Author Topic: The time travel fund  (Read 2926 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
The time travel fund
« on: March 03, 2008, 12:58:24 PM »
Q: How does this work?
A: Current scientific theory states that Time Travel may be possible, however the technology is a long way off, perhaps hundreds of years in the future. Now, assume it does become possible in say, 500 years. As with any technology, Time Travel will get less expensive as time goes on. Just as the price of a VCR has dropped to less than $70 from the several hundred dollars it cost just ten years ago, Time Travel, once it becomes feasible, will initially be very expensive yet it will become more and more economical as time goes by.

Q: How?
A: We establish a fund in current time. You make a small contribution to the fund, and in a few hundred years that small amount grows to a very large amount. From that fund, moneys will be taken and used to retrieve you, perhaps seconds after you join, perhaps even moments before your recorded death, perhaps some other point in your lifetime. Further, the fund may even pay to have you "rejuvenated" medically (assuming this is scientifically possible at that time,) and support you financially for a number of years. (Note: Retrieving you just before the moment of death is just one possible scenario, but one that would avoid any Star Trek(TM) type paradoxes. There are an unlimited number of other possibilities, and we do not know what they will do, we can only make reasonably informed guesses.) 

Q: How much will this cost me?
A: Our fee is only $10, of which a percentage is placed into the fund, to grow and earn interest, and the rest is used to pay for overhead in running the website, covering legal fees, paying for your certificate, and maintaining the database of members. 

Q: Only ten dollars? How is that going to get me a ride into the future?
A: Compound interest. As long as the interest earned out paces inflation and taxes, the money will eventually build to where the costs of retrieving, rejuvenating and supporting you are fully covered.
For example, if you make a one-time only deposit of just a single dollar, at only 5% interest compounded yearly, in five hundred years that single dollar will grow to $39,323,261,827.22 (That's 39 BILLION with a "B" dollars!) Please note that we hope to earn 5% interest above taxes and inflation, which is very possible, even in today's economy (Tax lien certificates, for example, return 16% or better.) If we make 5% above taxes and inflation, then it would be like having $39 billion in today's money. 

...more...

http://www.timetravelfund.com/

Yes people, we are just $10 away from time travel.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Re: The time travel fund
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:43:02 PM »

Finally!  A speculative venture scam I can believe in!
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:54:27 AM »

Finally!  A speculative venture scam I can believe in!

Scam? You cynic, how could this fail? See you in 2150.  :-)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:24:48 AM »
A: Current scientific theory states that Time Travel may be possible, however the technology is a long way off, perhaps hundreds of years in the future. Now, assume it does become possible in say, 500 years. As with any technology, Time Travel will get less expensive as time goes on. Just as the price of a VCR has dropped to less than $70 from the several hundred dollars it cost just ten years ago, Time Travel, once it becomes feasible, will initially be very expensive yet it will become more and more economical as time goes by.

If time travel ever was to become available in the future,how come no one from then has brought that technology back so we could have it now?

Or think of it this way,if I could go back in time I would be looking to see family long dead,historical figures,perhaps collect some items that I know are valuable today but worth nothing out of the ordinary then...etc.
Why would this not be happening to us now from our futures?

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 06:39:34 AM »

If time travel ever was to become available in the future,how come no one from then has brought that technology back so we could have it now?

Or think of it this way,if I could go back in time I would be looking to see family long dead,historical figures,perhaps collect some items that I know are valuable today but worth nothing out of the ordinary then...etc.
Apparently that is because time machines can only go back as far as the time they were first invented, so we will never be able to get back to anytime before now at the earliest. This is not my theory so please don't ask me to explain further!  :-)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 06:43:25 AM »

Apparently that is because time machines can only go back as far as the time they were first invented, so we will never be able to get back to anytime before now at the earliest. This is not my theory so please don't ask me to explain further!  :-)
I know. :-)

I just like to poke fun at  :mental: stuff like this.