Author Topic: Think I just dodged a bullet  (Read 1662 times)

Offline bkg

Think I just dodged a bullet
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »
Lopi insert installed two months ago. Quality, qualified installer did a great job. New Flue, Flue off-set, used stove that was looked over by the installer (who sells this stove).

Finally got around to building hearth on Thursday. Threw up some Durrock around the stove and noticed a very strong draft all of a sudden. Going to check w/ the installers on that - I suspect it's coming around the flue insert into the old firebox.

All was great until tonight. Threw a couple of firestarters in and a small piece of pine to get things going... noticed the draft wasn't very strong. Watched it for a few minutes. All of a sudden there's smoke coming out of the fan area (air intake).  

Put out fire and trying to get the smoke out of the house.

W-T-F could cause a flue block this quickly?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:57:06 PM by bkg »

Offline zeitgeist

Re: Think I just dodged a bullet
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »
Lopi insert installed two months ago. Quality, qualified installer did a great job. New Flue, Flue off-set, used stove that was looked over by the installer (who sells this stove).

Finally got around to building hearth on Thursday. Threw up some Durrock around the stove and noticed a very strong draft all of a sudden. Going to check w/ the installers on that - I suspect it's coming around the flue insert into the old firebox.

All was great until tonight. Threw a couple of firestarters in and a small piece of pine to get things going... noticed the draft wasn't very strong. Watched it for a few minutes. All of a sudden there's smoke coming out of the fan area (air intake).  

Put out fire and trying to get the smoke out of the house.

W-T-F could cause a flue block this quickly?

Do you have a damper somewhere and is it fully open?   A nice site for questions like this:

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums

I purchased a pellet insert a couple years ago and have found this site a great source of info.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:43:52 PM »
Smoke?  In your house?  Are you telling me you started a FIRE ..... IN YOUR HOUSE?!!  Really?

hehehehehe  Move to South Texas and you won't have to worry about fires .... in your house.

KC

PS; we had a fireplace in one home we owned here and used it TWICE in one year.  The rest of the time just looking at pictures of fire will make you sweat.
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »
Hey bkg....just saw this thread....

did you figure out what happened?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.