Author Topic: Since it is apple season....  (Read 3313 times)

Offline lastparker

Since it is apple season....
« on: October 01, 2009, 03:04:14 PM »
I thought I'd share this.  I made it for the first time yesterday, and it is a keeper!  If you are into really sweet desserts, you might not like this, as the sweet factor is a little subtle - more like European baking.  It is like a rustic pie, baked on a sheet rather than in a dish.

Apple Crostata  Ina Garten, from Barefoot Contessa Parties!
Inspired by George Germon and Johanne Killeen Cucina Simpatica

Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time:1 minCook Time:25 minLevel:Intermediate
Serves:6 servings.
Ingredients
For the pastry:
•1 cup all-purpose flour
•2 tablespoons granulated or superfine sugar
•1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
•1/4 pound (1 stick) very cold unsalted butter, diced
•2 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
•1 1/2 pounds McIntosh, Macoun, or Empire apples (3 large)
•1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
•1/4 cup flour
•1/4 cup granulated or superfine sugar
•1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
•1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
•4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
Directions
For the pastry, place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and pulse 12 to 15 times, or until the butter is the size of peas. With the motor running, add the ice water all at once through the feed tube. Keep hitting the pulse button to combine, but stop the machine just before the dough becomes a solid mass. Turn the dough onto a well-floured board and form into a disk. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Flour a rolling pin and roll the pastry into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer it to a baking sheet.

For the filling, peel, core, and cut the apples into 8ths. Cut each wedge into 3 chunks. Toss the chunks with the orange zest. Cover the tart dough with the apple chunks leaving a 1 1/2-inch border.

Combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Pour into a bowl and rub it with your fingers until it starts holding together. Sprinkle evenly on the apples. Gently fold the border over the apples to enclose the dough, pleating it to make a circle.

Bake the crostata for 20 to 25 minutes, until the crust is golden and the apples are tender. Allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline debk

Re: Since it is apple season....
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 03:09:49 PM »
 :drool:

I have seen a recipe like this before and wondered how it would turn out.

We love apple desserts...will have to try it!

Thanks!!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »
Looks wonderful!

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:20:32 PM »
Looks yummy, like an open-faced apple pie.

I love the barefoot contessa.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:42:39 AM »
Oh wow.  That looks lovely.  Would that be good with some Cinnamon Ice Cream, or what? 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »
Oh wow.  That looks lovely.  Would that be good with some Cinnamon Ice Cream, or what? 
I was thinking homemade vanilla ice cream made with pods, but cinnamon sounds good too.

Offline debk

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »

where are you finding pre made cinnamon ice cream or are you doing it yourself?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 12:47:46 PM »

where are you finding pre made cinnamon ice cream or are you doing it yourself?
If you want a recipe, Delia Smith is a good bet. Her recipes are very reliable and tested to destruction I have never had a failure following a Delia recipe.
Method

First of all place the egg yolks, sugar and custard powder in a bowl and whisk them with an electric hand whisk (or balloon whisk) until the mixture has become pale and thickened. Next put the milk, cinnamon stick and ground cinnamon in a saucepan, bring the mixture up just to simmering point, then pour it on to the egg mixture, whisking all the while as you pour.

Return the custard to the saucepan and continue whisking over a gentle heat until the custard has thickened. Don't worry about curdling – if it does separate, as soon as you pour it back into a bowl and continue to whisk it will become smooth again: the custard powder acts as an excellent stabiliser. Pour the custard into a bowl and, when cool, cover with a piece of clingfilm directly on the surface of the custard and extended up the side of the bowl (to prevent a skin forming). Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.

Next day, whip the cream to the soft shape stage, then fold it into the custard (you can now discard the cinnamon stick). The ice cream can now be churned in an ice-cream maker for 20 minutes until it is soft and velvety. Alternatively pour it into a plastic freezer box (approximately 9 x 6 inches/23 x 15 cm), cover the surface with clingfilm, put a lid on and freeze. Thereafter re-mix with a fork every 30 minutes until it reaches the right consistency. The ice cream should be eaten within 3 weeks; before serving, remove it to the main body of the refrigerator for 20 minutes to soften.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/summer-desserts/ice-cream/cinnamon-ice-cream.html

Offline debk

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 01:02:04 PM »
Thanks, Bijou!!!

I'm not much into making homemade ice cream....only because I could sit with the entire container and a spoon and eat it all......not a good idea.

Wonder if anyone makes it?

Wonder if I could take some french vanilla ice cream, thaw it a bit, toss in some cinnamon, fold it in, then refreeze it?

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 01:05:18 PM »
Thanks, Bijou!!!

I'm not much into making homemade ice cream....only because I could sit with the entire container and a spoon and eat it all......not a good idea.

Wonder if anyone makes it?

Wonder if I could take some french vanilla ice cream, thaw it a bit, toss in some cinnamon, fold it in, then refreeze it?
I make ice cream,  I have a small ice cream make which has a bowl that you freeze rather than the expensive version with the freezing unit, it is worth getting one if you are a fan of ice cream.

Offline debk

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:30 PM »
I make ice cream,  I have a small ice cream make which has a bowl that you freeze rather than the expensive version with the freezing unit, it is worth getting one if you are a fan of ice cream.

I have the old fashioned kind that you put the ice and salt around the cylinder and it has an electrical crank.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 01:12:58 PM »
I have the old fashioned kind that you put the ice and salt around the cylinder and it has an electrical crank.

I can remember as a kid using one of the hand cranked ones. Every one had to take a turn, but it made it taste that much better.  We would even make "snow ice cream" in the winter.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »
I am hoping to "get" my Mom's ice cream freezer when I go to see her at Thanksgiving.  Between that and the canning jars, well that is my reason for driving instead of flying.   :whatever:

Cinnamon Ice Cream:  we have a store here called Marble Slab Creamery that sells it, and I just noticed that Schwanns does as well.  I haven't had any in years, but I think I am going to have to get some soon, now.  
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent