Author Topic: Home Theater hookup  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Schadenfreude

Home Theater hookup
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:09:53 AM »
Alrighty then, I just bought a Home Theater system for my family. Like many others these days, we bought what we could afford.

So my main components are as follows:

Cable Box
Sony Wega TV (hdmi jacks, component video, audio out, video in, etc)
PS3 (blu ray video that I would like to make use of)
Panasonic Surround Sound Speakers/DVD (not blu ray)

My first dilemma: Can't get the cable sound to use the speaker system.

According to the TV manual, all I need to do is plug in the audio out from the TV to the receiver and use the soft switch via the TV menu to turn the TV speaker off and set the volume to fixed (so I can use the receiever volume control. No sound at all.

Maybe the audio out is messed up?

Ok, so the way I understand it, I could instead connect the hdmi (tv) to hdmi (receiver) and that would transport both video and audio from TV to receiver, correct?

My second dilemma: How to make use of the blu ray on the PS3. Suggestions?
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Home Theater hookup
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:33:21 PM »
I have my computer hooked up to my stereo and my TV. There was an option to use the HDMI  to the stereo, but there were some sound problems I read about in doing it that way. I forget the solution at the moment, but I'll wager a bet that your problem is similar. I'd give the cable company a call and see what they know off hand.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson