Author Topic: Colorado minimum wage to drop as living costs fall  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Colorado minimum wage to drop as living costs fall
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:13:34 AM »
Colorado minimum wage to drop as living costs fall

AP story at LINK

DUmmies earning minimum wage will lose $0.04 per hour.  :ohnoes:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

Re: Colorado minimum wage to drop as living costs fall
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:05:07 AM »
I wonder if any employers will actually cut pay?

Offline atruevoice

• omg paris hilton lol
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 02:09:06 AM »
I think it is unlikely that employers will actually cut pay, perhaps some employers who start employees at minimum wage will start new employees at the lower minimum wage, but it would be counter-productive for employers to lower pay when an employee is already making minimum wage.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:04:54 AM »
but it would be counter-productive for employers to lower pay when an employee is already making minimum wage.

Ah, what a high-priced "edamacation" buys these days.  Stunning, really.

You do realize that if one lowers the state minimum wage from $7.28 to the federally mandated level of $7.25, right?  So it's not even a 4-cent decrease, it's a 3-cent decrease because no state is allowed to pay less than the federal minimum wage.

3 whole cents an hour!  Why, if one works 40 hours a week for a whole year, that comes out to--oh my goodness!--$60 per YEAR!  How will I be able to afford January's latte?  Oh, the humanity!

And toots, if someone is already making minimum wage, and an employer tries to lower it, there's another word for that--ILLEGAL.

Your major is what, again?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline atruevoice

• omg paris hilton lol
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 01:19:28 PM »
If they lower the state mandated minimum wage it is up to the employer to decide if they wish to lower his employees pay. BTW mr.know it all, Federal Minimum wage laws only apply to certain employers, meeting certain criteria such as number of employees, states MAY have a minimum wage which falls below the Federal Threshold for such employers, in fact some states have minimum wage as much as a dollar below the federal minimum wage for small businesses. My observation was infact that now read carefully since you choose to put words in my mouth an not really read so here it is again -------- Employers will likely NOT lower wages on exsisting employees who are now making the minimum wage, but NEW HIRES will likely start at the new minimum wage.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:32:24 PM »
ATV, congratulations on having a post with no spelling errors.  This is sincere, as I actually do appreciate you taking the time to proofread what you type on here, it shows a certain level of respect, as well as showing your own thoughts in a better light.

Next step, aligning your thoughts with reality and logic...

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »
If they lower the state mandated minimum wage it is up to the employer to decide if they wish to lower his employees pay. BTW mr.know it all, Federal Minimum wage laws only apply to certain employers, meeting certain criteria such as number of employees, states MAY have a minimum wage which falls below the Federal Threshold for such employers, in fact some states have minimum wage as much as a dollar below the federal minimum wage for small businesses. My observation was infact that now read carefully since you choose to put words in my mouth an not really read so here it is again -------- Employers will likely NOT lower wages on exsisting employees who are now making the minimum wage, but NEW HIRES will likely start at the new minimum wage.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTT!!!!!  WRONG AGAIN!!!

LINKY-DINK

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the federal minimum wage for covered nonexempt employees is $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. Many states also have minimum wage laws. Where an employee is subject to both the state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher minimum wage rate.

Federal law states you don't go below them.  No way, no how.  They're basically the bottom, and the states can either follow along or make HIGHER min. wage laws.  The "exceptions" you noted are already spelled out in the cases of tipped employees ($2.13/hr), workers with disabilities, provisional (<90 days) employees under 20 years of age ($4.25/hr) and VERY limited exceptions to full-time students (vocational) granted by DOL.  Notice that in the case of tipped employees, if tips do not cover min. wage for the state, the employer MUST make up the difference.  Also, the provisional wages are only allowed provided other full-time, full-wage workers are not displaced.

Again, you were blathering about what, exactly?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline atruevoice

• omg paris hilton lol
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »
For Applicable EMPLOYERS.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
ATV, congratulations on having a post with no spelling errors.  This is sincere, as I actually do appreciate you taking the time to proofread what you type on here, it shows a certain level of respect, as well as showing your own thoughts in a better light.

Next step, aligning your thoughts with reality and logic...
:lmao:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Chump

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 02:00:39 PM »
For Applicable EMPLOYERS.

From Sparky's link:

To whom does the minimum wage apply?

The minimum wage law (the FLSA) applies to employees of enterprises that have annual gross volume of sales or business done of at least $500,000. It also applies to employees of smaller firms if the employees are engaged in interstate commerce or in the production of goods for commerce, such as employees who work in transportation or communications or who regularly use the mails or telephones for interstate communications. Other persons, such as guards, janitors, and maintenance employees who perform duties which are closely related and directly essential to such interstate activities are also covered by the FLSA. It also applies to employees of federal, state or local government agencies, hospitals and schools, and it generally applies to domestic workers.

So basically, you're arguing that the exception (your scenario) is the rule.  This is because you're painfully stupid.  That is all.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech