Author Topic: Interesting book for your perusal  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
Interesting book for your perusal
« on: December 28, 2009, 07:42:41 PM »
I found an interesting book at the bookstore last night.  I didn't pick up a copy, but I will later on I am sure.

It is called "Nothing to Envy" and it is the result of several interviews with North Koreans who moved south in the last several years.  Several thousand have managed to do it, and most of the interviews were of people who came from one large city in the north of the country, near the Russian border.
a review

This one particular region was where the less trusted folks were dumped.  And when things broke down back in the early 90's, and there was mass starvation, this area was hurt worst.   20% died.

Weird place, even now.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: Interesting book for your perusal
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:45:09 PM »

This one particular region was where the less trusted folks were dumped.  And when things broke down back in the early 90's, and there was mass starvation, this area was hurt worst.   20% died.

Isn't the whole country like that outside of PyongYang?

Offline bijou

Re: Interesting book for your perusal
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:01:34 AM »
That looks like it should be an interesting read. According to Amazon it will be out in paperback in only  a couple of months so it can go on my list.