Author Topic: Hasan to Be Charged With 13 Counts of Premeditated Murder in Fort Hood Massacre  (Read 12660 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant

DEVELOPING: Army psychiatrist Major Nidal Hasan will be charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder in last week's Fort Hood mass shootings, a military source told Fox News Thursday.

Hasan, 39, is suspected of killing 13 of his comrades Nov. 5 when he opened fire at a soldier processing center at the Army base in Killeen, Texas.

The American-born military psychiatrist survived the rampage and is being guarded at a hospital in San Antonio. He has been talking to investigators.

Hasan is accused of firing about 100 rounds at unsuspecting fellow soldiers filling out deployment paperwork before civilian police officers shot him and stopped the attack.

The massacre killed 13 people and left about 30 others wounded. It has been classified as the worst mass shooting on an American military base.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,574551,00.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
I'm listening to the news briefing right now. My question is: why is he NOT being charged with 30 counts of attempted murder, in addition to the pre-meditated murder charges ?? What about the unborn fetus that was killed??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
I'm listening to the news briefing right now. My question is: why is he NOT being charged with 30 counts of attempted murder, in addition to the pre-meditated murder charges ?? What about the unborn fetus that was killed??

I was wondering why it wasn't 14 counts of murder also.

Does it have to do with Texas law?

I don't think all states rule the same on the unborn. I think some rule that it has to be viable(which is usually around 28 weeks) before it is counted as a murder.

And why wouldn't it be 30+ counted of attempted pre-meditated murder?

If there is malice a forethought.....wouldn't everyone -both those murdered and those attempted....be pre-meditated?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline jinxmchue

They often don't bother with lesser charges when there are major charges.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

I was wondering why it wasn't 14 counts of murder also.

Does it have to do with Texas law?

I don't think all states rule the same on the unborn. I think some rule that it has to be viable(which is usually around 28 weeks) before it is counted as a murder.

And why wouldn't it be 30+ counted of attempted pre-meditated murder?

If there is malice a forethought.....wouldn't everyone -both those murdered and those attempted....be pre-meditated?

I'm no attorney, but I think that since the atrocities occurred on federal land, to wit a military installation, federal law applies. Texas law would not.

I would think they can always add to the list of charges, but removing those charges would be more problematical from both a legal and political perspective.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
I'm no attorney, but I think that since the atrocities occurred on federal land, to wit a military installation, federal law applies. Texas law would not.

I would think they can always add to the list of charges, but removing those charges would be more problematical from both a legal and political perspective.

Yup...it happened on a Federal Installation...feds trump state on this one.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator

According to what I heard some discussing yesterday on Fox....it could go with several different "laws".

Military ...obviously because it was on a military installation.

Federal....because the military is part of the federal government.

Texas...because it occured on Texas land.

The commentators said that because the military hadn't had a death penalty execution since 1960-something....they may not be the best equipped for trying a death penalty case, because it was doubtful that there were any JAG lawyers with any death penalty trial experience, unless they had been prosecuters before entering the military.

They said Federal may work....but that because Texas had a good track record with death penalty cases and follow through with execution....that Texas prosecuters may be the best option.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Why not treason?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

According to what I heard some discussing yesterday on Fox....it could go with several different "laws".

Military ...obviously because it was on a military installation.

Federal....because the military is part of the federal government.

Texas...because it occured on Texas land.

The commentators said that because the military hadn't had a death penalty execution since 1960-something....they may not be the best equipped for trying a death penalty case, because it was doubtful that there were any JAG lawyers with any death penalty trial experience, unless they had been prosecuters before entering the military.

They said Federal may work....but that because Texas had a good track record with death penalty cases and follow through with execution....that Texas prosecuters may be the best option.

Well, arrangements and deals are made all the time. Should the feds determine that their best chance of slippin' ol' Hasan the ol' needle would be to prosecute a la Texas, then they'll make those arrangements.

The encouraging thing about the Fox report is that it seems that the prosecution is doing its very best to make sure this POS scum draws his last breath in the very near future.

It didn't take long to rid the planet of Timothy McVeigh. A crime as heinous as this one deserves the same kind of attention-to-detail with an eye on the clock.

Every minute that Hasan breathes is an insult to those in uniform.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
I had heard earlier in the week, that doctors were concerned that some of the severely injured may not survive.

That could also be why they aren't filing on the injured yet....

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
You know what I don't get?  Why would anyone represent him?  I mean, isn't his atty ex-JAG?  I thought I heard that somewhere. I dunno.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chump

Why not treason?

Because the precedent, apparently, follows:

In Ex Parte Bollman (1807), the Supreme Court ruled that "there must be an actual assembling of men, for the treasonable purpose, to constitute a levying of war".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_Parte_Bollman
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Because the precedent, apparently, follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_Parte_Bollman

I wonder if his repeated contacts with known and wanted jihadists would count?

Does internet traffic or other means of correspond constitute "an actual assembling of men"? IOW: does technology bring with it technicalities?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chump

I wonder if his repeated contacts with known and wanted jihadists would count?

Does internet traffic or other means of correspond constitute "an actual assembling of men"? IOW: does technology bring with it technicalities?

It raises that question, certainly.  We don't know all the evidence they have, of course, but if they have actual correspondence wherein he discusses his murderous plans, any charges that don't include treason would be an insult to the country and Constitution, in my opinion.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
You know what I don't get?  Why would anyone represent him?  I mean, isn't his atty ex-JAG?  I thought I heard that somewhere. I dunno.

Because he is entitled to representation...."if he can not afford legal representation....one shall be appointed for him".....just like any other animal.

One of the things I have been wondering....if anyone has seen the clips of his apartment....this guy was making $100,000+ a year. Medical care provided, wore uniforms, housing allowance?....where was all his money going?
His apartment was just a one or two br, pretty sparsely decorated, he wasn't supporting his parents as they are dead....and he only has a brother or two.

Fox just announced before going to GW's speech in Dallas.....that investigators are looking into his banking. Appears some has been going to Pakistan.

Yeah....right...this guy is not a terrorist.... :bs:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

It didn't take long to rid the planet of Timothy McVeigh. A crime as heinous as this one deserves the same kind of attention-to-detail with an eye on the clock.

Unfortunately McVeigh instructed his lawyers to forgo his appeals.......or he would likely still be with us......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Unfortunately McVeigh instructed his lawyers to forgo his appeals.......or he would likely still be with us......

doc

I had forgotten that little detail, doc. Damn. Apart from getting some intel out of this POS, why couldn't this coward have turned the gun on himself and saved us the trouble of dirtying a needle?

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
I had forgotten that little detail, doc. Damn. Apart from getting some intel out of this POS, why couldn't this coward have turned the gun on himself and saved us the trouble of dirtying a needle?

That may have been his plan ....but was taken down before he could perform his full intentions.

Offline 5412

\
Hi,

Why not just sentence him to life and turn him loose in the recreation area at Leavenworth.  He shot soldiers, my guess is he would likely slip on a banana peel or something and land right on his head......or maybe he would be in the weight room and a bar with 900# would accidentally fall on him.  Somehow those things have a way of working themselves out. 

One way or another he would have to be totally isolated and would cost the taxpayers a ton of money if he is allowed to live.

One thing I do not want to happen is for BO to wimp out out of fear of reprisal.

regards,

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
I hope they let him live and suffer for a long long time
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I hope they let him live and suffer for a long long time

Nope, sorry. This maniac needs to be put down like the scum-sucking dog he is.

He's stealing our Soldier's air. And he's consuming resources. The only thing I want my tax money to go to in dealing with this POS is to provide the materials for his execution, cremation, and to scatter his ashes in an undisclosed location.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Nope, sorry. This maniac needs to be put down like the scum-sucking dog he is.

He's stealing our Soldier's air. And he's consuming resources. The only thing I want my tax money to go to in dealing with this POS is to provide the materials for his execution, cremation, and to scatter his ashes in an undisclosed location.

A-GREED.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
I think he needs to suffer for a while why give him what he wants I think he should be made to suffer a little here and a little here till he just kills himself.
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I think he needs to suffer for a while why give him what he wants I think he should be made to suffer a little here and a little here till he just kills himself.

While it's theoretically possible to kill oneself in prison, chances are he'd be on a death watch. And he'd be isolated from the general population.

All of those "special treatments" that he'd get just because he's the POS he is consumes resources. He's not worth it.

Like the vermin he is, he needs to be eradicated.

I just don't give a good ******* about his "suffering" or lack of it. I want him GONE and out of this world. He can diddle his virgins in the next life. Or not.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
The question about the lesser charges: After being on a trial this past spring, usually they are on the list of charges but as "secondary" charges. In the rape trial we had the choice of lesser and greater charges. We choose all the greater ones because of the stiffer penalties. It comes down to a matter of wether or not the penalty fits the act.
In this instance, it might be the same?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.