Author Topic: At Least 7 Reportedly Dead, 12 Others Hurt in Shooting at Army Base in Fort Hood  (Read 41106 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/78425.html

Details of the events were sketchy, but officials said the shooting involved two men with M-16 rifles and began about 1:30 p.m. Central time at Howze Theater on the base, then moved to the sports complex, where the graduation ceremony honroing soldiers who had obtained degrees from extension schools was scheduled to begin at 2 p.m

?? Does that mean anything or nothing yet? Pardon my ignorence.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Aaaaargh.

Picking nits here, in a really serious subject, but it's a pet peeve of mine:

ATTENTION ON DECK - especially to the asshat media

Be it known that the U.S. Army refers to its installations as posts. Exceptions do occur in foreign lands, but in the continental US, Army installations are posts.

U.S. Marines, U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Air Force refer to their installations as bases.

That is all.

I thought I was the only one anal about that fact :heart:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lady Texan

• Probationary (Probie)
This is right up the road (in Texas vernacular) from where I live.....about 75 miles and the report we are getting on our local radio coverage is that there were THREE people.  The radio news people have been dancing around it without saying actually it IS a terrorist attack of some kind but it DOES seem strange if THREE men were involved. You sadly have deranged people from time to time going on killing sprees and MAYBE there might be two people involved - although it isn't likely. But THREE deranged people acting together?

My question is...If they ARE terrorists of some kind. How in the name of all that is holy did they manage to get on a MILITARY BASE? The radio report said they were in military fatigues.

I also learned something I did not know. Did you know that Ft. Hood is THE largest military installation in the WORLD? Must admit I did not realize that.

Prayers for all the victims and their families.  
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 03:28:33 PM by Lady Texan »

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Well, there is no place in America with fewer people per capita packing, than a military installation.  Cops only.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/78425.html

?? Does that mean anything or nothing yet? Pardon my ignorence.

No. It's fairly easy to obtain an AR-15. A lot of details have been left out. Were they firing full auto? Burst? Was it an AR-15 or a Carb-15 (retractable or fixed stock)?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
There was a graduation ceremony today, so a lot of people would have been coming and going. That makes it look planned.

Fort Hood spokeswoman: 1 shooter in custody, at least 2 gunmen believed involved in attack.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2009/11/05/one_shooter_in_custody_associa.html

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
up to 30 are injured.

Fox clarified some time ago that the Army has "posts"...the rest of the military has "bases"....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline ReardenSteel

No. It's fairly easy to obtain an AR-15. A lot of details have been left out. Were they firing full auto? Burst? Was it an AR-15 or a Carb-15 (retractable or fixed stock)?

Thank you sir. I know nothing more gunwise, only what was at the link.

I did here from my local FOX station that the FBI has ruled out terrorism. (reported by Cavuto when FOX News broke into the network... I don't have cable)

Hannity just said, the POTUS will speak shortly.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Cavuto just said that the death toll is now nine.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Aaaaargh.

Picking nits here, in a really serious subject, but it's a pet peeve of mine:

ATTENTION ON DECK - especially to the asshat media

Be it known that the U.S. Army refers to its installations as posts. Exceptions do occur in foreign lands, but in the continental US, Army installations are posts.

U.S. Marines, U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Air Force refer to their installations as bases.

That is all.

:thatsright:  Good God!  Was that me?  It was me.  And I KNOW BETTER!!!!  I am going to blame it on a frantic post, while talking on the phone.  OMG.  Mea Culpa.   :bow: 

That pisses me off, and I did it.  (I also have the same issue about half-staff/half-mast.)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Some regular updates here  http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/199481.php
UPDATE: Tom Elia reporting that "shooting started at the House Theater and then moved to an athletic complex."

Offline ReardenSteel

Twitter link of all things but it's NBC's Chuck Todd...

More from NBC's Pete Williams: US official says early reports are the man in custody is in the military, late 30s, with officer rank.
http://twitter.com/chucktodd/statuses/5460581439

- Ayn Rand

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
A LTG from Hood is now saying 12 dead, one shooter dead, two other suspects in custody (on FNC).

The general went on to say that all of the suspects were/are soldiers.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
I spent 4+ years at Hood. This is sad.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
up to 30 are injured.

Fox clarified some time ago that the Army has "posts"...the rest of the military has "bases"....

Thanks, deb. At least Fox is paying attention.

*grumble.....*
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
12 KIA  31 WIA.  One shooter dead...two others in custody.

Just damn.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
12 KIA  31 WIA.  One shooter dead...two others in custody.

Just damn.

Prayers Up.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
A senior administration official told NBC News analyst Roger Cressey that the suspect who was in custody was an Army major with an Arabic-sounding name. The official said the shootings could have been a criminal matter rather than a terrorism-related attack and that there was no intelligence to suggest a plot against Fort Hood.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33678801/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
al-Qaeda has been trying for years to infiltrate operatives into the armed services.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
The suspected gunman was identified as Major Malik Nadal Hasan. He was killed and two other suspects have been apprehended, Lt. Robert W. Cone said.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/soldiers-killed-fort-hood-shooting/story?id=9007938

Offline ReardenSteel

Drudge names shooter
Shooter: Major Malik Nadal Hasan...

However I checked link and did not see the name there...
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/soldiers-killed-fort-hood-shooting/story?id=9007938

However, the ABC link from Drudge is a page with a dozen or more sub links.

On edit:

It was there. It's just that all that was there was a name. (for now)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:25:41 PM by ReardenSteel »

- Ayn Rand

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Why did FBI rule out terrorism so quickly?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Why did FBI rule out terrorism so quickly?

It's terrorism whether it's domestic or foreign.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wayne

12 dead now..