Author Topic: "Conservative Bible" draws ire from those who cheered on the "green Bible"  (Read 35346 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Re: "Conservative Bible" draws ire from those who cheered on the "green Bible"
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2010, 08:57:50 AM »
I prefer the term primate.

how about bimate
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: "Conservative Bible" draws ire from those who cheered on the "green Bible"
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2010, 10:11:34 AM »
heh
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline ardentconservative

• Just Off Probation
An atheist is a person that lives upon the earth God provides, eats the food God provides, breathes the air God provides, and uses the intellect God provides to deny God and to judge His works...and eventually will stand in front of God screaming, "How DARE You give me the Free Will to refuse You!"

MrsSmith, as a conservative Southern Baptist pastor of 33 years, I  have never heard it said better.  As far as Bible translations go I use the KJV becasue I like it best.  But the AV, ASV, and NASB are good translations also.
I don't care for the NIV[don't like it style], or the RSV.

• Just Off Probation
Uh, no. Belief in Christ is not the only requirement for salvation. It's one requirement but it's by far not the only one.

Nigh Owl, I would say that it is what you mean by  your statement.  If you mean that repentance and faith are required I would agree.  Many people believe in Christ and are not saved.  Islam believes in Christ, but they think he is only a prophet.  Jehovah's Witiness's believe in Christ but believe he is only one God of many.  Many people believe in Christ, but believe wrongly.  But if you mean that something else other than the finished work of Christ on the cross is necessary, I would say you are wrong.

• Global Moderator

Offline thundley4

• Just Off Probation
TNO is no longer with us.

Thanks, Snuggle Bunny, I haven't posted here much the last several months and didn't know he was gone.

• Global Moderator
Thanks, Snuggle Bunny, I haven't posted here much the last several months and didn't know he was gone.
You need to hang out with us more often.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
I have a question about the Bible that no man or woman preacher in any Christian belief has been able to answer.

The very last words Jesus spoke before his death confuse me.

Did he not know he was to die to bring salvation to mankind.?

Also the Trinity that came about 1,000 or so years after his death bothers me.

I was raised in a mono theistic faith,  One GOD, yet as a child the trinity bothered me.

There were parts of the Bible that made me wonder, when Mary had to hot foot it up a freakin mountain to find her son who was suppose to be helping Joseph and on finding him sitting mediating on whatever, she asked why he was not helping his father.  He Replied he was talking to his real father.    A real slap in the face for her.

Another that I do not understand is when his brothers and sisters came running home to tell Mary and Joseph that their brother had gone crazy and to come and get him. His siblings did not understand him or his actions, so Mary never told them that their brother was special??

To believe the Christmas story one has to believe that both Mary and Joseph walked away with great riches from the 3 wise men and knew what they were getting into raising this child.

Jesus was a Jew as were his parents, he was no weak sister as he showed when he became outraged and threw out the money changers in the Temple.

I hate the paintings of him that depict a Wuss, he had to have been one strong and  big man.
Also  wise about his enemy's that tried to entrap him.

He was also a realist when he told Mary Magdalene there would allways be the poor.

Kind of sad when he asked one of his followers just who had touched his cloak as he felt the power drain from him.   

Jesus was half human it is is told, so I look at the human aspect of him as the other half I cannot imagine.

Have faith I was told, do not question just believe what I was told, try to believe all the different Christian segments.   

When I am told that Jesus was God himself, I keep going back to his last words as he suffered on the cross.

Then the lost years, where was he, what kind of life was he leading, had he traveled allot to study other beliefs and cultures.?

A single man from 2000 years ago who when told there were others preaching the same as himself told his followers to pay heed.

Got to be a good reason why he is called Jesus of Nazareth , the name may have been so common that in order to separate him from others with the same name, the Nazareth was tacked on to denote him from the others.

Lots of questions for me in my long so  life, few if any want to answer or even think about any explanation for any of this great Mystery from the past.

Offline MrsSmith

I have a question about the Bible that no man or woman preacher in any Christian belief has been able to answer.

The very last words Jesus spoke before his death confuse me.

Did he not know he was to die to bring salvation to mankind.?

"It is finished."  Kind of seems like He knew what He was saying...

Also the Trinity that came about 1,000 or so years after his death bothers me.

I was raised in a mono theistic faith,  One GOD, yet as a child the trinity bothered me.

Jesus said that He and the Father were One, and He sent the Holy Spirit (the Helper) right after His ascension.  What 1000 years are you talking about?

There were parts of the Bible that made me wonder, when Mary had to hot foot it up a freakin mountain to find her son who was suppose to be helping Joseph and on finding him sitting mediating on whatever, she asked why he was not helping his father.  He Replied he was talking to his real father.    A real slap in the face for her.

Firstly, He was in a temple, not on top of a mountain, and secondly, they were traveling, nothing about Him being "supposed to help Joseph," they'd just assumed He was with another group, and thirdly Mary knew Who His Father was...she was there, remember?  

Another that I do not understand is when his brothers and sisters came running home to tell Mary and Joseph that their brother had gone crazy and to come and get him. His siblings did not understand him or his actions, so Mary never told them that their brother was special??
 Exactly where in the Bible is this little gem?  

To believe the Christmas story one has to believe that both Mary and Joseph walked away with great riches from the 3 wise men and knew what they were getting into raising this child.

Probably a great help to a young couple that had to move into and out of Egypt in the next few years, huh?

Jesus was a Jew as were his parents, he was no weak sister as he showed when he became outraged and threw out the money changers in the Temple.

I hate the paintings of him that depict a Wuss, he had to have been one strong and  big man.
Also  wise about his enemy's that tried to entrap him.

He was also a realist when he told Mary Magdalene there would allways be the poor.

Kind of sad when he asked one of his followers just who had touched his cloak as he felt the power drain from him.    

Jesus was half human it is is told, so I look at the human aspect of him as the other half I cannot imagine.

Jesus IS fully human, and also fully God.  There is no half and half.  Nor is there a "was." He is alive, you know?

Have faith I was told, do not question just believe what I was told, try to believe all the different Christian segments.

Well, if you're having trouble with your faith, perhaps you need to spend some time studying the facts...read some commentaries...read CS Lewis...read Josh McDowell.  There is a lot more foundation to our beliefs than "take it on faith."  

When I am told that Jesus was God himself, I keep going back to his last words as he suffered on the cross.
 It is finished...

Then the lost years, where was he, what kind of life was he leading, had he traveled allot to study other beliefs and cultures.?

A single man from 2000 years ago who when told there were others preaching the same as himself told his followers to pay heed.

Got to be a good reason why he is called Jesus of Nazareth , the name may have been so common that in order to separate him from others with the same name, the Nazareth was tacked on to denote him from the others.

Lets see, maybe it has something to do with Him coming from Nazareth...and the prophesy that He would?   :whatever:

Lots of questions for me in my long so  life, few if any want to answer or even think about any explanation for any of this great Mystery from the past.

As I said, there is a lot less Mystery than you're making out.  Seriously, if you haven't managed to get your answers directly from the Scriptures, there are a ton of books out there that explain the culture of His days on Earth and the evidence that supports the Scripture.  Look for "Christian apologetics" for a quick start.

I don't know where you "learned" the things you're asking about, but a lot of it is just plain wrong.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
"It is finished."  Kind of seems like He knew what He was saying...

Jesus said that He and the Father were One, and He sent the Holy Spirit (the Helper) right after His ascension.  What 1000 years are you talking about?

Firstly, He was in a temple, not on top of a mountain, and secondly, they were traveling, nothing about Him being "supposed to help Joseph," they'd just assumed He was with another group, and thirdly Mary knew Who His Father was...she was there, remember?  
  Exactly where in the Bible is this little gem?  

Probably a great help to a young couple that had to move into and out of Egypt in the next few years, huh?

Jesus IS fully human, and also fully God.  There is no half and half.  Nor is there a "was." He is alive, you know?

Well, if you're having trouble with your faith, perhaps you need to spend some time studying the facts...read some commentaries...read CS Lewis...read Josh McDowell.  There is a lot more foundation to our beliefs than "take it on faith."  
  It is finished...

Lets see, maybe it has something to do with Him coming from Nazareth...and the prophesy that He would?   :whatever:
As I said, there is a lot less Mystery than you're making out.  Seriously, if you haven't managed to get your answers directly from the Scriptures, there are a ton of books out there that explain the culture of His days on Earth and the evidence that supports the Scripture.  Look for "Christian apologetics" for a quick start.

I don't know where you "learned" the things you're asking about, but a lot of it is just plain wrong.

Thank you Ms. Smith, I have THE BOOK that places modern day wording for better understanding.

Good question there Mrs. Smith, where did I get my ideas.   Raised Congregationalist and then as an adult found that I enjoyed visiting outher denominations and compairing their rites and rituals.  As the years passed I found some interesting changes in the demonations as the pastors are most human.

One very nice little Quaker Church in VA. lost their pastor due to his idea that they service should become more Charismatic.  One Catholic Priest started a riot when he mentioned that it did not matter if Mary was a virgin.     

Then when reading diary's of life in New England and the problems the community's faced trying to find the  "Perfect Pastor" and the fact that for a few years there were only 2 out of 10 in one area that had no Pastor do to the Churches having thrown out the pastors for any number of reasons.

Where did I get my ideas from, indeed, now I am curious to find out. Again I thank you Mrs. Smith, you have been more help then my uncle that is a Minister in a small S. Baptist Church here in the North. He has never challenged me intellectually as you have.

God Bless You.    My Highest Regards,  Vesta

Offline MrsSmith

I hope you do some serious study.  It's well worth the time.  Other authors that would be helpful are John McArthur, Charles Swindoll, Dallas Willard, Donald S. Whitney, David Jeremiah.  Remember, throughout history there have been those that wrote books about things they didn't really understand (like those that are popular today that stress the supposed contradictions in the Bible), and there have always been those that deliberately misled.  Research the author thoroughly, so you don't absorb lies as truth.  Blessings!!  May God be with you as you search out truth.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

• Global Moderator
I hope you do some serious study.  It's well worth the time.  Other authors that would be helpful are John McArthur, Charles Swindoll, Dallas Willard, Donald S. Whitney, David Jeremiah.  Remember, throughout history there have been those that wrote books about things they didn't really understand (like those that are popular today that stress the supposed contradictions in the Bible), and there have always been those that deliberately misled.  Research the author thoroughly, so you don't absorb lies as truth.  Blessings!!  May God be with you as you search out truth.

Current authors are just that: current.

In a hundred years--or less--they will be forgotten.

Gimme the guy whose writing outlives him. Everyone has heard of Augustine, Pascal, Aquinas, Lewis, Chesterton etc but they certainly weren't the only authors of their day.

Chesterton had a contemporary: Walter Durante and Chesterton despised Durante. Chesterton endures, Durante does not even though Durante won a Putzpuller Prize while at the New York Times.

Why?

Because Durante was a POS who denied the Stalin Ukranian famine that killed 6 million claiming it was a just propagandist nonsense against the USSR. His articles won him the Putzpuller. Chesterton and Malcolm Muggeridge called Durante out.

Time bore out the truth and Durante is now more infamous than famous while Chesterton is still widely published and read.

One reading of Pascal and it can be seen he was addressing the arguments of his day. His responses remain while the arguments have faded.

Go for older books.