Author Topic: Hillary just won the NH primary??  (Read 15326 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Hillary just won the NH primary??
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 11:07:11 PM »
If her crying is the reason she surged past Obama, gals, you are seeing why the 19th amendment will doom this country. I know all of you women think logically, hell, you're conservative, but you're in the minority in your gender.

i guess older women felt sorry for her and took pity on her.. if it was the tears that helped her.

or the polling was wrong all along.

the polls had her losing by 7-9%, and she appears as though she will win by 3%.  nothing can explain 10-13% other than massive polling error.  although it's possible that the obama bump was a temporary thing that was a result of his iowa win, and that due to the very small amount of time between the iowa caucus and the NH primary, the polls didn't have time to pick up the fact that the bump was receding.

but due to my boundless faith in the intelligence of the american voter ( :whatever:), I just can't believe that it was the "crying episode".  or perhaps I just don't want to. ::)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 11:10:02 PM »
Lauri, watch "Black Sheep" with Chris Farley and David Spade.

BTW, I was staying at the Ramada Inn Governor's House.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 11:11:25 PM »
The biggest loser tonight was the media and their pundits.....their double talk rivals Hillary's.

Yesterday, Hillary was a has-been, today, she'll get the nomination.  Basically, they're as clueless as the rest of us. 

It's anyone's game now.  I'm just hoping the "silent majority" does it's job in November.

yeah, but in two weeks the MSM will still be involved in the democrat primaries, whereas johnny whistle britches edwards will not.   not in any significant way, at any rate.:evillaugh:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 11:20:55 PM »

maybe it took the win in iowa before people stopped long enough to actually contemplate this guy as president, and finally came to realize that the presidency just isn't an entry level job.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 11:33:31 PM »
I'm more concerned about the fact that democrats are coming out in droves and the republican numbers pale in comparison.

Perhaps because we're not thrilled with our choices and keep switching candidates...I'm firmly on the fence.  I'll continue to watch the debates until something like this happens.... :ohsnap:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 11:44:46 PM »
I'm more concerned about the fact that democrats are coming out in droves and the republican numbers pale in comparison.

Perhaps because we're not thrilled with our choices and keep switching candidates...I'm firmly on the fence.  I'll continue to watch the debates until something like this happens.... :ohsnap:

turnout was a dem tsunami in iowa, but the caucus is a ridiculous way to pick a candidate;  you can literally bus people in from other states and stuff the places where the caucus(es?) are held.   I almost wish iowa was at the end of the primary process; the place freaks everybody out every four years.

turnout was more even in NH, although I think you are right, dem turnout was higher, but I have also read that the early exit polls say mccain was getting a large share of the independents.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 11:49:55 PM »
Looking at NH voter turnout over the last two election cycles, the R/D ratio is about even with the exception of their last Gubernatorial election.  Almost three times as many votes went to the Democrat than the Republican candidate.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 12:14:10 AM »
If her crying is the reason she surged past Obama, gals, you are seeing why the 19th amendment will doom this country. I know all of you women think logically, hell, you're conservative, but you're in the minority in your gender.

i guess older women felt sorry for her and took pity on her.. if it was the tears that helped her.

the polls had her losing by 7-9%, and she appears as though she will win by 3%.  nothing can explain 10-13% other than massive polling error.  although it's possible that the obama bump was a temporary thing that was a result of his iowa win, and that due to the very small amount of time between the iowa caucus and the NH primary, the polls didn't have time to pick up the fact that the bump was receding.

but due to my boundless faith in the intelligence of the american voter ( :whatever:), I just can't believe that it was the "crying episode".  or perhaps I just don't want to. ::)

never underestimate stupid women..

i keep reading about women who supposedly want a woman president for no other reason than she is a woman. her politics be damned.

Hawkgirl I'm still on the fence as well.. our caucus is in late February and it might all be over by then.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 12:29:58 AM »

never underestimate stupid women..

i keep reading about women who supposedly want a woman president for no other reason than she is a woman. her politics be damned.

Hawkgirl I'm still on the fence as well.. our caucus is in late February and it might all be over by then.

I never underestimate stupid women.  it's the smart ones that always trip me up. :-)

the pundits are putting a lot of the reason for the big hillary turnaround on the crying episode.  laura ingrahm is about the only talking head that I have heard tonight who thinks that maybe we all just got caught up in a personality cult for a few days.

I think she may have it about right.  the next few primaries will tell . . .

and none of our candidates particularly excite me, either.  National Review endorsed romney, and that means something to me.  but I don't have much time left to decide;  the SC primary is next.  (or close to it)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 12:36:03 AM »

it could also be the clinton machine in action.  she has had a massive ground game in place in NH for two years;  maybe they just did a hell of a job turnout out their supporters.  it's easy to forget that obama is brand new to this.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 07:53:36 AM »

Rebel, I retract my earlier comments about the crying episode having little or no effect on last night's results.  clinton's communications director was interviewed on I-forget-which-cable-news-network last night, and made so many references to it that I am convinced it was intentional, and that people fell for it.

I apologize for having so much faith in the intelligence of the american voter.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 08:08:03 AM »

I have heard that the majority of married women are conservative and the majority of single women are liberal.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline scotth

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 08:08:22 AM »
The problem is the media desire to make more drama then there actually is, the media wants to manufacture the story.

Truth is, Obama win in Iowa wasn't all that big.  Hilary was never expected to do well in Iowa.  Iowa was a much bigger defeat for Edwards then it was for Clinton.  Caucus aren't about polling it about turn out and having the political machine to get the job.  Clinton has always been stronger in NH and you saw that tonight.  Actually I think the biggest story was Edwards did better than expects as far as a percentage.  But if you look at NH voting with independents getting to vote in either primary.  Obama was hurt by Edwards still being in the race and McCain resurgence.  Get rid of either of those factors and Obama probably wins.

Bottomline is hopefully we can get rid of some of the ridiculous pundit stories like Clinton was going to quit the race and get to a more reality based story.  The nominating process will be on going process because both fields are still way to close to call.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 08:12:56 AM »

I honestly believe the Dems are on a mission and are starting early. They are foaming at the mouth to NOT have another Republican in the WH, and we are seeing how serious they are about that.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 08:47:02 AM »
The problem is the media desire to make more drama then there actually is, the media wants to manufacture the story.

Truth is, Obama win in Iowa wasn't all that big.  Hilary was never expected to do well in Iowa.  Iowa was a much bigger defeat for Edwards then it was for Clinton.  Caucus aren't about polling it about turn out and having the political machine to get the job.  Clinton has always been stronger in NH and you saw that tonight.  Actually I think the biggest story was Edwards did better than expects as far as a percentage.  But if you look at NH voting with independents getting to vote in either primary.  Obama was hurt by Edwards still being in the race and McCain resurgence.  Get rid of either of those factors and Obama probably wins.

Bottomline is hopefully we can get rid of some of the ridiculous pundit stories like Clinton was going to quit the race and get to a more reality based story.  The nominating process will be on going process because both fields are still way to close to call.

for be it for me to defend the MSM . . . .

while it is true that the MSM loves a horserace almost as much as it loves candidate brawls, I don't think the media made up the big lead hillary had in iowa, and I don't think they made up the fact that she got obliterated in the caucuses.  And I don't think that her win last night was a media figment.  they may have exaggerated the extent of obamamania and the fervent dedication of the obamese, but that actually remains to be seen.

last night was an honest to God shock, and legitimate huge news story.  I think we are on unplowed ground here.  the dems are going to nominate a woman or an african american for president.  we have never been here before, and there is a real possibility that the current predictive and exit poll models are simply not picking up voter trends -- to the extent that they ever did in the first place.

and edwards has only been the story in that he is simply not a factor, and hasn't been from the get-go.  he's consistently coming in second and third.  he did that last time, for heaven's sake.  the guy is a bleeder;  he's the fat kid in the slasher movie.  you knew he wasn't going to make it until the end of the movie as soon as you saw him lumber on screen.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 08:52:30 AM »
Well said, Wretch.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Lauri

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 09:25:39 AM »

it could also be the clinton machine in action.  she has had a massive ground game in place in NH for two years;  maybe they just did a hell of a job turnout out their supporters.  it's easy to forget that obama is brand new to this.

im a tad suspect about the 'ran out of ballots' issue that happened. did her campaign bus in a bunch of people from out of state? that would seem odd that they didnt have enough ballots for registered voters..

or can they register at the primary in NH?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 09:36:10 AM »

I understand that they ran out of republican ballots, too.  it looks like NH just had unexpectedly massive turnout across the board.  I think they had the ballots, they just hadn't distributed them to the various locations in sufficient quantities.

And I think that you have to be pre-registered in NH.  it's the iowa caucus that you can bus people in from wherever you find them and pack the caucus meeting location.  but I don't know that for a fact.

Now, having said all that, where the clintons are involved, maximum cynicism is in order.  so maybe dead people, pets, and even dead pets voted last night.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 09:38:57 AM »
I told you guys, she's totally working the angles and playing the "whatever works card" every single day. Hillary has many cards in her deck too. Think about it. At some point, she has used all of these:

1. Known Quantity
2. Female
3. Washington Insider
4. Clinton namebrand
5. Feminist
6. Liberal
7. Inevitable
8. Wife/Mother/Daughter (hey! I'm just like you!)

And I'm sure a few others I've forgotten. My point is, she has more to play with than the other Dems running. I am finding it amusing that she is still so polarizing in spite of these "positives".  :-)

I'm still on the fence. I want Thompson but I will support the GOP candidate.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2008, 09:47:56 AM »
I told you guys, she's totally working the angles and playing the "whatever works card" every single day. Hillary has many cards in her deck too. Think about it. At some point, she has used all of these:

1. Known Quantity
2. Female
3. Washington Insider
4. Clinton namebrand
5. Feminist
6. Liberal
7. Inevitable
8. Wife/Mother/Daughter (hey! I'm just like you!)

And I'm sure a few others I've forgotten. My point is, she has more to play with than the other Dems running. I am finding it amusing that she is still so polarizing in spite of these "positives".  :-)

I'm still on the fence. I want Thompson but I will support the GOP candidate.

I just find the whole thing terribly entertaining.  watching a clinton run for president (in the primaries, at least) is more fun than a republican should be allowed to have.

now, having one in the whitehouse, on the other hand . . . .

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2008, 11:57:56 AM »
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2008, 04:39:02 PM »
The NH has a whopping 30 delegates, IA 50+. It takes over 2,000 to get the nomination; So these two little itty bitty states count for less than a 100. Wow. These candidates spends millions to get so few delegates. Since MI & FL moved their caucus dates up the candidates get 0 Democ. delegates. After SC & NV comes super Tuesday on Feb.5 with over 2 thousand delegates selected.

So all this coverage about the caucus of these small states is a joke. Another joke is the number of votes in this state; less than 300k Democratic voters. A massive number don't you think? :whatever: :popcorn: :lmao:  
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:41:41 PM by Lacarnut »