Author Topic: Sunbeam Quartz Heater (Electric) Warning  (Read 6384 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Sunbeam Quartz Heater (Electric) Warning
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »
Just bought one of these about a month ago. It was working quite nicely until two nights ago. All of a sudden, there was the smell of electronics burning throughout the house. We traced it to the heater. Upon returning it to the store, a couple of other people said that they had the same problem. Apparently, there is some defect in the control circuits of this heater. I would recommend that people DO NOT purchase this item. If you have purchased one, I'd keep a close eye on it. If you can return it and exchange it for something else, I'd suggest that you do that.

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Sunbeam Quartz Heater (Electric) Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
I bought two of these.  I like them, but I wish they had an auto-on option.  They do have a timer for automatic shutoff.

This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »
That's what we have the majority of and exchanged the defective heater for another oil filled heater. The oil filled don't have the instant heat that the quartz heaters have, but are probably more efficient.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 12:03:47 PM »
That's what we have the majority of and exchanged the defective heater for another oil filled heater. The oil filled don't have the instant heat that the quartz heaters have, but are probably more efficient.
I have 4 of those oil filled ones Thor! I like them much better. They are also much safer to run and more efficient. You can turn them on for a couple of hours let them heat up a room and then shut them off and they will still radiate heat for a while afterward! :cheersmate:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »
Sunbeam...yeah. Have a Sunbeam light/vent/heater combo deal in the bathroom. Had to replace the heater motor about 1 1/2 years after installing the thing out of the box. Didn't even use it that much and didn't abuse the usage duration. It just fried itself one day...
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:27:40 AM »
I've had reliability issues with just about every quartz heater I've bought over the past five years or so. Usually one of the elements goes kaput.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:13:39 AM »
Not a fan of Sunbeam products, it seems everyone I get becomes faulty quicker than usual.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »
Not a fan of Sunbeam products, it seems everyone I get becomes faulty quicker than usual.

That's a problem I have with their electric blankets.