Author Topic: poll: what are your usual means of procuring books?  (Read 9436 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: poll: what are your usual means of procuring books?
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »
Where's the option for just stealing them? :-)

It depends for me on what the book is, how timely I need/want it, and whether or not I'll keep it.

I love places like Half-Price books (as mentioned by IassaFTots above) for finding oddball & overexposed books.   Especially if I don't need to read it RIGHT AWAY, like some people feel the need to.  And no offense to those who just have to read the current popular book.  If there's a popular book that I really want to read but not buy, the library is my first option.  I purchase several baseball reference/analysis books each February/March, and always keep them.  Usually via Amazon, or whoever has it cheapest.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 05:51:11 PM »
Book store.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2009, 08:17:18 PM »
Sam's, Walmart, Target, Kmart and the grocery.

Usually buy paperback, unless I can't wait for the paperback.  :-)

Used to buy from the local used bookstore, but they moved into a highend property, raised their prices and lowered what they would give you for turn ins. I'm buying new ones at Sam's for almost what they charge for used.

Then I pass them around to friends.   :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2009, 10:02:56 PM »
Sam's, Walmart, Target, Kmart and the grocery.

**cough cough**

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 04:19:18 AM »
Now, wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute.

I thought you were a young one, madam, maybe circa 30.

Perhaps you were a late child?

:heart: :heart: :heart: What a charming young man you are Frank, how sweet of you.

I am not your typical Grandma, Frank, in fact I am now old enough to have shed the Vail of respectability or have any fear of "What will the neighbors think."

Age has its benefits, I now do things because I want to not as I am told to. I can now give in to impulse, when I wish I can go as I like to call it, HEAD HUNTING.

Just sit in the town square and ignore the "Don't talk to strangers" start up a conversation with anyone from punks to the elderly. [Mom goes bat crap when I ingage a street person in conversation.]

It is usually books that opens the door for meeting really unusual people.  In my area people read a great deal, pass the time away with a book under one arm and a dog at their feet.  It is funny as there are people of all ages that do the same as me, you watch them walk past someone with a book in hand and necks Crane to see the tittle.

People are wonderful you know, every one of us has an Eleanor Rigby deep within ourselves.

I call the library a few times a year to request the dates that books will be given away.
     I go down and seldom look at the tittle just fill up a couple of boxes, come home and unpack them to see what surprises I will find. 

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 06:09:42 AM »
I went with option 4 although I do tend to buy from Amazon most of the time.  When I visit my daughter I go to Edward MacKay Used Books and usually find several at great prices.  DVD's too.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 07:13:59 AM »

I am so freaking anal about my books that I have a seriously hard time loaning them to others.  I have to have promises that they will treat them like priceless antiquities. :-)
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 07:22:30 AM »
I am so freaking anal about my books that I have a seriously hard time loaning them to others.  I have to have promises that they will treat them like priceless antiquities. :-)

I don't lend any books that I want to keep. I never get 'em back.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 07:58:59 AM »
I went with option 4 although I do tend to buy from Amazon most of the time.  When I visit my daughter I go to Edward MacKay Used Books and usually find several at great prices.  DVD's too.

You must be coming up to my neck of the woods.

MacKay's is the book store I was talking about that has raised their prices so much.....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »
At one time I, figuratively speaking, devoured paperback SF and Fantasy books. So much so that when I sold some back to a used book store, I cleared nearly $100, in the late 70's. I was, however, smart enough to keep the rare ones, namely anything by Clark Ashton Smith, which are now difficult to find.
Now I don't read nearly as much, but I do have all of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series in first edition hardbound.
I think I kept Tower Books in business for awhile.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 02:59:43 PM »
Two sources, generally - Amazon.com or when I want to walk out of the store with a book under my arm, Barnes & Noble.

Whether I buy paperback or hardcover depends on how badly I want to wait for the paperback and/or the author in question.

Mrs E and I have a lot of books, but it's manageable -- at least so far.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 03:01:17 PM »
Two sources, generally - Amazon.com or when I want to walk out of the store with a book under my arm, Barnes & Noble.

Whether I buy paperback or hardcover depends on how badly I want to wait for the paperback and/or the author in question.

Mrs E and I have a lot of books, but it's manageable -- at least so far.

That's the way I am....if I can't find enough paperbacks to keep me happy...I head to Sam's for the hardback.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 10:23:17 PM »
Where do you usually get your books?

I would say it's, typically evenly split between Amazon, Borders/Barnes and Nobles, and my local libraries quarterly sales.  I do try and pick up a few things here and there from the few small independent book stores in my area, and I absolutely adore visits to John King Used Books

That being said, I cherish my local library  :cheersmate:

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 08:57:08 PM »
Anywhere...library, loaners from friends, Barnes and Noble, lately, I get them from the Volunteer's office at the hospital as they sell hardcovers for $3 or $4 a piece...