Author Topic: 21 dead dolphins found on Texas shore  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
21 dead dolphins found on Texas shore
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:25:07 AM »
Unfreakin.....................BELIEVEABLE

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2966343

flashl  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-06-08 09:40 AM
Original message
21 dead dolphins found on Texas shore
 Advertisements [?]Mar 4,

CHICAGO (AFP) - Marine officials are worried that they may be facing another significant dolphin die-off in the Gulf of Mexico after 21 of the marine mammals were found washed up on Texas beaches over two days.

The carcasses were discovered a year after about 70 dolphins washed up in the same area over a two week period.

"We are concerned, especially because (of) what happened last year," said Blair Maise, the marine mammal stranding coordinator for the national marine fisheries service.

"There may be more."

Researchers weren't able to determine a cause for last year's significant die-off because the animals' carcasses were too decomposed when they were discovered.

Yahoo

I know about dead zones in the Gulf of Mexico. I wonder how the marine officals and researchers missed that?

Success eludes dead-zone task force

A federal-state task force created to address the dead-zone problem in the Gulf of Mexico met in Chicago last week. They came together with a number of state and local officials but had little to report in regard to reducing or eliminating the zone. The results so far are not encouraging. More than seven years after the task force pledged to reduce the zone to a quarter of its size by 2015, it is still growing - to nearly 8,000 square miles last summer.
Donald Boesch, president of the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science, has studied dead zones in the Gulf and the Chesapeake Bay since the 1980s. He says the task force is "on a fast march to nowhere."
Many of Louisiana's problems are homegrown, but dead zones in the Gulf are unwanted gifts, primarily from other parts of the nation. Huge areas of depleted oxygen are caused by agriculture runoff. It flows down the Mississippi and Atchafalaya, bearing fertilizer and other chemicals, the most harmful of which is nitrogen. In the oxygen-depleted zones that result, fish flee and bottom-feeding marine life is killed.

The Advertiser

You are a ****ing idjit. You don't even read what you post.

jakem  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-06-08 09:42 AM
Response to Original message
1. Clearly Hillary trying to keep them from the polls.
 Edited on Thu Mar-06-08 09:42 AM by jakem
oops. is this not GD-P
?

:mental: :lmao: :rotf:

lynnertic  (989 posts)       Thu Mar-06-08 09:46 AM
2. i'm surprised 'dead zones' = O2 depleted water would kill dolphins
 because they breathe air with lungs. They're mammals.

Oh here we go..............maybe some should reaqd the entire article. If not mistaken (going off memory from reading this ealier on another site and don't feel like reading what the primitives read) almost all of the dolphin were basically three months old, I think with like two that were older. Something else is going on here, this also happened last year and the dolphin were found with an algea that was related to the dead zone. I have a theory on this, and unlike TNO I know it to just be a theory and not used as fact, plus their theories are funnier

Exhibit A..........crazy teki

tekisui  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-06-08 09:56 AM
Response to Reply #2
5. You may think I'm crazy.....
 But, I believe whales and dolphins to be sentient, self-aware beings. When whales beach themselves or dolphins die in groups, I consider the possibility of suicide. They are trying to get our attention through protest suicide. We are damaging the world and the ocean we all share.

Yes.............we don't think, we know you are Crazy. Please follow there example and protest.

flashl  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-06-08 10:00 AM
Response to Reply #2
6. IF they test the dolphins they may find dioxins. nt

Ahh....................I'm going to go out on the limb and guess that the primitives are switching from Methyl Mercury from coal power, to Dioxins. Hmmm Dolphin are an Apex predator in the Ocean, so................yeah they are going to have high levels of Mercury and probably dioxins. Stupid idjit

jus_the_facts (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-06-08 09:51 AM
4. Yeah let's just keep TALKING about actually doing something to stop this   
 and all the other things ****ing up the world...while absolutely nothing is ever done to even slow it down...much less stop it...oooOOOooo I know...let's get a DEMOCRAT elected to SAVE US ALL from ourselves.

There it is for all to see..............the Nanny state minded primitives
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.