Author Topic: Pulling out an old favorite tonight for dinner...  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Flame

Pulling out an old favorite tonight for dinner...
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:21:31 AM »
In honor of fall.   Cube steaks and brown gravy, cooked in the slow cooker all day (with mushrooms), served over mashed potatos.   Simplest thing in the world to make, and tastes divine!

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Pulling out an old favorite tonight for dinner...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »
Oh wow.  That does take me back.  I am going with jazzed up Campbells Bean with Bacon Soup.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:39:18 AM »
Reading this reminded me of years of making Swiss Steak....can't remember the last time I made it, or cube steaks the way you are doing them.  :drool:

Was at Big Lots yesterday afternoon and bought a couple of jars of Hot Peach and Apple Chutney. Haven't ever tried it, but have used other preserves, etc of the same brand. Also found some canned fried apples ...that aren't fried yet.

I'm thinking of doing either a pork loin or thick cut pork chops, browning them in olive oil, and putting in a roasting pan. Taking the chutney and apples in a saucepan, and cooking until the chutney liquifies a bit, then pouring over the meat and baking for about 30-45 minutes(longer if I do a loin). Maybe putting some quartered Yukon Golds in with it?

Made Gorilla Balls last night.... :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:02:47 AM »

Made Gorilla Balls last night.... :drool:

Ok. I give.  Splain ^   :hyper:

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »
Ok. I give.  Splain ^   :hyper:

2 cans of regular buttermilk biscuits (store brand is just fine)
1 8oz block of cream cheese
Cinnamon sugar (2parts sugar to one part cinnamon)

1 stick of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla

1 c coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350, spray bundt pan with butter Pam.

In saucepan, melt butter, add brown sugar and vanilla, bring to a boil, make sure all sugar is melted, turn down to simmer. It will burn very easily, so be careful.

Cut the cream cheese into 20 cubes.

Lay out the biscuits on a bread board or aluminum foil(makes cleanup easier). Flatten out each biscuit. Sprinkle each one with cinnamon/sugar mix. Put one cube of cream cheese in center of each biscuit, bring dough around the cube and roll into a ball.

Put half of the pecans in bottom of bundt pan, then lay 10 of the biscuits on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar, then carefully ladle half the butter/brown sugar syrup on top. Sprinkle with the rest of the nuts, repeat the process.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes and lay a plate on top and turn over to flip out onto a plate. They will be very very hot!!!

They are wickedly delicious and soooo easy. I don't measure very well, but what I gave you should work fine.

Make sure to flip them out in 5 minutes. We were watching a "shoot 'em up movie" last night and I didn't hear the timer go off, and they sat for about 7 or 8 minutes. Half of them stayed in the pan when I flipped it.  :censored: :censored: :censored: I got the "balls" out undamaged, but most of the goop stayed in the bottom of the pan.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:. I got it all out with a heat proof spatula, put it in a saucepan, added about a quarter cup of white Karo syrup, and carefully reheated it on low until it liquified again....or as much as it could filled with pecans. I poured it over the pile of balls.....didn't look like it was supposed to...but they taste wonderful. I might try adding the Karo next time in the beginning.... :-)

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 01:35:34 PM »
Oh lordy, that sounds divine.  Will be making that very soon.  I don't measure much either, which is why I rarely bake.

Thanks!

Offline debk

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 01:41:51 PM »
Oh lordy, that sounds divine.  Will be making that very soon.  I don't measure much either, which is why I rarely bake.

Thanks!

They will look like they aren't done at the end of 30 minutes, but if your oven is correct and preheated...they will be done in 30 minutes.

Your syrup will be quite thick, but fluid. I don't measure the sugar, but I know I put in about a cup, a little more or less won't matter.

If you have a Dollar Tree, they sell a good sized container of cinnamon sugar for $1. After I used a bit of it, I added more cinnamon. It's whole lot easier to have it in a container and just shake it out, than mixing it and spooning it over....

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »
I do have a Dollar Tree, and I do believe I already have some premixed stuff in my pantry.  All I need are the biscuits.  I love recipes that I don't have to buy alot of stuff for.