Author Topic: 2 al Qaeda Leaders Behind Northwest Flight 253 Terror Plot Were Released by U.S  (Read 2789 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Two of the four leaders allegedly behind the al Qaeda plot to blow up a Northwest Airlines passenger jet over Detroit were released by the U.S. from the Guantanamo prison in November, 2007, according to American officials and Department of Defense documents. Al Qaeda claimed responsibility for the Northwest bombing in a Monday statement that vowed more attacks on Americans.

American officials agreed to send the two terrorists from Guantanamo to Saudi Arabia where they entered into an "art therapy rehabilitation program" and were set free, according to U.S. and Saudi officials.  ...

link

So the art therapy was a washout ...  :censored:

Offline bkg

link

So the art therapy was a washout ...  :censored:

They wouldn't have done this had we treated them better @ Gitmo... :sarcasm:

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
Maybe we should be harder on them there so they don't want to end up there
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline zeitgeist

YGTBSM.   :thatsright:
Just for argument sake who was the Rhodes Scholar behind these releases??  (I know the DU answer, it happened on Bush watch.)

Catch and release is not a good counter terrorism strategy.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
At least we know for sure that it was Bush's fault.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline thundley4

At least we know for sure that it was Bush's fault.

Nope. I still blame liberals that were pressuring the Bush administration to release them.  :hammer:

Offline zeitgeist

Nope. I still blame liberals that were pressuring the Bush administration to release them.  :hammer:

I agree with ya thundley4, there are no hero's in this piece.  DUmmies need to be very careful if they try to push this line.  They brayed about closing Gitmo yada yada yada.  They were just good boys yer honor, tortured into confessions.  Not to mention they were in control of Congress subsequent to the 2006 election.

With those points in mind I am still not a big fan of Bush.  He tried to 'go along to get along' with the dems way too much for me and was way to liberal.  Note the hard line currently being taken by the dems, the cram it with walnuts Stanley approach.    :fuelfire:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
I remember when this was happening and we were assured by the Saudis that they guys wouldn't be released if they weren't rehabilitated.

Who could have guessed the Saudis would turn out to be liars?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Mr Mannn

Catch and release is not a good counter terrorism strategy.

Neither is entrusting them to muslim overseers. Art therapy? Thank you Saudi govt.

Bottom line: you do not negotiate with terrorists, you KILL them. No mercy.