Author Topic: Delicious Ham and Potato Soup  (Read 5138 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Delicious Ham and Potato Soup
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
Delicious Ham and Potato Soup

I have made this recipe several times.  It is seriously the best potato soup I have eaten.  Well it may come close to my Mom's Baked Potato Soup but it is so good.  I have made it several times and we had it for Christmas dinner again.  I followed the recipe as written.  It has over 3,000 reviews and 5 stars.

Prep Time:
20 Min Cook Time:
25 Min Ready In:
45 Min
Servings  (Help)

USMetricCalculate

Original Recipe Yield 8 servings 
Ingredients

3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
Directions

Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.

Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.  *I served it with shredded cheddar cheese on top*

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Delicious Ham and Potato Soup
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 09:11:11 PM »
I am making this tomorrow. :hyper:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:23:34 PM »
On the stove now...

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 02:32:05 PM »
5 tablespoons butter

I was sold right there.  :drool:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Flame

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:34:23 PM »
OK, I just had a bowl, and it was totally delicious!  I didn't put in the celery (didn't have any, and don't really like it, anyway!).

I'm thinking next time I might add some corn and make it a corn/potato chowder type thing.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »
I had everything, and then I didn't have the chicken bouillon granules.  So, I decided to wait till this weekend after I buy some.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 10:13:02 PM »
I had everything, and then I didn't have the chicken bouillon granules.  So, I decided to wait till this weekend after I buy some.

If you have canned chicken broth, you could replace the water with it.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:32:49 AM »
Not having the granules was a good excuse.  I wasn't feeling up to peeling and dicing potatoes.   :-)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 09:42:04 AM »
Not having the granules was a good excuse.  I wasn't feeling up to peeling and dicing potatoes.   :-)

Ha ha, you sound like me. By the way, I put a little more granuels in than it calls for.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 09:48:34 AM »
OK, I just had a bowl, and it was totally delicious!  I didn't put in the celery (didn't have any, and don't really like it, anyway!).

I'm thinking next time I might add some corn and make it a corn/potato chowder type thing.

I like celery and I do think it adds to the soup. Maybe if you chopped it up really fine.  Glad you liked it.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:24:35 AM »
I like celery and I do think it adds to the soup. Maybe if you chopped it up really fine.  Glad you liked it.

I had most everything in my larder but ham and no celery.

I substituted a can of celery soup and for the meat a can of navy beans and a can of corn.

Darn but when I added the butter and half and half that brew was amazing.

This weekend I will get in supplies to make it your way, This is one recipes that can morph into a family recipe, one can add clams, corn, chicken or just the main ingredients.   Fun to play with, a bit of garlic, or thyme, perhaps some red pepper flakes, the possibility's are endless.    THANK YOU

Offline Karin

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 03:51:17 PM »
Hi gals and guys!  I never even knew this forum was here, I always just go to the DUmp!  I'm a  :loser:

BEG, your soup sounds soooooo much better than Greenbriars!   :-)  I'm trying it! 

I made a good soup on Sunday.  I had prime rib for New Years.  I took the pan with all the drippings in it, and added water, boiled till the pan was "clean."  Transferred to a soup pot and put in fridge till Sunday.  Skimmed off chilled fat.

Sauteed celery, onion carrot, garlic, and bay leaf + usual seasonings in some butter.  Added about 2 TBL Wondra flour.  Poured in my stock, added cubed up leftover beef, and 2 TBL tomato paste.  Simmered for about an hour.

Added 3/4 cup barley, simmered another 20 min or so.  Fantastic for a winter day. 

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 03:55:44 PM »
Karin,  that sounds very good! 

BEG-  I have the danged granules now.  The ball is in my court.  Only I am standing inbetween myself and Ham and Potato Soup.   :-)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
Karin,  that sounds very good! 

BEG-  I have the danged granules now.  The ball is in my court.  Only I am standing inbetween myself and Ham and Potato Soup.   :-)

Make it ya loser.....  :p

I wanna hear what you think after you make it.  Make the Italian Sausage soup too!!! 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 06:49:30 PM »
Hi gals and guys!  I never even knew this forum was here, I always just go to the DUmp!  I'm a  :loser:

BEG, your soup sounds soooooo much better than Greenbriars!   :-)  I'm trying it! 

I made a good soup on Sunday.  I had prime rib for New Years.  I took the pan with all the drippings in it, and added water, boiled till the pan was "clean."  Transferred to a soup pot and put in fridge till Sunday.  Skimmed off chilled fat.

Sauteed celery, onion carrot, garlic, and bay leaf + usual seasonings in some butter.  Added about 2 TBL Wondra flour.  Poured in my stock, added cubed up leftover beef, and 2 TBL tomato paste.  Simmered for about an hour.

Added 3/4 cup barley, simmered another 20 min or so.  Fantastic for a winter day. 

That sounds really good Karin. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 06:50:02 PM »
I had most everything in my larder but ham and no celery.

I substituted a can of celery soup and for the meat a can of navy beans and a can of corn.

Darn but when I added the butter and half and half that brew was amazing.

This weekend I will get in supplies to make it your way, This is one recipes that can morph into a family recipe, one can add clams, corn, chicken or just the main ingredients.   Fun to play with, a bit of garlic, or thyme, perhaps some red pepper flakes, the possibility's are endless.    THANK YOU

Yep, I'm going to change it up the next time I make it Vesta.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »

''

I am with you on the corn.....Love corn chowder.....Also don't care for celery, love the flavor not the ribs....So I would add a little celery salt or seed for th flavor....
"Liberals are like slinkies.They're really good for nothing, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »
Make it ya loser.....  :p

I wanna hear what you think after you make it.  Make the Italian Sausage soup too!!! 

So.  At 18 degrees outside, I figured the boyfriend would like some soup for dinner tonight.  Was gonna make this soup, but oh no.  He says he already took out some chicken.  So.....I am going to make the soup, and use chicken, and probably add some corn too.  And maybe a little can of green chilies.  But I AM going to make it!

Offline longview

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 05:32:58 AM »
I made this last night.  Very good!

I've made a potato/cheese soup for years, but the additions from this recipe were great.  Thanks.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 07:26:09 AM »
I made this last night.  Very good!

I've made a potato/cheese soup for years, but the additions from this recipe were great.  Thanks.

I watch that cooking show nearly home made and love it.  Problem is when an item calls for say Cream of Chedder Cheese Soup and not one grocery store in the area carries it today, but I noticed it 3 months ago.

Wierd stuff happens, my daughter called me all bent out of shape as her family got a hankering for Pea Soup, not just any kind but Campbells Soup.  The old fashioned soup, with no ham or split pea.

She had gone to 2 big time grocery stores and could not find nary a trace of it.  So we looked in our area and finally at a small Mom and Pop place found 5 cans for her.

All this shifting about of products especially ones that have been in use for 20-30 years, here today gone tomorrow.  3 months down the line there it is again.   

I hate to have to run down to Mass. to find canned Polish Ham for the holidays,   Do any of you have to go on a search for some thing you cannot find in local stores .?

Offline Flame

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 08:14:06 AM »
   Do any of you have to go on a search for some thing you cannot find in local stores .?

All the time.  I can rarely find the spices or sauces I'm used to having, living where I do now.  Heck, around here, people thing ketchup is a spice.

I miss my big grocery stores.