Author Topic: British Couple Hijacked by Somali Pirates  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

British Couple Hijacked by Somali Pirates
« on: October 27, 2009, 06:07:11 AM »
Somali pirates have seized a British couple and their yacht in the Indian Ocean in the middle of their round-the-world voyage.

Paul and Rachel Chandler, aged 58 and 55, were heading for Tanzania from the Seychelles in their 38-foot yacht, the Lynn Rival, when they sent a distress signal on Friday. They have not been heard from since.

“The British couple are in our hands now. We captured them as they were touring in the Indian Ocean,” a pirate called Hassan told Reuters. He said the two captives were healthy and ransom demands would follow.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569747,00.html
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: British Couple Hijacked by Somali Pirates
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 06:23:51 AM »
I guess the SEALs didn't turn enough of their heads into canoes yet.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:39:42 AM »
I guess the SEALs didn't turn enough of their heads into canoes yet.

So, assuming that the British government isn't paralyzed into hand-wringing inactivity by the numbers of islamofascists in their ranks, SAS gets a crack at them this time.  Oh, goody. :ha: :clap:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:54:40 AM »
So, assuming that the British government isn't paralyzed into hand-wringing inactivity by the numbers of islamofascists in their ranks, SAS gets a crack at them this time.  Oh, goody. :ha: :clap:

Is that a typo, 38 foot Yacht?????

Give me a break, My Dad had a 38 foot Owens and he was dwarfted by some of the fishing boats on the river.  It had a full head and galley and  [2 ] bunks, good size aft, and flying bridge with outriggers.   A Yacht it most certainly was not.

Only the Brits would have the insane idea to take anything that small into Pirate Waters,
If this was a sail boat then even more the risk.  One cannot out run a sea gull with a two stroke auxiliary motor.

For the last 40 years or so, people with the big boats that head for Florida have been armed to the teeth against Cuban Pirates, and others that hijack a pleasure boat, kill the crew and use the boat to run drugs. 

PLEASE---tell me this is a typo.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 01:27:20 PM »
No, it's suprising how many around the world boaters head straight into this area. The Seychelles are a regular stop in the Indian Ocean, but then they all want the short hop to Tanzania. Seems with current conditions, the would opt for a further out, longer jaunt to Kenya. Prevailing winds would probably require a lot of tacking and much longer voyage, but not overly strenuous. Bet it's hot though.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 01:46:11 PM »
Last contact:

Fri 23 Oct 06:41     PLEASE RING SARAH

http://blog.mailasail.com/lynnrival
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:54:31 PM »
No, it's suprising how many around the world boaters head straight into this area. The Seychelles are a regular stop in the Indian Ocean, but then they all want the short hop to Tanzania. Seems with current conditions, the would opt for a further out, longer jaunt to Kenya. Prevailing winds would probably require a lot of tacking and much longer voyage, but not overly strenuous. Bet it's hot though.

I get your drift, [no pun intended]  but this is like putting your wife on the back of a moped and cruising the streets after dark in LA.

I I were to have the money to go around the world, I would go on a cruse line with the JDL aboard.  

Bragging rights are fine and dandy at all the Coast Yacht clubs, good for ones 15 minutes of fame.  But, one will never know or be able to sail into any port to claim fame if they are dead.

No way would I sail with a skipper that sailed into dangerous waters.  

Brings to mind the song about the  Sloop John B----I feel so broke up, I want to go home.

The quality of a good Skipper is to see to the survival of his craft, keep passengers safe and to expect the unexpected. be it rouge wave, Pirates, ice burgs etc.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:49:56 PM »
I get your drift, [no pun intended]  but this is like putting your wife on the back of a moped and cruising the streets after dark in LA.

I I were to have the money to go around the world, I would go on a cruse line with the JDL aboard.  

Bragging rights are fine and dandy at all the Coast Yacht clubs, good for ones 15 minutes of fame.  But, one will never know or be able to sail into any port to claim fame if they are dead.

No way would I sail with a skipper that sailed into dangerous waters.  

Brings to mind the song about the  Sloop John B----I feel so broke up, I want to go home.

The quality of a good Skipper is to see to the survival of his craft, keep passengers safe and to expect the unexpected. be it rouge wave, Pirates, ice burgs etc.

Ma'am, many sailors sail the world simply for the challenge of doing the difficult.  There simply isn't enough challenge involved in sailing the world in 150' motor yacht, so folks test themselves by making the trek in the smallest possible craft that will hold everything they need for the journey.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 11:11:23 PM »
Hey now...I took my 24' bayrider with a self-bailing bilge pump across the gulf stream to the Bahamas....

not! :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 11:27:18 PM »
Hey now...I took my 24' bayrider with a self-bailing bilge pump across the gulf stream to the Bahamas....

not! :-)

I've actually got plans in the works to take my San Juan 21 from California to Hawaii when I get rich and stupid.  :mental:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 03:16:46 AM »
Ma'am, many sailors sail the world simply for the challenge of doing the difficult.  There simply isn't enough challenge involved in sailing the world in 150' motor yacht, so folks test themselves by making the trek in the smallest possible craft that will hold everything they need for the journey.

I understand the challenge of of pitting ones self against nature. however I cannot understand anyone who adds a chance to be killed by pirate's into the mix.

Sort of like wanting to climb Mt. Everest while the Sherpas take pot shots at you.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 12:40:09 PM »
A "Yacht" really refers to a type of rigging, Vesta, and originally referred to a rather small craft admirably suited for smuggling across the English Channel.  Since the end of the Age of Sail it pretty much has become a term for any private craft big enough to make an extended trip.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 05:35:29 AM »
A "Yacht" really refers to a type of rigging, Vesta, and originally referred to a rather small craft admirably suited for smuggling across the English Channel.  Since the end of the Age of Sail it pretty much has become a term for any private craft big enough to make an extended trip.

Thank you Tanker, It would seem that the Pirates mother ship, a scow most likely is called a Yacht in some quarters.

Could be that the huge number of [ what we River Rats with ties going back generations to
fishing and whaling  ] see on the river today that cost $5000 a foot --yup millions of dollars--has jaded me.

I went on a 6 day bare foot cruse on the 95 foot Mary Day, beautiful newer built craft, it took both crew and visitors to raise the huge sails.  We also met up with a much older and bigger sail cruse ship I believe it was called the Wind Chimes that had 3 masts and the sails were one over the other, magnificent.  I don't think there are more then a few of that kind of ship left, first time I have ever see one that was not in movies or paintings.

Big business on the North East Coast, only 3 hours of electricity, all food cooked in and on wood stove's for some reason few get sea sick on sail boats.  We had an all girl crew from Maine Maratine Academy, our Skipper was a graduate.  These young woman climbed the rigging like monkeys barefoot scared me half to death.  If one wants to sail the Maine Coast for a week for a most unusual experience on a Yacht, it  stops off the small inhabited islands off the coast and Bar Harbor, less then 20 people including us on the Mary Day,  this is the way to go.