Author Topic: The Terror This Time  (Read 1636 times)

Offline thundley4

The Terror This Time
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:17:08 PM »
The Terror This Time
Janet Napolitano says the system worked. No, we were brave and lucky.
A U.S. government that has barred the phrase "war on terror" has nonetheless acknowledged that a failed Christmas day bomb attack on an airliner was a terrorist attempt. Can we all now drop the pretense that we stopped fighting a war once Dick Cheney and George W. Bush left the White House?

The attempt by 23-year-old Nigerian Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab follows the alleged murders in Ft. Hood, Texas by Islamist-inspired Major Nidal Hasan in November. Brian Jenkins, who studies terrorism for the Rand Corporation, says there were more terror incidents (12), including thwarted plots, on U.S. soil in 2009 than in any year since 2001. The jihadists don't seem to like Americans any better because we're closing down Guantanamo.

This increasing terror tempo makes the Obama Administration's reflexive impulse to treat terrorists like routine criminal suspects all the more worrisome. It immediately indicted Mr. Abdulmutallab on criminal charges of trying to destroy an aircraft, despite reports that he told officials he had ties to al Qaeda and had picked up his PETN explosive in Yemen. The charges mean the Nigerian can only be interrogated like any other defendant in a criminal case, subject to having a lawyer present and his Miranda rights read.

Yet he is precisely the kind of illegal enemy combatant who should be interrogated first with the goal of preventing future attacks and learning more about terror networks rather than gaining a single conviction. We now have to hope he cooperates voluntarily.
WSJ online

Interrogated hell, I'd use EIT on this POS.

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
Re: The Terror This Time
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
Maybe we should show them what were are capable if our hands we not tied by the politics
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: The Terror This Time
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
Maybe we should show them what were are capable if our hands we not tied by the politics

That's exactly the problem: in their mind, there is no time in which America's hands are not tied by politics.  President Bush's legalese ROE for the Afghanistan/Iraq did nothing to dissuade them of the notion, and Lord Ø's retarded efforts to "redress the abuses of his predecessor" only reinforce their certainty of the notion.

Personally, I'm not so certain they're wrong.  If they were, I think the likelihood is high that Tehran and many other terrorist sponsors in the region would have been glowing glass bowls after the World Trade Center attack, take 2.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus