Author Topic: Bacon Jam – Your Wildest Dreams Come True!  (Read 4879 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Bacon Jam – Your Wildest Dreams Come True!
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:35:41 AM »
I first heard about this rather bizarre concept from the blogger Morta Di Fame (meaning literally dying to eat, a concept I can wholly understand). She linked to a recipe for Bacon Jam which was originally a product that a company called Skillet Foods makes and sends around the United States. Knowing that I’d have no chance of getting my greedy paws on a jar I simply daydreamed about it and for every day since I saw it, I’d think about it. I’d eat eggs and think “This would go so well with that Bacon Jam” and eat some slices of tomato on sourdough and think “Something is missing, I think it’s bacon jam!” and I became somewhat of a food stalker thinking about it day and night until I got my hands on some double smoked bacon and the rest as they say, is eating history. ... n Original Recipe by Not Quite Nigella

500grams/1 pound smoked bacon (or use regular bacon and liquid smoke)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium brown onion sliced
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Tabasco sauce (according to taste)
1 cup coffee
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
Black pepper to taste
extra water
1. In a non stick pan, fry the bacon in batches until lightly browned and beginning to crisp. Using a pair of scissors cut into 1 inch pieces.

2. Fry the onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat on medium heat until translucent....

See the rest, complete with pictures here  http://www.notquitenigella.com/2009/10/08/bacon-jam-your-wildest-dreams-come-true/

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Re: Bacon Jam – Your Wildest Dreams Come True!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:41:32 PM »
I'm in love................................ :heart:

Baco jam on everything :hyper:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 03:44:36 PM »
How did I miss this???

CH, you might like bacon salt.  You can get it in a regular ole grocery store, near the spices, and then everything can taste like bacon.  I use it all the time. 

baconsalt.com
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:13:10 PM »
I fell for squeeze bacon on April Fools day, I will not be duped again.

wait... bacon?

Offline debk

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 04:26:34 PM »
While the idea of bacon jam has no appeal for me, the recipe looks like it would turn out well for a bacon lover.

Except....I don't understand why the coffee is in it. (I detest coffee...even the smell of it)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:37:31 PM »
While the idea of bacon jam has no appeal for me, the recipe looks like it would turn out well for a bacon lover.

Except....I don't understand why the coffee is in it. (I detest coffee...even the smell of it)
That is a bit strange, I think it is to add some depth to the flavour. Without it it may be a bit cloying (although I don't like maple syrup and would have to substitute that for something else.

Offline debk

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »
That is a bit strange, I think it is to add some depth to the flavour. Without it it may be a bit cloying (although I don't like maple syrup and would have to substitute that for something else.

You could use white Karo syrup. There's only 3T of brown sugar and 1/4c of maple syrup.

Not much sugar for a jam....usually there are several cups.

There also isn't any pectin in it to give it a jam-like consistency....which is probably why the syrup is in it.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 04:45:37 PM »

You could use white Karo syrup. There's only 3T of brown sugar and 1/4c of maple syrup.

Not much sugar for a jam....usually there are several cups.

There also isn't any pectin in it to give it a jam-like consistency....which is probably why the syrup is in it.
I think it will have a consistency more like chutney, the last batch I made was essentially green tomatoes and brown sugar (with a few other ingredients) boiled up in vinegar. Once most of the liquid has boiled off it is thick but doesn't hold together like jam. Delicious though!

Offline debk

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »
I think it will have a consistency more like chutney, the last batch I made was essentially green tomatoes and brown sugar (with a few other ingredients) boiled up in vinegar. Once most of the liquid has boiled off it is thick but doesn't hold together like jam. Delicious though!

That sounds good!

I made a pork loin last week with hot peach and apple chutney on the top. It was lovely! :drool: