Author Topic: Tracking the DOW  (Read 792 times)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Tracking the DOW
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:56:50 PM »
I've been tracking the DOW for the past year or so...and I am glad to see that the market is slowing trickling back up.  I bought about 20 stocks(mostly blue chips, in every sector) when the DOW was a little over 8000.  I've made good gains.

I've read articles lately and listened to some guru's on FOX's business channel who say LONG term investing is a thing of the past...and how 5 years is now considered long term.  Old school tells us to buy big blue chips and leave them in till retirement...we see how that has backfired....

Obvioulsy no one here can predict what the market will do....but in your opinion, is it time to take money out of Cash and invest it into the Stock Market again??  Is long term investing a thing of the past? 

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Re: Tracking the DOW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
I'll add that I day traded back when  tech stocks were volatile and I made a pretty penny...I did lose some money at the crash of 2001...but it was not from principal..but from gains...so I did pretty well all in all.  I stayed out of the market for years and recently got back in last year....

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Tracking the DOW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:49:15 PM »
If you can get out at or near a peak, you're fine.  If not, you might have to work a bit longer to recoup your losses.

Bottom line, I still am in for the long haul.  Even with the down markets in 1987, 2001-02, and now, you'd still be WAY up.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford