Author Topic: Which "God" is the Right One (Thread title changed by moderator)  (Read 11837 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: this post may get me baned but I feel things must be said
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 08:02:26 PM »
Two points:  first, that's b.s. when it comes to the US (unsupported assertion against unsupported assertion, except that I have the Constitution and 200 years of US cultural tradition on my side, so I win the presumption of correctness) - prove that the "suppression" of all Muslims in the US is so powerful that there is nary a peep of opposition to even the most inhumane activities carried out in the name of Islam.  Second, so what?  That sorry pathetic excuse didn't get any of the "Good Germans" off the hook, and it doesn't carry any water for any "Good Muslim" either.

Whoa....slow down and take a chill pill.........The argument about the Constitution, and cultural tradition of the US is specious, and has little to do with how Muslim populations actually live and function in western democracies.  I was discussing (from first hand knowledge) how Islamic populations react with one another......and the reasons for their relative silence about extremism.

Muslim communities in the US interact with one another in the exact same manner that they do in an Islamic country......they go to the same mosques, attend the same celebrations, and live in close proximity to each other (for the most part).

I'm not excusing their behavior, just attempting to explain why the behave as they do.  This is a discussion, we are not in a debating contest........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Oceander

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 08:05:13 PM »
Whoa....slow down and take a chill pill.........The argument about the Constitution, and cultural tradition of the US is specious, and has little to do with how Muslim populations actually live and function in western democracies.  I was discussing (from first hand knowledge) how Islamic populations react with one another......and the reasons for their relative silence about extremism.

Muslim communities in the US interact with one another in the exact same manner that they do in an Islamic country......they go to the same mosques, attend the same celebrations, and live in close proximity to each other (for the most part).

I'm not excusing their behavior, just attempting to explain why the behave as they do.  This is a discussion, we are not in a debating contest........

doc

There is no "explanation" for their behaviour other than (a) cowardice, or (b) hatred of non-muslims.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 08:25:52 PM »
Note to self:  Do not denigrate any religions in the Religious Matters forum.

Offline txted

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 08:26:03 PM »
Are you seriously implying that Christians have been silent about such murderers?

I did say "a Christians". I did not say "all Christians". Do you really believe there are no Christian sympathizers with abortion clinic bombers. They may not be the silent majority, but they are silent. I've heard the comment made that "a few lives lost to insure the survival of many unborn babies may be worth the price". I don't agree with the sentiment, but it is out there.

txted

Offline Chris_

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 08:33:57 PM »
There is no "explanation" for their behaviour other than (a) cowardice, or (b) hatred of non-muslims.

Actually there is, if you are willing to learn it.......I repeat, I am not making excuses for Islam, hell, I don't much like the religion, and have studied the 'Quran a bit......it is sorely in need of both a reformation, and a ecumenical hierarchy, both of which would improve the faith immensely, unify it, and make it far more understandable to non-muslims.  From a scriptural perspective, with the exception of the Sura, it is nearly identical to Judaism........

Unfortunately that is unlikely to happen as the faith currently exists, as they are still fighting between themselves as to which sect's leaders are or are not direct descendants of the prophet.

The majority of Muslims are not cowards........we have many in our own military services........and agree with or or not, it takes a bit of dedication to strap several kilos of Semtex around your waist, and die for the cause.......

Based on my time in Saudi, most Muslims don't hate westerners either........they are suspicious of them, sometimes for good reason, and more importantly, most Muslims are ignorant of the world outside of their small sphere of exposure.  As a group, education, (other than religious) is at best a low priority, and at worst, frowned upon within Islam........it is therefore not difficult to understand why they react as they do.  Doesn't make it right from our perspective, but they are what they are.........

Were you to happen upon a remote Amazon tribe, their reaction to a westerner would be similiar.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 08:38:10 PM »
Note to self:  Do not denigrate any religions in the Religious Matters forum.

It's OK to denigrate religions, even here........I'm guilty of that myself.......but my initial point is/was, we would be better served to attempt a better understanding of a religion before we denigrate it.......I think we all know how it feels for someone to denigrate ours.......

All religions are not necessarily "equal" (except in the eyes of liberals)........however to those that practice them, they are......

YMMV

doc

On Edit: Expect a modification of the forum rules, as soon as I can revise them, and discuss those changes with the Admins.....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:53:01 PM by TVDOC »

Offline Chris_

Re: Which "God" is the Right One (Thread title changed by moderator)
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 08:49:53 PM »
Since this the original poster has not returned to the discussion since the OP.......I have changed the title for purposes of clarity........

doc

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »
Christianity makes me a full heir in the grace of life...and puts the burden for a happy marriage upon my husband.  I am only ordered to respect and submit to him.  He is ordered to love me as Christ loved the church.  This is not only a way better deal than was normal 2000 years ago, it's a way better deal than Islam offers...and it's actually a way better deal than our "new, enlightened marriages."  In fact, our "new, enlightened marriage advisors" are finally coming around to Biblical truth and teaching wives to treat their husbands with respect, and husbands to treat their wives with love for the best possible relationship for both.

:clap: :clap:

I agree.  The Bible, and specifically the new covenant established by Jesus Christ (Christianity), gives women more value and honor than any civil gov't on earth ever has or ever will.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 09:04:54 PM »
I agree. I think that is what bothers me about the Islamic apologists today. They claim to be loving, caring adherents of Islam. Their silence on the subject of Jihad tells me as much as a Christians silence on abortion clinic bombers. Both are equally wrong and should be equally condemned by everyone.

txted

I would agree with you, except there are two definitions of "Jihad" within Islam.......the first is literally defined as "internal quest for personal truth and redemption", and the second is "holy war"......

It therefore depends on who you are takling to, and in what context, in order to ascertain the motive of any particular Muslim.......unless he/she is pointing a rifle at you.......then its pretty clear.

doc

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »
I would agree with you, except there are two definitions of "Jihad" within Islam.......the first is literally defined as "internal quest for personal truth and redemption", and the second is "holy war"......

It therefore depends on who you are takling to, and in what context, in order to ascertain the motive of any particular Muslim.......unless he/she is pointing a rifle at you.......then its pretty clear.

doc

perhaps three. Jihad also means "a struggle". Be it a struggle with one's self, another tribe or a religion.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 09:24:24 PM »
perhaps three. Jihad also means "a struggle". Be it a struggle with one's self, another tribe or a religion.

That is the correct literal translation from Arabic.......I'm told.

doc

Offline SVPete

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 09:34:56 PM »
Do you really believe there are no Christian sympathizers with abortion clinic bombers.
I assume there are such sympathizers, silent and vocal, who claim to be Christians. I'm rather tired of being tarred with them and hoped this wasn't such an instance (and am glad that it isn't).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline txted

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 10:57:04 PM »

doc

Yep, I should have been more specific and said "holy jihad". I think most people who hear or read the term jihad assume the meaning of holy jihad. I think the concept of "the struggle" is inclusive with "holy jihad". I may be wrong.

txted

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 10:25:19 AM »
Which God is the right one, assumes there is a wrong one.

So we can begin our search crossing off our list ay proclamation that says all ways are the right way.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 06:15:20 PM »
Well, there is only God, so the question of which "god" is the right "god" is usually an attempt by our unconscious system of the denial of God to create a separation from God, which is impossible.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 07:10:44 PM »
All religions are man's invention. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Pagan are all derivatives of each other. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have many Pagan elements, which prevail to this very day. Also, religion does not need a God or Gods. Global Warming and Atheism is a religion. One is having fate in that Global Warming exists and God or Gods does not exist.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 09:44:22 AM »
That is the correct literal translation from Arabic.......I'm told.

doc

Doc, I was raised Baha'i , This means I can never go into a Muslim controlled country were I to wish to do so.

I cannot imagine what would happen to me on being arrested in one of those hell holes.

Last count there were 22 woman in prison waiting to be executed for their belief and in the last 5 years at least 2 men were dispatched.