Author Topic: With Public Option; can employers now dump employee health care ?  (Read 2007 times)

Offline CC27

FarPoint  Donating Member  (167 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Oct-30-09 09:02 AM
Original message
With Public Option; can employers now dump employee health care ?

This issue has been a talking point I can not yet defend when talking to republican co-workers. So, does anyone know if employers can just end health care benefits to save the company money as Public Option will be a choice for employees.

:popcorn:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6888973

Offline bkg

Re: With Public Option; can employers now dump employee health care ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 09:39:22 AM »

takes 3 minutes to read the summary of HR3200 to figure this out. Libs spend too much time listening to gov't talking point and not researching the facts. My sister is one of them.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »
takes 3 minutes to read the summary of HR3200 to figure this out. Libs spend too much time listening to gov't talking point and not researching the facts. My sister is one of them.

I don't think it would matter if you could translate the actual language of the actual bill into words of one syllable and put it before them. They would close their eyes and put their fingers in their ears. They WANT to believe. I just can't figure out WHY they want to believe so badly.

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »
I don't think it would matter if you could translate the actual language of the actual bill into words of one syllable and put it before them. They would close their eyes and put their fingers in their ears. They WANT to believe. I just can't figure out WHY they want to believe so badly.

They are convinced that it is the first step to freeing them from productive society.
No need for a job for insurance benefit,extra money for them (so they think) and a blank check to constant medical visits until they are declared "disabled" and eligible for a complete life on the dole.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:40:18 AM »
They are convinced that it is the first step to freeing them from productive society.
No need for a job for insurance benefit,extra money for them (so they think) and a blank check to constant medical visits until they are declared "disabled" and eligible for a complete life on the dole.

Good point and a huge one, how could I miss that. Everything they want is about getting a free ride, at the expense of their liberty (if they only recognised it. I wonder if they'd care if they did?)

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 10:42:14 AM »
YES DUmmie. Companies will dump their biggest liabilities into the government swamp in a heartbeat. So will state and local governments. All of them will recieve the base minimum coverage as directed by Nanny Govt, those with good private plans punished until they surrender.

That is all.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 10:46:11 AM »
YES DUmmie. Companies will dump their biggest liabilities into the government swamp in a heartbeat. So will state and local governments. All of them will recieve the base minimum coverage as directed by Nanny Govt, those with good private plans punished until they surrender.

That is all.

That is exactly the point. Rather than a gain for themselves and their families, they are far more interested in dragging those of us who are comfortable down to their level.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 10:47:29 AM »
That is exactly the point. Rather than a gain for themselves and their families, they are far more interested in dragging those of us who are comfortable down to their level.

It's the marxist way.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 10:50:50 AM »
That thread was ignored to death.

Their little vacuum tube minds must not be able to process new data.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 10:55:15 AM »
That thread was ignored to death.

Their little vacuum tube minds must not be able to process new data.

A few of them upgraded to X86 chips though...

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 10:55:58 AM »
They are so blind. Jobs will die, taxes will go up. But dammit!!!! They will have free healthcare!!!!!!!! :whatever:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 11:09:42 AM »
They are so blind. Jobs will die, taxes will go up. But dammit!!!! They will have free healthcare!!!!!!!! :whatever:

Yup--wait in line for the next six months for that MRI to detect that tumor in a lung . . . or a pancreas . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 02:20:10 PM »
Yup--wait in line for the next six months for that MRI to detect that tumor in a lung . . . or a pancreas . . .

If its on your pancreas.......you probably won't make the appointment.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 02:27:08 PM »

That is my friend to a T.  She actually stuck her fingers in here ears while saying "La La La....I can't hear you" once when we were discussing the Obamacare crap.  Seriously, how can you even talk to people like this?  It's one thing to pretend to listen and then ignore what the other person is saying than to overtly do what my friend did.  It made me lose respect for her on the spot. 

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
That is my friend to a T.  She actually stuck her fingers in here ears while saying "La La La....I can't hear you" once when we were discussing the Obamacare crap... 
That's where you say:

"So the public option will incentivize employers to--there's a tarantula on your foot--dump employees in favor of..."

...and make sure you have a real tarantula available to place on her foot.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chump

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 02:57:28 PM »
That is my friend to a T.  She actually stuck her fingers in here ears while saying "La La La....I can't hear you" once when we were discussing the Obamacare crap.  Seriously, how can you even talk to people like this?  It's one thing to pretend to listen and then ignore what the other person is saying than to overtly do what my friend did.  It made me lose respect for her on the spot. 

I thought only children did that. Wow.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »
If its on your pancreas.......you probably won't make the appointment.......
doc
Especially if Freepers get your PayPal frozen.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Especially if Freepers get your PayPal frozen.

Or the checks get lost in the mailroom......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 02:28:12 PM »
We pay 100% of our employees premiums.  That 8% tax is 1/3 of our current cost, but we'd actually be in a lower bracket.  We're due to renew next month and the costs have increased significantly-again, without any major claims.  The employees without kids want to drop this insurance and take a pay raise; the others want to keep what we have even if they have to pay half.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 03:33:40 PM »
We pay 100% of our employees premiums.  That 8% tax is 1/3 of our current cost, but we'd actually be in a lower bracket.  We're due to renew next month and the costs have increased significantly-again, without any major claims.  The employees without kids want to drop this insurance and take a pay raise; the others want to keep what we have even if they have to pay half.

That 8% tax is just a beginning, I heard somewhere there were something like 20 or 30 taxes and stuff in the HCR

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »
That 8% tax is just a beginning, I heard somewhere there were something like 20 or 30 taxes and stuff in the HCR

I have no doubt that when all is said and done, businesses will have no choice but to drop private insurance or pay out the a**.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 03:40:16 PM »
I have no doubt that when all is said and done, businesses will have no choice but to drop private insurance or pay out the a**.

Which is the whole point of this crap

Offline thundley4

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
Which is the whole point of this crap

Single Payer, which gives everyone access to better care the government more control over everyone has been the goal all along.