Author Topic: New last book you read thread  (Read 131199 times)

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: New last book you read thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 11:11:12 AM »
I am 350 pages into the 1000+ pages of Under The Dome.  Mr. King has proven that he cannot write a book anymore without throwing in a bunch of evil conservative cliches, moonbat name calling, and liberals who save the world bullshit.  I am going to finish this book because it does have an interesting story line, but I am DONE with Stephen King!  If I wanted someone to criticize everything I hold dear then I would just read DU every night for an hour before going to bed. :bird:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »
I am 350 pages into the 1000+ pages of Under The Dome.  Mr. King has proven that he cannot write a book anymore without throwing in a bunch of evil conservative cliches, moonbat name calling, and liberals who save the world bullshit.  I am going to finish this book because it does have an interesting story line, but I am DONE with Stephen King!  If I wanted someone to criticize everything I hold dear then I would just read DU every night for an hour before going to bed. :bird:

Yeah.....I mentioned that upthread.....King has jumped the shark.....I read a review of that book, and it mentioned that most of it was consumed with anti-conservative BS, so I passed, as I have on the last two or three of his books.  It's a shame really, because I really enjoyed his work in the past......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline mamacags

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 01:28:59 PM »
Yeah.....I mentioned that upthread.....King has jumped the shark.....I read a review of that book, and it mentioned that most of it was consumed with anti-conservative BS, so I passed, as I have on the last two or three of his books.  It's a shame really, because I really enjoyed his work in the past......

doc

This was the first one I have read since finishing the Dark Tower series.  I thought I would give him a second chance since he gave me some of my favorite books.  I was wrong.  We should have a list of moonbat authors on here.  King, Cornwell, and Stuart Woods would be on my list.  I refuse to ever read another one of their books again.

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 02:43:57 PM »
"The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" by Thomas E. Woods Jr.

It's enough to make a libTURDs head 'splode.

I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Flame

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 05:36:28 PM »
Let me see....Just finished "206 Bones"...sorta like the tv show Bones...not bad.  Before that I read WEB Griffen's new book in the OSS series. Can't remeber the exact name but something like "Honor Among Spies"

Offline mamacags

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »
I read 206 Bones. I loved that book, then again I love all of her books!  I finally finished Under The Dome.  I have to finish a Dave Ramsey book but I need a new author too!  I have read all of the books by so many but I know there are more out there that I should read.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 11:23:45 AM »
I read 206 Bones. I loved that book, then again I love all of her books!  I finally finished Under The Dome.  I have to finish a Dave Ramsey book but I need a new author too!  I have read all of the books by so many but I know there are more out there that I should read.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Not sure what you like, but I'm about half way through James Rollins Altar of Eden, and its good.....I've enjoyed all of his books......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline mamacags

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 01:40:01 PM »
Not sure what you like, but I'm about half way through James Rollins Altar of Eden, and its good.....I've enjoyed all of his books......

doc

WHat kind of books does he write?  I am not a huge fan of sci-fi.  I love complex murder mysteries, weird ghost stories, Dean Koontz types, and political thrillers (not really military thrillers though).  Actually I will read just about anything as long as it isn't filled with demons or Satan.  Those creep me the hell out.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 01:44:21 PM »
WHat kind of books does he write?  I am not a huge fan of sci-fi.  I love complex murder mysteries, weird ghost stories, Dean Koontz types, and political thrillers (not really military thrillers though).  Actually I will read just about anything as long as it isn't filled with demons or Satan.  Those creep me the hell out.

It's not really sci-fi, more action adventure.......it deals with some government conspiracy stuff/genetic mutation biowarfare, etc.........generally well written.

doc

Offline mamacags

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 10:01:45 PM »
I read James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge's Worst Case and Saphire's Precious novels this week.  Patterson/Ledwidge book is part of a series about a NY detective.  LOVED IT!  Precious was a very powerful book.  It honestly made me want to stab people when I read it.  No child ever should have to go through that shit even in a book!
Winston Churchill

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 10:08:18 PM »
I've got quite the list at the moment, since I'm writing a paper for school.

Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany and the Winning of the Great War at Sea, by Robert Massie
Warlord: A Life of Winston Churchill at War, by Carlo D'Este
Gallipoli 1915, by Joseph Murray (it's his diary of the Gallipoli campaign where he served as a British soldier)
VCs of the First World War: Gallipoli, by Stephen Snelling
Winston Churchill and the Dardanelles, by Trumbull Higgins
1915: The Death of Innocence, by Lyn MacDonald

Plus the official Australian War History, which I managed to find online.

Still trying to find a diary from an Aussie or Kiwi that was there, since the paper is focusing on the Anzacs during that campaign.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline mamacags

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
I love to read about Winston Churchill!  He is one of my top 5 heroes!

Read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover last night.  I didn't get out of it what I had hoped.

I am trying to read John Irving's Last Night In The Twisted River, but I am just not in the mood for it right now.  I will be going to the library when it opens up today and getting some more books.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
Read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover last night.  I didn't get out of it what I had hoped.

I have no idea how Ramsey keeps his lucrative time slot (his show is broadcast from Franklin, TN).  If you've listened to him for any length of time, his show becomes predictable.  I listened to him for a few months... I got it.  I have no idea how he fills three hours a day saying the same things day after day.  I'd shoot myself.

The local CBS station carries his radio show on one of their digital channels.  It's just a TV camera set up in the radio station.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:21:29 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 03:24:21 PM »
I've got about 5 books workin' right now:

Cornelius Ryan: The Last Battle (read it as a teen -- now that I know the areas/neighborhood within Berlin, the story has a more profound meaning now)
Cornelius Ryan: A Bridge Too Far
WEB Griffin: A Call to Arms
WEB Griffin: Counterattack
Buck Compton: Call of Duty

(Yeah, I know, I'm a big fan of WEB Griffin. I love his style of writing -- somewhat long, drawn out, fairly tongue-in-cheek in a faux stilted style, but wry and spirited at the same time. Dialogue is first-rate and the pace is rapid, but not breakneck.)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »
I had the opportunity to catch up on some reading this past week.  I usually avoid fiction because it just doesn't interest me... there's enough history on this planet for a couple of interesting stories without having to make one up.

Thunderstruck

Larson's new suspense-spiked history links Guglielmo Marconi, the inventor of wireless telegraphy, with Hawley Crippen, a mild-mannered homeopathic doctor in turn-of-the-century London. While Larson tells their stories side by side, most listeners will struggle to find a reason for connecting the two men other than that both lived around the same time and that Goldwyn's plummy voice narrates their lives. Only on the final disc does the logic behind the intertwining of the stories become apparent and the tale gain speed. At this point, the chief inspector of Scotland Yard sets out after Crippen on a transatlantic chase, spurred by the suspicion that he committed a gruesome murder. Larson's account of the iconoclastic Marconi's quest to prove his new technology is less than engaging and Crippen's life before the manhunt was tame. Without a very compelling cast to entertain during Larson's slow, careful buildup, many listeners may not make it to the breathless final third of the book when it finally come alive.
The Snakehead: An Epic Tale of the Chinatown Underworld and the American Dream

In the 1980s, a wave of Chinese from Fujian province began arriving in America. Like other immigrant groups before them, they showed up with little money but with an intense work ethic and an unshakeable belief in the promise of the United States. Many of them lived in a world outside the law, working in a shadow economy overseen by the ruthless gangs that ruled the narrow streets of New York’s Chinatown.

The figure who came to dominate this Chinese underworld was a middle-aged grandmother known as Sister Ping. Her path to the American dream began with an unusual business run out of a tiny noodle store on Hester Street. From her perch above the shop, Sister Ping ran a full-service underground bank for illegal Chinese immigrants. But her real business—a business that earned an estimated $40 million—was smuggling people.

As a “snakehead,” she built a complex—and often vicious—global conglomerate, relying heavily on familial ties, and employing one of Chinatown's most violent gangs to protect her power and profits. Like an underworld CEO, Sister Ping created an intricate smuggling network that stretched from Fujian Province to Hong Kong to Burma to Thailand to Kenya to Guatemala to Mexico. Her ingenuity and drive were awe-inspiring both to the Chinatown community—where she was revered as a homegrown Don Corleone—and to the law enforcement officials who could never quite catch her.

Indeed, Sister Ping’s empire only came to light in 1993 when the Golden Venture, a ship loaded with 300 undocumented immigrants, ran aground off a Queens beach. It took New York’s fabled “Jade Squad” and the FBI nearly ten years to untangle the criminal network and hone in on its unusual mastermind.

The Snakehead is a panoramic tale of international intrigue and a dramatic portrait of the underground economy in which America’s twelve million illegal immigrants live. Based on hundreds of interviews, Patrick Radden Keefe’s sweeping narrative tells the story not only of Sister Ping, but of the gangland gunslingers who worked for her, the immigration and law enforcement officials who pursued her, and the generation of penniless immigrants who risked death and braved a 17,000 mile odyssey so that they could realize their own version of the American dream. The Snakehead offers an intimate tour of life on the mean streets of Chinatown, a vivid blueprint of organized crime in an age of globalization and a masterful exploration of the ways in which illegal immigration affects us all.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline mamacags

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »
I am reading the BEST first novel I have ever read!!!!  It is called The Kingdom of Ohio by Matthew Flaming.  It is about a guy working on the beginnings of the subways of NYC who meets a cultured but raggedy looking woman who claims to have time traveled 7 years forward from a place called The Kingdom of Ohio.  I honestly can't begin to tell you how good or interesting I find this book!  It has J.P. Morgan, Nikolai Tesla, Edison, and others in it too.  I am only about half way done but I can't wait to get to the end and figure out where it is all leading!
Winston Churchill

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
I've got about 5 books workin' right now:

Cornelius Ryan: The Last Battle (read it as a teen -- now that I know the areas/neighborhood within Berlin, the story has a more profound meaning now)
Cornelius Ryan: A Bridge Too Far
[

Read both a while back.....I won't give away the endings. 

:-)

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 01:08:39 PM »
For me, currently in the works:

Spartan Gold by Clive Cussler (and his latest ghost writer.)

Tigers in the Mud by Otto Carius

Recently finished:

Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop by Lee Goldberg

If Democrats Had Any Brains...  by Ann Coulter

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2010, 01:08:52 PM »
God's Fury England's Fire (on the English Civil War) working
An Army at Dawn (on the US Army in WWII Africa and the Med) finished
None Bolder (on the 51st Highland Division (UK)) working
Thousand Sons (SCI-FI) working
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
Spartan Gold by Clive Cussler (and his latest ghost writer.)

I just finished Cussler's The Silent Sea, and it is good, he just can't help lobbing a few anecdotal spears at our "gutless" POTUS.....I really like his stuff....

doc

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 01:30:55 PM »
I just finished Cussler's The Silent Sea, and it is good, he just can't help lobbing a few anecdotal spears at our "gutless" POTUS.....I really like his stuff....

doc

Just saw that one in the bookstore the other day. The SOB writes 'em faster than I can read 'em.

I still have Wrecker in the stack to read, finished Medusa earlier this year. (Cool thing about Medusa, part of it was set in area of Florida where I lived for a while.)

He's the master of the escapist adventure tale that is basically the same plot over and over: "Bad guys do something nasty that cleverly ties in with some historical event/person/artifact and then get their asses handed to them in fine fashion by Dirk Pitt, Dirk Junior and Summer, Kurt Austin or Juan Cabrillo."

Still, I love his work and he's one of maybe three or four authors whose books I will buy in hardback as soon as they come out.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »
Reading James Patterson's The 8th Confession.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2010, 12:57:04 PM »

doc

Just finished Rollins' book The Doomsday Key....oh my gosh!!!

Have not hardly been able to put it down! Read until 3:30 this morning and just spent the last 3 hrs finishing it.

Excellent!!

He had a new hardback coming out this month, might have to break down and buy it...I don't think I want to wait for the paperback!! :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2010, 01:47:20 PM »
Helter Skelter... I never did read it, and found it on top of a "free" pile while walking the dog.  (I can't resist a free book).  WOW, I can't believe I went my entire life without reading that book.  Insane!

I read that back in HS-- great book! Scared the crap out of myself reading it, but still, it was good.

Offline ardentconservative

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 06:53:46 PM »
Well, I like western fiction and am an avid reader of Louis L'Amour.

But how about Tolstoy's "War and Peace".  I loved that book.