Author Topic: Need some stereo system help/advice  (Read 8895 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Need some stereo system help/advice
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »
LOL!
I've seen that recording of 1812 actually BLOW speakers right out of the enclosure.  Not like explosive, but still totally wrecked.

Yeah.....the old red "clipping" indicators on the amps will light up a bit, but the speakers hang in there.........my biggest challenge with that recording was finding a cartridge for my tonearm that would actually TRACK through the cannon fire, without jumping out of the groove.....but I finally found a combination that worked......I love that album, but I only get to play it when I'm here alone......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 04:24:06 PM »
Just FYI, the old speakers maybe weighed 5 lbs (I'm being generous) The replacement speakers that are rated at 125 watts continuous and 250 watts peak weigh in close to 15 lbs each. (that's JUST the drivers) A dramatic difference. While the old speakers LOOKED  of decent quality (on their face), they weren't. One could only discern the poor quality after they were removed from the cabinet.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »
Just FYI, the old speakers maybe weighed 5 lbs (I'm being generous) The replacement speakers that are rated at 125 watts continuous and 250 watts peak weigh in close to 15 lbs each. (that's JUST the drivers) A dramatic difference. While the old speakers LOOKED  of decent quality (on their face), they weren't. One could only discern the poor quality after they were removed from the cabinet.

An easy way to determine the relative quality of a speaker is the weight of the magnet.......the heavier the speaker, likely the better the quality.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 12:26:29 PM »
An easy way to determine the relative quality of a speaker is the weight of the magnet.......the heavier the speaker, likely the better the quality.

doc

This I did know. What I didn't know was exactly how wimpy the original woofers were until I pulled them from the cabinet. The cabinets were quite heavy, almost too much for me to walk and carry. ALL of the speakers have been replaced now. My system sounds pretty good, all in all. However, I'm not an audiophile and those types would probably disagree with me.

The only problem I have now is that the turntable seems to lack bass. It's there, but pretty lame when compared to CDs or MP3s. My research leads me towards replacing the cartridge, but that's for another time. I have things that I MUST tend to before I spend any more $$ on my entertainment venues.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson