Author Topic: Jesus was a Democrat  (Read 4998 times)

Offline VivisMom

Jesus was a Democrat
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:24:55 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2951638

There is so much here to refute that I don't even know where to begin.

I think this is an issue worth addressing. Conservatives have hijacked and corrupted religion, specifically Christianity. But, would Jesus support their positions? Doubt it.

I've written a piece for my website, so please, check it out! Feel free to comment on any and all posts. Thank you

Jesus was a Democrat. That’s the secret that the Religious Right doesn’t want you to know. Jesus preached fairness, tolerance, peace and responsibility, all of which are Democratic principles. Republicans have continuously acted in the name of war, greed, fear and hatred, none of which are supported by the teachings of Jesus.

Here are some of the tenants of the Democratic Party: An honest, open and accountable government, fair trade and corporate responsibility, government responsibility to all its citizens, separation of church and state, and equal opportunity and equal justice for all. Democrats believe that the government exists for the benefit of all and that the government should adopt policies that enable all people to succeed. Democrats also believe that war should be used as a last resort, and only to protect America.

So what does the Bible teach us about these principles?

Honest, open and accountable government: Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops. (Luke 12:2-3)

Fair trade and corporate responsibility: Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal. ... For where you treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Matt. 6: 19, 21) 

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. (Matt. 6:24);
Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. (Luke 12:15).

Government aid to all I was hungred and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in. Naked and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.... Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (Matt. 25:35-40)
If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. (Matt. 19:21);
Verily, I say unto you, that a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. ... It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. (Matt. 19-23).

Separation of church and state: Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s and unto God the things that are God’s. (Matt. 22-21)

Equal opportunity and justice: Ye have heard that it hath it said, thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you and pray for them that despitefully use you and persecute you. (Matt. 5: 43-44);
Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy. (Matt. 5: 7)

War: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. (Matt. 5: 9)

So, how can the right be religious? One idea is that the leaders of the right focus on personal behavior instead of social behaviors, sin versus injustice. Of course, when you look at the personal behavior of Republicans, sins abound. Extortion, money laundering, drugs and sex are all scandals that have tainted Republican leaders (check out http://www.republicansexoffenders.com / for continuously updated examples). A better argument is that the conservative leaders know that they can mobilize the “single issue” voters. The GOP rails against progressive positions on gay rights, gun rights, and abortion in order to attract Christian fundamentalists. They manipulate the teachings of Jesus for the sole purpose gaining votes.

What I don’t understand is how people could be so willing to ignore the book that they live by. I don’t see how people can cast aside the very phrases that they use to shape their existence. And I certainly can’t excuse the fact that they are willing to forgive those leaders who claim to live by the Bible but are then caught doing just the opposite.

Maybe we should challenge the leaders of the religious right to live by the teachings of Jesus. We should challenge them to tolerate, help and pay their taxes. I’ll tell you one thing, if this country were run by the teachings of Jesus, it would be a very liberal nation.

So, I’ll leave you with one last teaching, and maybe it is the one that the religious right should be most concerned about:

Hypocrisy: Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cumin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy and faith, these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel ;Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.... ;Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites ... ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity. (Matt. 23: 23-28).

Check out my website for more.

I love how they seem to forget that Jesus would have been against two of their biggest issues: abortion and gay marriage. Maybe they'd like to explain that one to me.  :mental:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: Jesus was a Democrat
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:27:00 AM »
 :thatsright: Oh FFS not this crap again.

Why do the DUmmies keep trying to perpetuate this myth?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:30:41 AM »
:thatsright: Oh FFS not this crap again.

Why do the DUmmies keep trying to perpetuate this myth?

Nowhere did Jesus say that His works should be done at the point of a gun.  Jesus spoke to people's hearts -- remember "render unto Ceasar"?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:31:54 AM »
Nowhere did Jesus say that His works should be done at the point of a gun.  Jesus spoke to people's hearts -- remember "render unto Ceasar"?

Yes and I seem to remember Him running the tax collectors form the temple too.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:34:49 AM »

Yes and I seem to remember Him running the tax collectors form the temple too.

Good point.

What could possible be more anti-democrat than being against TAXES? 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
The problem DUmmies have when discussing Jesus is that they deny the spiritual reason Jesus was here,that to offer Himself as the payment of the penalty for our sins.

They regard Him as a man and teacher which is contrary to how the Bible presents Him and how He presented Himself.

By corrupting His mission they corrupt Him as well.
It is certainly within anybodies right to not believe the spiritual aspect of Jesus but they then do not have the right to claim He had any particular bearing on society at that point.

You cannot deny His own words and then try to use them against someone.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 08:19:09 AM »
Who do you think does more, personally and quietly, for charity? Democrats or Republicans? Who does more personally and quietly, for the "least of my brothers"?

I'm thinking Republicans.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 08:46:41 AM »
Who do you think does more, personally and quietly, for charity? Democrats or Republicans? Who does more personally and quietly, for the "least of my brothers"?

I'm thinking Republicans.

Republicans give far more to charity than Democrats.  And I give quite a bit to causes that I care about, including the local Midnight Mission.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 09:00:47 AM »
Ask Jesus what he thinks about abortion and then get back to me DUmmy..... :mental:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 09:21:18 AM »
Ask Jesus what he thinks about abortion and then get back to me DUmmy..... :mental:

Yeah... I don't know how it would square up against "Suffer the little children. . ." thing.

Christ would probably find plenty to be pissed off at in BOTH parties.

*TKay*

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 09:37:52 AM »
Jesus is a Democrat.  How can any of you intolerant, greedy, gay bashing, racist, war mongering, so-called religious right deny this.  Look deep into your hearts and you will know this to be true.  Give me your best argument, and I'll show you irrefutable proof.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
The republican party is far from perfect, but the democrat party has almost everything wrong.  

The whole screed was completely moronic, but this one takes the cake, I think.
 Fair trade and corporate responsibility: Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal. ... For where you treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Matt. 6: 19, 21)

Making a point verse by verse with no regard for context is bad enough, though a common way to bend the Bible to our will.  But when you have to censor part of the verses you're quoting in order to make your point, you've gone beyond bending.

Matthew 6: 19 - 21 19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
20 "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;
21 for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 09:40:21 AM »
The republican party is far from perfect, but the democrat party has almost everything wrong. 

Making a point verse by verse with no regard for context is bad enough, though a common way to bend the Bible to our will.  But when you have to censor part of the verses you're quoting in order to make your point, you've gone beyond bending.

Matthew 6: 19 - 21 19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
20 "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;

Quote mining the Bible is really, really low.  Those folks have no morals at all.

Thanks for taking the time to get it right and exposing them.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 09:50:20 AM »
Jesus is a Democrat.  How can any of you intolerant, greedy, gay bashing, racist, war mongering, so-called religious right deny this.  Look deep into your hearts and you will know this to be true.  Give me your best argument, and I'll show you irrefutable proof.

:rotf:

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 09:58:26 AM »

Making a point verse by verse with no regard for context is bad enough, though a common way to bend the Bible to our will.  But when you have to censor part of the verses you're quoting in order to make your point, you've gone beyond bending.

Quote mining the Bible is really, really low.  Those folks have no morals at all.

Thanks for taking the time to get it right and exposing them.

Someone who tries to bend Jesus' words either right or left has to quote-mine heavily.  He was and is all about personal relationships.  Aside from the quote about rendering up to Ceasar, I can't recall anything even remotely political.  (Of course, I'm far from an expert yet...still learning.  :-))

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 10:03:25 AM »

You think that's funny?  He says he a Democrat.  How can you argue with what he said?

He's even running as a Democrat.

I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 10:06:49 AM »

You think that's funny?

That was the best imitation of TNO I've ever seen by a Conservative.

He says he a Democrat.  How can you argue with what he said?

And you'll be the scourge of the earth if you dare to question him too.

He's gonna save the world /DU mode

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »
Stupid DUmmies. Jesus never came close to being a Democrat. Just because your Drug addled minds say its so doesn't make it the truth. Jesus was his own manand he was following the path set before him. Its one I'm sure your familar with its in the very same Bible you use to bash people over the head with and refuse to follow.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 11:10:35 AM »

You think that's funny?

He says he a Democrat.  How can you argue with what he said?

He's gonna change the world /DU mode

fixed

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 11:11:56 AM »

You think that's funny?

He says he a Democrat.  How can you argue with what he said?

Because he gives us hope for the future, which it is not in the past and is hopeful.  Hopeful hope is always hopeful.  And in the future.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 11:14:49 AM »

Someone who tries to bend Jesus' words either right or left has to quote-mine heavily.  He was and is all about personal relationships.  Aside from the quote about rendering up to Ceasar, I can't recall anything even remotely political.  (Of course, I'm far from an expert yet...still learning.  :-))

Essentially, someone tried to set up Jesus by asking whether taxes should be paid.  Jesus' response was "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s."  It was a brilliant response, since it defines that people have to live in a secular world of laws and rules but that their hearts and souls should live in God's world (my interpretation).

Online jukin

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »
The only thing in common with democrats is that he came back from the dead. Jesus only came back once, democrats come back from the dead evey election.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 03:00:30 PM »

You think that's funny?

He says he a Democrat.  How can you argue with what he said?

Because he gives us hope for the future, which it is not in the past and is hopeful.  Hopeful hope is always hopeful.  And in the future.

Well, like we say down here.....
They can hope in one hand.....

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »
You guys are getting worked up over nothing. margotb822 is talking about Jesus Ramirez, the guy who used to mow her lawn every Tuesday until La Migra picked him up
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 09:24:54 PM »
The only thing in common with democrats is that he came back from the dead. Jesus only came back once, democrats come back from the dead evey election.