely already have a nice broad brimmed one. I'm stuck with a Top hat for a while myself, but hope to someday graduate up to one of those Sherlock Holmes dealies...maybe a big fur Shako like those guys in London wear.

Throw some of those office clamps and paper clips in the backpack and some Silly Putty too. (No more spilled mugs balancing on rocks. Stick it on the putty.)

And so on. It's a near endless list of tips and tricks. Just go out and practice making camp somewhere so when you finally bug out, it's routine.

Ah, and zippos are expensive, can leak and have fiddly bits. Advanced survivalists only.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:48:46 AM by Aaron Burr »

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 02:10:25 AM »
Boiling water will eliminate the need for filters and pumps. Straining the boiled water though a handkerchief full of charcoal will sweeten the water right back up. So have a big plastic lightweight mug too. The ones with screw top lids get dirty and will make you sick after a while if you're not careful.

Actually you should use caution doing that. Boiling will kill most bacteriological hazards - and remove immiscible chemicals with a BP lower than water.

It won't actually remove any contamination - especially things like turbidity, radiological hazards , many common chemicals and so on.

Ideally the best method is distillation then post chlorinated to ensure nothing will grow in there. Even then you should really use semi-fractional distillation methods like a refluxing still run vented until it's at boiling point.

As for filtration - Sand filters and low porosity carbon filters are readily constructable in the field with som,e very basic materials.

After filtration to remove turbidity and whatever else it can take out - boil it. Still not as good as distillation but can actually be easily acomplished in the field.

You can also restore some of the "fresh" taste after boiling by pouring the water between two containers for a time (aerates it ).

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 04:54:04 AM »
I notice allot of you don't have a water filter? I suggest you get one. I have had quite a few and now settled down on the MSR waterworks. They are reliable and easy to clean and maintain. I have 2 a mini and full size and a rebuild kit. They are without a doubt the most important item in any survival pack. Did you ever try to drink water with those clorine tabs in it? :puke:
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 05:20:10 AM »
I notice allot of you don't have a water filter? I suggest you get one. I have had quite a few and now settled down on the MSR waterworks. They are reliable and easy to clean and maintain. I have 2 a mini and full size and a rebuild kit. They are without a doubt the most important item in any survival pack. Did you ever try to drink water with those clorine tabs in it? :puke:

Yes. Gotta let it sit for a bit after you thoroughly aerate it to make it even slightly palatable.

I can do without the water filter if I'm on foot. The rain forest creeks are perfectly drinkable in any area I'm likely to be operating in without more sophisticated systems.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 10:02:40 AM »
My bug-out backpack is also my hunting backpack - I bow hunt, when I can - and thus is always loaded with bug-out goodness.  A water filter and a couple of 1 gallon water bladders, MREs, one change of clothing, a bivvy-shelter, and a first-aid kit leaning deeper into treating field traumas, and away from treating "boo-boos".  I have a pouch full of tools on that pack for repairing my bow with, including a full replacement string and a small bow press.

In addition, right next to my pack is a loaded LB harnass.  It has two pouches, each loaded with 4 full mags for the MAK-90; binoculars; and a 2-quart canteen.  In a SHTF situation, it would get bungeed onto the backpack with the bow, I'd sling the rifle (and have the pistol riding innocently on my hip), and move out, either on foot or in the truck.  My wife would have the shotgun for encounters with critters (2- or 4-legged variety) that managed to get past me and the rifle.

I also have pouches on my belt (the one keeping my britches from sliding off and dragging about my ankles) holding my leatherman, a folding knife and a flint and steel firestarting kit.

Finally, each member of my family has a smaller, lighter backpack, containing a change of clothes, a 1-quart canteen, and some MREs.  Oh, and my wife has the TP roll.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 11:00:06 AM »

Thats what the Gatorade or Country Time lemon ade powder is for.