Author Topic: "Conservative Bible" draws ire from those who cheered on the "green Bible"  (Read 35372 times)

Offline jinxmchue

Lessons in liberal hypocrisy and double-standards:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shepherd/2009/10/05/time-conservative-bible-project-insane-green-bible-evangelical-friendl

A year ago Time magazine's David Van Biema wrote up a short, favorable take on the so-called Green Bible, an edition based on the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) that placed "green references" in "a pleasant shade of forest green, much as red-letter editions of the Bible encrimson the words of Jesus." But wait, there's more, The Green Bible also includes "supplementary writings" several of which "cite the Genesis verse in which God gives humanity 'dominion' over the earth" and "Others [which] assert that eco-neglect violates Jesus' call to care for the least among us: it is the poor who inhabit the floodplains."

Even though The Green Bible is risible both from a commercial standpoint as a marketing ploy and theologically as a bastardization of the real heart of Christian doctrine, neither charge was entertained as a valid criticism by the Time staffer. Van Biema even hinted that evangelicals, 54 percent of whom "agreed that 'stricter environmental laws and regulations are worth the cost'" might embrace the translation despite strong reservations from conservative theologians.

Yet the same reverent treatment was spared the online  "Conservative Bible Project" spearheaded by some folks at Conservapedia. Time's Amy Sullivan slammed the project as "insane" in her October 5 Swampland blog post:

There are also "gender-neutral/-inclusive" Bibles and a "gay and lesbian" Bible (I kid you not), but since liberals agree with these versions, they receive no criticism or scorn.

And unsurprisingly, trolling and vandalism of this Conservapedia project increased dramatically recently.

Offline MrsSmith

While it is completely true that gender-neutral "translations" are therefore inaccurate, I'd have to say that "translations" written to explain the free market would also be inaccurate.  I, personally, wouldn't be any more interested in this slant than the slant of the NIV (Non Ispired Version.)  This is one reason why we all use the NASB, it is the most carefully accurate translation available today, and is written at a college reading level to allow for the most accurate word-to-word matches.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Deuce

"Hey, lets change the word of God to fit our own views! WE know what he REALLY meant!"

Both sides doing this are idiots.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
I prefer the Jefferson Bible.

The Jefferson Bible, or The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth as it is formally titled, was Thomas Jefferson's effort to extract the doctrine of Jesus by removing sections of the New Testament containing supernatural aspects as well as perceived misinterpretations he believed had been added by the Four Evangelists.[1][2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
This is one reason why we all use the NASB,..

The KJV, ASV, NJKV, and the NASV are the most accurate, I would agree.  All these others that paraphrase, or leave out parts they don't like, or add things they would prefer be said, are absolutely useless when it comes to accurate study.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
The subject of "which version of the Bible do you like?" is extremely controversial. Everybody's got their favorite and everybody else's just isn't up to snuff. Kinda like humankind to resort to that kind of one-upsmanship.

As for me, I bought an NIV Study Bible about 6 years ago. I get a ton of useful information that provides some perspective on geography, culture, and similar attributes that help me understand Scripture better than I would without it.

I really couldn't care less if it's NIV or ABC or NASA or any other kind of acronym. All I know is that it works for me. I'll leave the rest of it to scholars and to those who are really up on that kind of stuff.

KJV has beautiful prose, especially Psalms. I like it for that reason. 
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Isn't there a warning in the bible against worshipping the creature as the creator?

Romans, I think.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
KJV has beautiful prose, especially Psalms. I like it for that reason. 

So true.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
I prefer the Jefferson Bible.

Yeah right.  This coming from the boards resident asshat Atheist.

:whatever:
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
Isn't there a warning in the bible against worshipping the creature as the creator?

Romans, I think.

Romans 1:25 (King James Version)

25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
Re: "Conservative Bible" draws ire from those who cheered on the "green Bible"
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 03:06:09 PM »
Yeah right.  This coming from the boards resident asshat Atheist.

I've never argued that the Bible is utterly without merit.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:40:24 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 06:13:20 PM »
An atheist is a person that lives upon the earth God provides, eats the food God provides, breathes the air God provides, and uses the intellect God provides to deny God and to judge His works...and eventually will stand in front of God screaming, "How DARE You give me the Free Will to refuse You!"

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »
An atheist is a person that lives upon the earth God provides, eats the food God provides, breathes the air God provides, and uses the intellect God provides to deny God and to judge His works...and eventually will stand in front of God screaming, "How DARE You give me the Free Will to refuse You!"

What do you suppose God did with Mr. Jefferson for taking a razor to the Bible?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
What do you suppose God did with Mr. Jefferson for taking a razor to the Bible?
The last time I looked (which was just a couple days ago), the only requirement for salvation was still to believe in Christ.  As Mr. Jefferson also purchased Bibles for his local public schools, the fact that he read only the red words is meaningless.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 06:34:49 PM »
The last time I looked (which was just a couple days ago), the only requirement for salvation was still to believe in Christ.  As Mr. Jefferson also purchased Bibles for his local public schools, the fact that he read only the red words is meaningless.

Uh, no. Belief in Christ is not the only requirement for salvation. It's one requirement but it's by far not the only one.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »
Uh, no. Belief in Christ is not the only requirement for salvation. It's one requirement but it's by far not the only one.

Oh please continue.

Please read Ephesians 2:8,9.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »
Oh please continue.

Can an unrepentant murderer get into Heaven?

Please read Ephesians 2:8,9.

What Ephesians 2:8-9 teaches is that salvation cannot be purchased with works. It does not indicate that believing in Christ is the only requirement for salvation.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 06:45:06 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 06:49:55 PM »
Really... want to run with that idea?

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 06:51:03 PM »

What Ephesians 2:8-9 teaches is that salvation cannot be purchased with works. It does not indicate that believing in Christ is the only requirement for salvation.
Repentance is a part of the belief.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 06:52:26 PM »

By repenting,yes.
He/she would still have to serve out the civil consequence of their action here though.

It cannot be purchased or earned by works,outside of belief that is all that is left.
Jesus also clearly stated in John 14:6.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

What other way of salvation are you saying that Jesus taught?

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 07:02:52 PM »
Repentance is a part of the belief.

Are you making this up as you go along? The word belief has nothing to do with the word repentnce. Moreover, one can believe that a god exists and still not feel sorry for a sin or sins.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »
By repenting,yes.

You've missed the point. Mrs. Smith suggested that belief in Christ is the only requirement for salvation.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 07:04:38 PM »
Are you making this up as you go along? The word belief has nothing to do with the word repentnce. Moreover, one can believe that a god exists and still not feel sorry for a sin or sins.
No way.  Someone who believes that Christ is Christ cannot possibly avoid feeling repentance.  

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 07:05:25 PM »
You've missed the point. Mrs. Smith suggested that belief in Christ is the only requirement for salvation.
Because it is.  Christ made it quite clear.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 07:17:18 PM »
No way.  Someone who believes that Christ is Christ cannot possibly avoid feeling repentance.  

You're redefining the word belief to include repentance. If words don't have set meanings then communication is impossible.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas