Author Topic: From Chrysler to ... NAPA?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

From Chrysler to ... NAPA?
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:04:42 PM »
DETROIT — Chuck Fortinberry's Chrysler-Jeep dealership stopped selling new cars on June 9. Two days later, he signed a contract to turn his dealership into a NAPA AutoCare Center. Then he contacted 23,000 of his customers to tell them about the new business.

For Fortinberry, 53, the NAPA affiliation is a big first step to replace the revenue he lost when Chrysler yanked his dealer agreement. Now he's doing business as Clarkston Motors.

NAPA, an Atlanta-based nonprofit auto parts association, is thinking big about the opportunity to convert hundreds of dealerships. NAPA also has contacted some GM stores scheduled to lose their franchises.

"When we were a dealer, the customer came in the door he did not want to pay for anything," says Russo, who has also signed up to be a NAPA center.

"They thought Chrysler should pay for everything. Lately I have not had one person come in and say, 'I don't think I should pay for this.' "We've got to not think like a dealer. It's OK to sell wiper blades for $5."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20090727/ANA06/307279926
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: From Chrysler to ... NAPA?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 07:48:10 PM »
I like the idea, as long as they don't charge $90/hr for "labor" like dealerships do.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:05:11 PM »
Some used car dealers are shifting their affiliation to NAPA since they lost their connections to GM or Chrysler.  It gives them the benefit of of offering nation-wide warranty service.  http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20091007/BIZ/310079943/1031/BIZ

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 08:19:07 PM »
Some used car dealers are shifting their affiliation to NAPA since they lost their connections to GM or Chrysler.  It gives them the benefit of of offering nation-wide warranty service.  http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20091007/BIZ/310079943/1031/BIZ

From a business model, that has some serious potential, unlike the "warranty" scams I keep seeing advertised.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:39:53 PM »
I see this working well for the ex-dealers. NAPA's support for indy shops in amazing, especially in these times. 
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:08:32 AM »
NAPA offers good quality parts, alot better then Auto Zone, Checker, etc

Offline atruevoice

• omg paris hilton lol
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 02:11:40 AM »
I think this is an excellent Idea, its like recycling, help save some jobs and since these dealers already have the contacts they can use those contacts to solicit their customers.