Author Topic: 'Red' alert! State is down to la$t few mil  (Read 1836 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
'Red' alert! State is down to la$t few mil
« on: December 31, 2009, 08:26:16 AM »
ALBANY -- The state's cash reserves sunk to an all-time low yesterday as the comptroller warned that the treasury could ring in the New Year in the red for the first time.

State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli said the state was on track to start the day with a mere $833 million on hand -- about half a percent of its total $133 billion budget and the lowest figure ever recorded in at least three decades of the present accounting system.

In making the announcement, DiNapoli chided Gov. Paterson and lawmakers for approving an overly optimistic budget in April, and predicted that repercussions from the cash crisis would soon be felt by schools and local governments.

"We've never seen a cash-flow situation this dire in New York state and for the first time in history, the state could actually end a month in the red," DiNapoli said. ...

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/red_alert_state_is_down_to_la_few_fEiSeDlZ9JjUamuGCLEwwM#ixzz0bHDEfLPF

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: 'Red' alert! State is down to la$t few mil
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:41:27 AM »
to the liberals: if you give away ALL the money, there is NO money left. Just a little lesson I learned in kindergarten.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Chump

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 09:30:26 AM »
Along these lines, if you're expecting a tax refund for 2009 (and you really shouldn't be...) then get your taxes filed pronto.  As in, on the day you get your W-2s.  My state, which wasn't in budgetary trouble last year, still delayed sending tax refunds by months because of cash flow problems.  This year will be worse, for pretty much every other state as well.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:12:38 AM »
Chump--this is why you do like I do and live in a state which has NO state income tax.

And oh yeah--I'll be e-filing the day it is allowed.  I already have my last paystub(s) and employer ID numbers.  My taxes are already done.  All I have to do is update the forms online and e-file on the 15th of January.  If there is any erroneous information I can file an amended return later, but the numbers will be correct, so it won't affect my refund.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chump

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 10:19:46 AM »
Chump--this is why you do like I do and live in a state which has NO state income tax.

And oh yeah--I'll be e-filing the day it is allowed.  I already have my last paystub(s) and employer ID numbers.  My taxes are already done.  All I have to do is update the forms online and e-file on the 15th of January.  If there is any erroneous information I can file an amended return later, but the numbers will be correct, so it won't affect my refund.

Yessir.  The wife and I will end up in Tennessee, hopefully sooner rather than later, and that's one of the top five reasons.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 09:10:49 PM »
I wonder if Paterson can figure out that if you STOP SPENDING  the cash no longer goes away?

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 09:51:30 PM »
For those of you touting  the no income tax states, just remember, where there is no income tax, those funds are made up elsewhere. I looked at a $130K house in Garland, TX, where we have no income tax. The property tax on that house was $3K/yr. That's 2.3% of the assessed value. MN, which has state income tax WAS running a little less than 1% assessed value for their property tax. (The last house I lived in was assessed at $546K, the taxes were $4800/ year. Do the math before you move.) ;)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 09:55:23 PM »
For those of you touting  the no income tax states, just remember, where there is no income tax, those funds are made up elsewhere. I looked at a $130K house in Garland, TX, where we have no income tax. The property tax on that house was $3K/yr. That's 2.3% of the assessed value. MN, which has state income tax WAS running a little less than 1% assessed value for their property tax. (The last house I lived in was assessed at $546K, the taxes were $4800/ year. Do the math before you move.) ;)

Again, its the spending.