Author Topic: Minneapolis Somali Contigent Aiding in Somali War Effort  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Minneapolis Somali Contigent Aiding in Somali War Effort
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:24:49 AM »
Eight Charged In U.S. for Somali War Recruiting

November 23, 2009 by Homeland Security NTARC News  

Authorities unsealed terrorism-related charges Monday against eight defendants they said recruited young Somali-American men to return to their homeland to fight for an Islamist militant group.

The charges said men were recruited in Minneapolis mosques to fight for al-Shabaab, which the United States accuses of being al Qaeda’s proxy in the Horn of Africa nation.

In all, authorities have charged 14 people with recruiting, training or financing travel for young Somali immigrants in Minneapolis, which is home to some 50,000 Somalis.

About 20 young men, all but one of Somali descent, have left the Minneapolis area since September 2007 to train with and fight for al-Shabaab, authorities said.

U.S. Attorney B. Todd Jones said all were recruited to fight in Somalia, and there was no indication any had been directed to come back to the United States to launch attacks on U.S. soil.

“The sad reality is that the vibrant Somali community here in Minneapolis has lost many of its sons to fighting in Somalia,” Jones said.

“These young men have been recruited to fight in a foreign war by individuals and groups using violence against government troops and civilians,” he said.

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/updates/2009/11/23/eight-charged-in-u-s-for-somali-war-recruiting/

Having driven through that part of the city when I was working at Lock & Dam #1, I've always suspected that there were terrorist ties. Then there were all the local news reports about how people from that general area were  laundering/ collecting money and sending it to Al Qaeda. My suspicions turned out to be true.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson