Author Topic: Angelina Jolie: The surge is working  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Lauri

Angelina Jolie: The surge is working
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:53:55 AM »
Staying to Help in Iraq
We have finally reached a point where humanitarian assistance, from us and others, can have an impact.

By Angelina Jolie
Thursday, February 28, 2008; 1:15 PM

The request is familiar to American ears: "Bring them home."

But in Iraq, where I've just met with American and Iraqi leaders, the phrase carries a different meaning. It does not refer to the departure of U.S. troops, but to the return of the millions of innocent Iraqis who have been driven out of their homes and, in many cases, out of the country.

In the six months since my previous visit to Iraq with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, this humanitarian crisis has not improved. However, during the last week, the United States, UNHCR and the Iraqi government have begun to work together in new and important ways.

We still don't know exactly how many Iraqis have fled their homes, where they've all gone, or how they're managing to survive. Here is what we do know: More than 2 million people are refugees inside their own country -- without homes, jobs and, to a terrible degree, without medicine, food or clean water. Ethnic cleansing and other acts of unspeakable violence have driven them into a vast and very dangerous no-man's land. Many of the survivors huddle in mosques, in abandoned buildings with no electricity, in tents or in one-room huts made of straw and mud. Fifty-eight percent of these internally displaced people are younger than 12 years old.

An additional 2.5 million Iraqis have sought refuge outside Iraq, mainly in Syria and Jordan. But those host countries have reached their limits. Overwhelmed by the refugees they already have, these countries have essentially closed their borders until the international community provides support.

I'm not a security expert, but it doesn't take one to see that Syria and Jordan are carrying an unsustainable burden. They have been excellent hosts, but we can't expect them to care for millions of poor Iraqis indefinitely and without assistance from the U.S. or others. One-sixth of Jordan's population today is Iraqi refugees. The large burden is already causing tension internally.

The Iraqi families I've met on my trips to the region are proud and resilient. They don't want anything from us other than the chance to return to their homes -- or, where those homes have been bombed to the ground or occupied by squatters, to build new ones and get back to their lives. One thing is certain: It will be quite a while before Iraq is ready to absorb more than 4 million refugees and displaced people. But it is not too early to start working on solutions. And last week, there were signs of progress.

In Baghdad, I spoke with Army Gen. David Petraeus about UNHCR's need for security information and protection for its staff as they re-enter Iraq, and I am pleased that he has offered that support. General Petraeus also told me he would support new efforts to address the humanitarian crisis "to the maximum extent possible" -- which leaves me hopeful that more progress can be made.

UNHCR is certainly committed to that. Last week while in Iraq, High Commissioner António Guterres pledged to increase UNHCR's presence there and to work closely with the Iraqi government, both in assessing the conditions required for return and in providing humanitarian relief.

During my trip I also met with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, who has announced the creation of a new committee to oversee issues related to internally displaced people, and a pledge of $40 million to support the effort.

My visit left me even more deeply convinced that we not only have a moral obligation to help displaced Iraqi families, but also a serious, long-term, national security interest in ending this crisis.

Today's humanitarian crisis in Iraq -- and the potential consequences for our national security -- are great. Can the United States afford to gamble that 4 million or more poor and displaced people, in the heart of Middle East, won't explode in violent desperation, sending the whole region into further disorder?

What we cannot afford, in my view, is to squander the progress that has been made. In fact, we should step up our financial and material assistance. UNHCR has appealed for $261 million this year to provide for refugees and internally displaced persons. That is not a small amount of money -- but it is less than the U.S. spends each day to fight the war in Iraq. I would like to call on each of the presidential candidates and congressional leaders to announce a comprehensive refugee plan with a specific timeline and budget as part of their Iraq strategy.

As for the question of whether the surge is working, I can only state what I witnessed: U.N. staff and those of non-governmental organizations seem to feel they have the right set of circumstances to attempt to scale up their programs. And when I asked the troops if they wanted to go home as soon as possible, they said that they miss home but feel invested in Iraq. They have lost many friends and want to be a part of the humanitarian progress they now feel is possible.

It seems to me that now is the moment to address the humanitarian side of this situation. Without the right support, we could miss an opportunity to do some of the good we always stated we intended to do.

Angelina Jolie, an actor, is a UNHCR goodwill ambassador.

Offline Airwolf

Re: Angelina Jolie: The surge is working
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:01:01 PM »
Hmmm I wonder how that will play back in Hollywood?
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 02:43:39 PM »

We're going to be witnessing the end of her career two seconds after this came out. Now, Jolie is far from my favorite spokesperson for the case in Iraq, but one thing she has that many other leftists who are against the war, said the surge wouldn't work, bash the troops, etc. don't..... she's been there and seen it with her own eyes, and that's more credible than some jackass in his tighty whiteys with Ham & Cheese Hot Pocket stains on his chin blogging on "IhateBushCheney.com"

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:59:46 PM »

We're going to be witnessing the end of her career two seconds after this came out. Now, Jolie is far from my favorite spokesperson for the case in Iraq, but one thing she has that many other leftists who are against the war, said the surge wouldn't work, bash the troops, etc. don't..... she's been there and seen it with her own eyes, and that's more credible than some jackass in his tighty whiteys with Ham & Cheese Hot Pocket stains on his chin blogging on "IhateBushCheney.com"

yep, i dont know what her politics are but if she's been there, talked to the troops, talked to the Iraqi people and talked to the generals in charge and has an opinion - i think its fair for her to express it.

she is relaying what they are telling her, not making it a polical issue, but a human issue.. so, she gets points for that.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 03:08:24 PM »
I am actually pleasantly surprised.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 05:45:34 PM »
Her hawtness increases!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 06:01:26 PM »

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 06:02:04 PM »
I don't care how famous she is, that HAD to hurt to admit that.

And yeah, I see her taking major shit from the Hollywierd libs for that one.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 06:31:35 PM »

maybe ... maybe not.

she's pretty close to the top, as far as A list "celebrities" and she and Brad Pitt have been putting their money into Louisiana to help the Katrina victims there.

she could still be a moonbat, i have no idea. but she's done some diligence in order to get to speak her mind. i'm not sure how either side could give her trouble about what she said. especially the ones who havent been there. and she's been more than once i think.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 10:51:46 PM »

maybe ... maybe not.

she's pretty close to the top, as far as A list "celebrities" and she and Brad Pitt have been putting their money into Louisiana to help the Katrina victims there.

she could still be a moonbat, i have no idea. but she's done some diligence in order to get to speak her mind. i'm not sure how either side could give her trouble about what she said. especially the ones who havent been there. and she's been more than once i think.

I get the feeling she is a moonbat but maybe some of her Dad is starting to come out.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 11:38:48 PM »

maybe ... maybe not.

I get the feeling she is a moonbat but maybe some of her Dad is starting to come out.

That's what I've been thinking.

Even if she is a liberal, she is someone who actually does things for others, instead of merely screaming for the government to help like other celebs do.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 11:39:34 PM »
Well she apparently doesn't get along with Brad's BFF George Clooney so this could be interesting :-)

And I'm quite surprised as well. She does seem to take her UN work seriously. More so than a lot of the Hollywood fruitcakes who just wear ribbons and shout slogans.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lauri

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 12:46:03 AM »
we spent time with our neighbors tonight and i brought this up to the group..

all the guys said:" She's only getting to see the positive stuff - and what our govt wants her to see"

the girls all said:" she has a lot to lose by saying this stuff - she can definitely affect her earning ability within Hollywood by being so pro-Bush (which is how they will take her op ed piece) .. " I think it was a gutsy move by someone who still has a lot to learn about the world. But she's earned my respect on this one.

If she is a moonbat, that's ok. They arent all weirdos their entire lives. One of our neighbors is definitely very liberal, but when we talk about stuff going on, she makes comments that seem very conservative to me. So, I tease her about it and she says, "right is right... no matter what politicians say or do"

and she's right.. i respect her, even though she's a hippie type girl. she's fun and she's a great mom, she just has some growing up to do to understand the world.

we all went thru it ..

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 07:00:06 AM »
Note that it wasn't all sweetness and light directed our way.  I'm actually willing to give this woman a listen--she at least on the surface sounds fair, and has BTDT, BTTS--Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

And yeah, inside the Hollywierd zone, they will snub you for going against party line.  If she were younger or not as well established, it would hurt her.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 09:10:39 AM »
Sorry.

I can't suddenly flip to giving a shit about the opinions of pampered Hollyweird types just because they suddenly stumbled into agreement with me.

But at least now I don't feel so bad about watching Womb Raider.

yum!
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Lauri

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 09:41:32 AM »
Sorry.

I can't suddenly flip to giving a shit about the opinions of pampered Hollyweird types just because they suddenly stumbled into agreement with me.

But at least now I don't feel so bad about watching Womb Raider.

yum!

well, to be clear though... this doesnt mean I will agree with everything she says. her boyfriend (Brad Pitt) keeps saying stupid stuff about the aftermath of Katrina and what happened down there; he apparently thinks the govt is responsible for every facet of the rest of the population residing outside of hollywood.

i think Angelina Jolie has experienced quite a lot the past few years in her travels and adopting her kids - she's seen a lot of inhumanity that I will never see. But it still doesnt give her the ability to speak without being critisized down the road.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 07:16:02 PM »
Well she apparently doesn't get along with Brad's BFF George Clooney so this could be interesting :-)
And I'm quite surprised as well. She does seem to take her UN work seriously. More so than a lot of the Hollywood fruitcakes who just wear ribbons and shout slogans.

More points for her then. Did you know she's a pilot? She got her license at Santa Monica Airport a few years a go and now flies a Cirrus SR-22 like this one:

Gotta' find a way to get rid of Brad...

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 07:44:36 PM »
It's amazing how quickly the liberal "consensus" on Iraq crumbles when they leave their comfortable homes and see what has acutally been accomplished by American men and women over there.  Too bad Joy Behar, Rosie O'Fatass, and the rest of the moonbat asylum that passes for the Democratic party (and it's constituents) can't do the same.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 07:52:47 PM »
It's amazing how quickly the liberal "consensus" on Iraq crumbles when they leave their comfortable homes and see what has acutally been accomplished by American men and women over there.  Too bad Joy Behar, Rosie O'Fatass, and the rest of the moonbat asylum that passes for the Democratic party (and it's constituents) can't do the same.
Oddly, Jeff Spicoli hasn't been back to visit post-Sddam Iraq.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »

Or New Orleans.   :rotf:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 08:40:36 PM »

he's holding his breath, hoping Fidel's brother down there in Cuba does the right thing and allows the people to vote.

i think he's going to be holding it a while..  :popcorn:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 08:41:30 PM »

he's holding his breath, hoping Fidel's brother down there in Cuba does the right thing and allows the people to vote.

i think he's going to be holding it a while..  :popcorn:

Or invites him to dinner. 

Has he been back to Hugoland lately?

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Ms. Jolie, meet broken watch and blind squirrel.

*TKay*