Author Topic: NFL Quarterback Brett Favre to Retire After 17 Seasons With Packers  (Read 9077 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator

GREEN BAY, Wis.  —  FOX Sports and ESPN.com are reporting that Packers quarterback Brett Favre will not return for an 18th NFL season.

Favre told Packers coach Mike McCarthy that he will retire. That's according to ESPN.com, who talked to Favre's agent Bus Cook.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,334811,00.html

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: NFL Quarterback Brett Favre to Retire After 17 Seasons With Packers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:31:42 AM »
I hope Wretch will take the news okay.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
If not, we'll form a support group and talk him down.  :innocent:

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 09:40:06 AM »

I am going home and dressing in black.  for the next year.  life no longer seems as colorful, and fall no longer has any meaning.  I need to be sedated.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »

AAAAARARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:47:01 AM »

AAAAARARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

For once, your avatar matches your emotions.

Sorry, Wretch.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:51:35 AM »

how unexpected.  he comes back after a miserable 4-12 season, but retires after going 13-3 in one of the most prolific statistical years of his career, and coming an OT field goal away from the super bowl?  and with some truly fine young receivers?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 09:52:27 AM »

I am rethinking the position that I took in the euthanasia thread. :bawl:

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 09:58:10 AM »
I saw that too, WE. Truly a sad day for football. Favre was one of the greatest players ever to play the game, and he had such love for the game... even the stinkin' Bears fans, as much as they hated the Pack... they loved to watch the man play.

But we gotta remember, he's had 17 years.... most players don't last half as long. I wish he would have ended it with another SB ring, but what can ya do?  I hope Aaron Rodgers is able to step up.. he's got some pretty damn big shoes to fill.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 11:18:51 AM »
 :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

I knew this day was coming.

Methinks Brett was simmering mad at the Pack front office for not signing Randy Moss two years in a row.

Dammit.

Okay Aaron Rodgers, let's see what you can do over a full season.

Thanks for the memories Brett.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 11:19:41 AM »
I am afraid to see the mass suicides in Wisconsin.

A whole state will be in mourning.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »
I was hoping for one more season :(
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 02:17:33 PM »

I haven't missed a single game of his last four seasons (via DTV), because I knew this day was coming, and didn't want to regret those one or two games that I missed from his last year in the NFL.

but it still sucks.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »
A lot of me wishes that Favre would stay another year.

But, I'm an AFC guy.  What should I care if Brett Favre retires? . . . Well, he's one of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game.  There's some small part of me that feels that the game itself suffers when a great player retires.

That part is really loud now.

I would love to see Favre put the green and gold on for one more year.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »

I haven't missed a single game of his last four seasons (via DTV), because I knew this day was coming, and didn't want to regret those one or two games that I missed from his last year in the NFL.

but it still sucks.
I'm wondering if I can get a black armband with a green number 4 on it.  Or maybe a 4 inside a G.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 08:40:22 PM »

the nfl network has turned into the brett favre network tonight.  they did a one hour program on his career, and now they are replaying super bowl XXXI.  sportscenter was dedicated to #4 tonight;  they even referred to their program as "favrecenter"

what a crappy day.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 09:09:06 PM »
The dude is 38 years old.  That's about 8 years older than any quarterback needs to be.  The body starts to go downhill.  I think it is a smart thing to do.  Look at Aikman.  He moves like an old man.  He's 41.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 09:15:48 PM »
The dude is 38 years old.  That's about 8 years older than any quarterback needs to be.  The body starts to go downhill.  I think it is a smart thing to do.  Look at Aikman.  He moves like an old man.  He's 41.

conjecture that I have been hearing is that he primarily came back this year to prove the "experts" that said he was washed up wrong.  having done that in rather spectacular fashion last season, there wasn't really anything left to prove.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 09:30:21 PM »

conjecture that I have been hearing is that he primarily came back this year to prove the "experts" that said he was washed up wrong.  having done that in rather spectacular fashion last season, there wasn't really anything left to prove.

Very good then, he went out on his own terms.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 10:49:02 PM »
Marino and Montana ended their careers with losses too.

The NFL is much weaker without Brett Favre.   They lost a true ambassodor to the way football should be played

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »
The first year will be the hardest in the No Favre League.   :(  :( :(

Aaron Rodgers just inherited the most unenviable job in football. Poor guy will likely have "He was no Favre" carved into his tombstone.  Oh, well. GB can still be really good (Eli won a SB fer gosh sakes) and the NFL is a better place when GB is really good. I hope the "kid" turns into something special.

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »

Aaron Rodgers just inherited the most unenviable job in football. Poor guy will likely have "He was no Favre" carved into his tombstone.  Oh, well. GB can still be really good (Eli won a SB fer gosh sakes) and the NFL is a better place when GB is really good. I hope the "kid" turns into something special.

the problem with assessing the abilities of brett favre's backup (even if it was for three years), is that you never saw him play.  he did relatively well against the cowboys, but a statistician would call that "insufficient sample size"

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »

I seem to recall some kid named Young who had to fill the shoes of the legendary Joe Montana.  He turned out OK, IIRC.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 02:02:14 PM »
Marino and Montana ended their careers with losses too.

The NFL is much weaker without Brett Favre.   They lost a true ambassodor to the way football should be played

Never has a human being brought more Joie de vivre to any game, anywhere.  To watch Favre play was to see someone sublimely in love with what he is doing, who he is doing it with, and those watching him do it.

We shall not see his kind again.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 03:04:04 PM »

the problem with assessing the abilities of brett favre's backup (even if it was for three years), is that you never saw him play.  he did relatively well against the cowboys, but a statistician would call that "insufficient sample size"

Not a lot to go on but the staff has plenty of info and IMHO, AR could be fine. They would have sent Rodgers packing (no pun intended) if they didn't think he was high quality. They have had plenty of tape to watch and plenty of doubt about Brett's status the last few years for the #2 QB to be a priority and they have stuck with Rodgers. That makes me think he will be OK. Matt Hasselbeck was a Favre backup turned pro-bowler when he followed Holmgren to Seattle. (not that Rodgers has to be a pro-bowler for the Pack to be good)

Montana was one of the all time greats but his bulb was dimmed by injury and hanging on to long. Joe cool was given a gentle shove (all the way to Kansas City) to make room for Young. Not quite the same pressure. Anywho, my only point was that anyone following Favre will look like a toad at first. I just hope it dosen't last to long. (also been looking for an excuse to post that pic for weeks)  :uhsure: :p
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826