Author Topic: What's Really Driving the Price of Oil?  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
What's Really Driving the Price of Oil?
« on: March 02, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »
What's Really Driving the Price of Oil?

There are plenty of answers. Some hold the crisis in the Middle East and constantly growing demand in China responsible. Others blame producing countries for keeping the oil spigot half-closed.

"Supply and demand cannot explain the high prices," says Fadel Gheit of Oppenheimer & Co., a leading commodities analyst. Like many in his profession, Gheit believes financial investors are driving up prices. He's reminded of the Internet bubble around the turn of the millennium. According to Gheit, oil is also seeing "excessive speculation" at the moment.

Once upon a time, all that counted in the oil business was production volume and consumption in the industrialized nations. Those days are gone. Oil is now part of every well-structured portfolio -- as was the case, until recently, with those abstract securities meant to enable the investor to secure a slice of the American real-estate boom.

Gheit has been in the business for 30 years. He worked at Mobil Oil and JP Morgan before moving to Oppenheimer. He remembers oil prices of $9 a barrel. In the hearings before the US Congress, he served as a star witness of sorts, attesting to the madness of the speculators. "The traders use every excuse in the book to drive up prices," he says, "it's pure hysteria." On some mornings, when he arrives at his office in Manhattan, London traders have driven up prices by $4 a barrel overnight, perhaps because a pipeline burst somewhere in the world. "I have a degree in engineering," says Gheit. "This isn't heart surgery. It's a plumber's job, child's play." The damaged pipeline was probably repaired even before Gheit found out about it -- but after the traders made their profits.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: What's Really Driving the Price of Oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 06:43:04 AM »
I've got a board I can post this at that would make the libtard's heads explode.  This is gonna be good.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Re: What's Really Driving the Price of Oil?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:45:32 PM »
Lot of things cause oil price to go up. Supply and demand, any world crisis, accident at a refinery, and speculators.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du