Author Topic: Broiled Tilapia Parmesan  (Read 11328 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Broiled Tilapia Parmesan
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Tilapia is nice.  I like a simple blackened filet with cajun seasoning.  Costco has a store-brand cajun seasoning that is very good and pretty close to what most restaurants use on their menu.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Online Karin

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 07:29:21 AM »
You guys have ruined BEG's thread!  I like tilapia, although it does need lots of help flavor-wise.  A friend of mine does this:

Mix together chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, lemon & parsley, s&p in bowl.  Spread tilapias with mayo, place on a sheet of foil (individually).  Top with tomato mixture, fold into a packet and place them in a baking sheet.  350 degrees 30-40 minutes. 

If you're ruined forever on tilapia, BEG, you could designate a pumpkin patch and bury them there.  Pumpkins love fish. 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 08:11:45 AM »
You guys have ruined BEG's thread!  I like tilapia, although it does need lots of help flavor-wise.  A friend of mine does this:

Mix together chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, lemon & parsley, s&p in bowl.  Spread tilapias with mayo, place on a sheet of foil (individually).  Top with tomato mixture, fold into a packet and place them in a baking sheet.  350 degrees 30-40 minutes. 

If you're ruined forever on tilapia, BEG, you could designate a pumpkin patch and bury them there.  Pumpkins love fish. 

This I did not know.  Is it specifically pumpkins, or all vining squashes??  The meat of the fish, or the whole shebang? 

FWIW, I use tilapia when I make Irish Fish Stew.  It is a helluva lot cheaper than cod, although given the choice I would use cod.  But it works quite nicely.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 08:40:36 AM »
You practically have to hold a gun to my head to eat ANY kind of fish or seafood.

I was ruined by many who wouldn't know a fresh fish if it jumped out of the water in their lap. Consequently, I just can't get past the fish smell, if it isn't absolutely, completely fresh.

Shrimp - fuggetaboudit. Lobster - too much of a pain in the ass to eat. Bibs and shell pieces and tiny little forks and claw crackers. Mussels - they look like large, smooth rocks. Scallops - they look like a pale turd. Clams and oysters -- um, I'm not going there.

Also, the stuff is so freakin' expensive. Just gimme a steak. It's a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle.

Oh, and I bequeath my life's ration of shrimp to LC. It sounds like he needs 'em more than I do!
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 01:28:57 PM »
You practically have to hold a gun to my head to eat ANY kind of fish or seafood.

I was ruined by many who wouldn't know a fresh fish if it jumped out of the water in their lap. Consequently, I just can't get past the fish smell, if it isn't absolutely, completely fresh.

Shrimp - fuggetaboudit. Lobster - too much of a pain in the ass to eat. Bibs and shell pieces and tiny little forks and claw crackers. Mussels - they look like large, smooth rocks. Scallops - they look like a pale turd. Clams and oysters -- um, I'm not going there.

Also, the stuff is so freakin' expensive. Just gimme a steak. It's a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle.

Oh, and I bequeath my life's ration of shrimp to LC. It sounds like he needs 'em more than I do!

You sound so much like the other half on the fish thing....

He will occasionally eat shrimp cocktail, won't eat crab, loves FRESH oysters - hard to get here, likes lobster but ohhhh so expensive, and that's about it....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Online Karin

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 01:41:21 PM »
Iassa, the whole shebang.  Heads, guts, anything else.  I'm not sure about other vining gourds, but I don't see why not. 

My other half won't eat much seafood either.  An occasional breaded fish, in a sandwich, or some cold shrimp. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 01:42:34 PM »
Although we like seafood, like Eupher, when you live in cattle country, why pay ten to fifteen bucks a pound for a meal, when you can go with a nice steak for half the price, and have more to eat.......

On Tilapia......tried it once, and found that it was so tasteless that we ended up using it in a seafood pasta dish Mrs. doc makes, kinda reminded me of eating wet cardboard.

When we do eat seafood, we usually buy frozen Mahi Mahi from Sam's, and broiled with a bit of Teryaki sauce, and served on a bed of wild rice is pretty good.  To my palate, Mahi Mahi does not really taste like fish, and it has the texture of tender chicken........it's pretty good.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline kenth

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 07:55:47 PM »
Here's what we've done with tilapia:

1 lime, juiced
couple or three tablespoons of tequila
1/4 onion, 1 garlic clove lightly crushed
salt, pepper
couple tablespoons of oil

Throw that in a bag with the tilapia to marinate for half an hour then grill. Turns out pretty awesome.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »
I picked up a tilapia fillet on the way home from the hospital last night, will probably eat it tonight. Here's what I'm thinking...

Coat lightly with italian bread crumbs, a little salt and pepper, maybe a dash of Old Bay
saute in olive oil with a bit of garlic and a dab of butter
squirt on some lemon juice near the end

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »
I picked up a tilapia fillet on the way home from the hospital last night, will probably eat it tonight. Here's what I'm thinking...

Coat lightly with italian bread crumbs, a little salt and pepper, maybe a dash of Old Bay

Tilapia isn't a strong-flavored fish, so garlic may be a little overwhelming. I'd also go with straight bread crumbs, not the Italian-flavored type. Lemon is good and just a dash of Old Bay and I think you're there.

Of course, I've known guys who ate garlic with everything - even oatmeal. Whatevah floats yer boat!  :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 05:19:11 PM »

Sounds good enough to eat....can't go wrong with garlic, lemon juice and butter, and the bread crumbs give it that little bit of uumph...Hope it was good....
"Liberals are like slinkies.They're really good for nothing, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2010, 10:17:09 AM »
It came out quite tasty. I lightly seasoned the top side with salt, pepper, garlic granules, cajun seasoning, and old bay, then sprinkled on some bread crumbs, and shook it all off. Laid that in hot oil which had a tiny bit of butter in it, and repeated seasoning, minus the bread crumbs. I just sprinkled a very tiny amount of bread crumbs on the bottom half. After turning, I dripped a few drops of both lime and lemon juice on. Ended up with a very light crispy crust.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
It came out quite tasty. I lightly seasoned the top side with salt, pepper, garlic granules, cajun seasoning, and old bay, then sprinkled on some bread crumbs, and shook it all off. Laid that in hot oil which had a tiny bit of butter in it, and repeated seasoning, minus the bread crumbs. I just sprinkled a very tiny amount of bread crumbs on the bottom half. After turning, I dripped a few drops of both lime and lemon juice on. Ended up with a very light crispy crust.

You can come cook at my house anytime...My mouth is watering....Any good Super Bowl foods in the works????
"Liberals are like slinkies.They're really good for nothing, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »
We tried Tilapia a couple of times. I think the closest thing it comes to is Sun Fish (Bluegills, only twice as big) Pretty tasteless which is what my wife likes in fish. This gives me an idea, when I went Sunfish fishing, we pounded up some saltine crackers, added pepper, coated the filets and pan fried the filets. Came out great.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »
Ate some really good Walleye last week at a family restaurant..The coated it in cornmeal and a bit of flour, salt and pepper, and it was absolutely fantastic, just like my Mom used to do..Crispy tasty, no fishy taste. So the crackers, salt and pepper would be fine too....