Author Topic: Help Make Important YouTube Video Go Viral  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Bill Thompson

• Probationary (Probie)
Help Make Important YouTube Video Go Viral
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:20:46 AM »
Did you catch the Walmart Christmas Commercial? I am talking about the one that appeared before Thanksgiving.

I am talking about that one where a little kid told Santa that he wanted snow for his dad who (I guess) is serving in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

It was touching and emotional. And this is what I found the most offensive about it. I thought that it was very wrong to make a commercial venture out of war, family seperation and the illusion that Walmart actually cares about the USA and the military (I am not sure if they do or don't but they have a bad reputation as far as being good to America for America's own good).

The commercial begins with some troops coming off of patrol (looking more like actors than real troops, of course) and being astonished at the sight of flakes falling on them in the hot desert.

Being ex-military, I do not think of snow when I see flakes falling on troops in a desert war-zone. And being someone who keeps up with current world events and who has nukes and who wants nukes, I also do not think of snow in this context.

That is right, nuclear fall out.

But since the kid at the end of the commercial tells hims mom that he wished for "something for Dad" the idea of it being nuclear fall out has a very dark quality.

But still, I think the very existance of this commerical is alarming. It shows a lot of things and all the things it shows are pretty bad. It shows that the american public are so easily moved by fantasy from a big company to buy from it. It shows that people are willing to accept the commercialization of what should be more heart-felt. But it also shows how people do not really know how serious this war really is and what threats await us if we do not take it seriously.

In fact, does The President know? I have read that he is planning on leaving Afghanistan in 3 years no matter if we win or not.

So I have decided to make a youtube mashup about this commercial. I made it in a way that the blame for the dark tone of the kid wanting nuclear fallout on his dad to be on the heads of The Taliban.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5WK-NV1Kg8

Some "people" who I guess love Walmart have gotten to the video first and are gleefully giving it one star so that people will not bother watching it.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: Help Make Important YouTube Video Go Viral
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
Ya know what skippy?  I watched the damned thing the first time you posted it.  I want that minute of my life back.

If all you're gonna do is self-promote your lackluster Ewe-Tewbing skills in a pathetic attempt to garner 15 minutes of innerwebs fame, then perhaps this forum isn't for you.

At the very least, these two threads of yours perhaps belong in the <BLOGS> board.  As I'm not a mod though, that's only a gentle suggestion from one user to another.

Sorry to come down on ya like a ton of bricks man, but geezus.....
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Bill Thompson

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:22:58 PM »
Ya know what skippy?  I watched the damned thing the first time you posted it.  I want that minute of my life back.

If all you're gonna do is self-promote your lackluster Ewe-Tewbing skills in a pathetic attempt to garner 15 minutes of innerwebs fame, then perhaps this forum isn't for you.

At the very least, these two threads of yours perhaps belong in the <BLOGS> board.  As I'm not a mod though, that's only a gentle suggestion from one user to another.

Sorry to come down on ya like a ton of bricks man, but geezus.....

Maybe we need to be nuked to wake us up.

Offline bkg

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 08:24:44 PM »
Maybe we need to be nuked to wake us up.

WTF? :confused:

Offline Chump

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »
Being ex-military, I do not think of snow when I see flakes falling on troops in a desert war-zone. And being someone who keeps up with current world events and who has nukes and who wants nukes, I also do not think of snow in this context.

Most Americans are not ex-military, so their initial thoughts would likely be different than someone who's experienced desert combat, agreed?

What kind of person is someone who, "...has nukes and who wants nukes...?"   :clueless:
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 08:49:17 PM »
What kind of person is someone who, "...has nukes and who wants nukes...?"   :clueless:

That would be me after one hot wing night planning my next.  :-)
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 08:59:57 PM »
As a Former Marine from the Cold War (Dragon anti-tank gunner and Shipboard Nuclear Weapon Security Guard) I don't think of snow as "fallout." Living in CT running to a shelter everytime I see snow would really screw up my schedule. 

I saw that Wal-Mart commercial and thought it was ****ing genius - the guy or girl that made it should get a huge bonus. And that brings me to you; I seriously doubt your ex-military claim because most I know who truly served say ex-Navy, ex-Army, ex-AF, or Former Marine. What the hell does ex military mean anyway? I'm not watching your little video and I hope you enjoy being a fruitcake, goodnight.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »
I hope you enjoy being a fruitcake, goodnight.

With your permission, I would love to borrow that.   :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 08:55:28 AM »
The commercial begins with some troops coming off of patrol (looking more like actors than real troops, of course) and being astonished at the sight of flakes falling on them in the hot desert.

Umm, Skippy?

Global Warming: Snow in Saudi Arabia??
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
by Matt Gauntt
Yes campers, you read that right, we have snow in Saudi Arabia. Click on the photo to the right so you can clearly see the fluffy white stuff sitting in the middle of the desert. And no, this is not the result of some kind of explosion at the Ski Dubai resort.

This probably tops the news from last year, when we had snow in Las Vegas.  In that post, I praised Al Gore, and it is obvious that his warnings have truly worked and now the planet is saved!!!  Perhaps our Savior has been right all along on this global warming stuff, even though the EPA is questioning him.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, a single anomalous event does not prove long term climactic trends. I agree. So this summer, when we have some drought, and there are pictures of dried up riverbeds, let's not have Keith Olbermann say this is overwhelming proof of the onslaught of global warming and it was all Bush's fault - OK?
You were saying?
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 09:16:30 AM »
As a Former Marine from the Cold War (Dragon anti-tank gunner and Shipboard Nuclear Weapon Security Guard) I don't think of snow as "fallout." Living in CT running to a shelter everytime I see snow would really screw up my schedule. 

I saw that Wal-Mart commercial and thought it was ****ing genius - the guy or girl that made it should get a huge bonus. And that brings me to you; I seriously doubt your ex-military claim because most I know who truly served say ex-Navy, ex-Army, ex-AF, or Former Marine. What the hell does ex military mean anyway? I'm not watching your little video and I hope you enjoy being a fruitcake, goodnight.

I agree with you RC....I thought it was a great commercial.

I took it to mean that a child wanted something for his dad....who is far away from home and family....that would remind his dad of home and his child and bring a smile to his face...which it did to all of the soldiers.

Was it realistic....no.

I also took it as a major company, pointing out in a nationally shown commercial, acknowledging that many family members will not be home for the holidays this year as they are half way around the world fighting for our freedoms.

I think it's Budwiser that does essentially the same thing every year during the Super Bowl.

Perhaps Thompson's issue is more with Walmart or Santa Claus and Christmas....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 06:38:06 PM »
With your permission, I would love to borrow that.   :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Please do.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent