Author Topic: poll: what are your usual means of procuring books?  (Read 9445 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
poll: what are your usual means of procuring books?
« on: October 03, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »
Where do you usually get your books?

Being one of those who lives life not by plan but by random chance and opportunity, I tend to find mine in the 25- or 50-cent bins of used bookstores.

I tend to buy hardcover books, never paperbacks; it's perhaps silly to be this way, but one can be a snob about such things.  I grew up in houses with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves lined with slipcased books (the Heritage Club, the Folio Society, &c.), and I always had the impression if a book was any good, it was good enough to be in hardcover.

Of course, buying from 25- and 50-cent book bins means one is reading old or outdated books, but knowledge is eternal.  Here we are in 2009, and at the moment most of the books I'm buying are from the late 1970s, early 1980s.  About 90% of them ultimately go to the thrift store, but there have been some real keepers.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: poll: what are your usual means of procuring books?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »
What about the library?  I don't buy books unless I have to (or they're worth shelling out my dollars for).

The library in my neighborhood is less than a mile from here.  It's nice.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
I read everything I get my hands on- books, websites, cereal boxes.   :-)

I usually hit the bookstores every two weeks; B&N, Half Price Books and resell shops.  Have to go to CC for that, my town doesn't even have a gas station.
Hubby gave me a Sony E-reader so I download from the web too. 
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 06:31:37 PM »
What about the library?  I don't buy books unless I have to (or they're worth shelling out my dollars for).

The library in my neighborhood is less than a mile from here.  It's nice.

That works too, but one supposes geography has something to do with it.

Lincoln and Omaha (in Nebraska) were different, but out here in the Sandhills of Nebraska, there's a lot of really well-stocked public libraries, but the libraries of course reflect the demographics of the area.

Meaning around here, public libraries tend to be circa 2/3rds children's books, because children are a large proportion of the general population, and hence probably the largest proportion of library patrons.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »
I ususally rely on the kindness of others.  I have a very real allergy problem whenever I am around a concentration of old books.  My throat starts to close up and breathing becomes difficult.  I cannot even go into libraries unless the ventilation system is topnotch. 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »
I ususally rely on the kindness of others.  I have a very real allergy problem whenever I am around a concentration of old books.  My throat starts to close up and breathing becomes difficult.  I cannot even go into libraries unless the ventilation system is topnotch.

When I was in college, I used to hang around the most-dust-laden section of Love Library (University of Nebraska)--where all the bound copies of master's and Ph.D. theses were kept. 

Apparently that was a rule of the University of Nebraska; that if one got an advanced degree from there, one had to donate two bound copies of the thesis to the university library.

It was utterly fascinating, reading this stuff from long-ago students; from the 1880s or 1920s or 1950s.

For some reason, I was always drawn to those dating from the late 1930, and all through the 1940s, examining attitudes and practices in Europe at the time.  The very best ones dealt with the French circa September 1939-May 1940, in which even those many years ago, I found alarming parallels with contemporary attitudes about the current War on Terror.

Many of the dental theses were good, too.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline bijou

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »
I buy things by chance. I use Amazon a lot because of the big discounts and because they often have the less popular books which are hard to find, but I also love 2nd hand shops and charity shops for old recipe books and curiosities I am lucky to live quite near a couple of libraries so I mostly get thrillers (and other books I won't read more than once from there). When I do buy thrillers they get circulated to a group work colleagues who lend me their books so we only have to  buy a proportion of the books we fancy rather than all of them.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »
I tend to buy books when I go to Walmart or KMart, since they are cheaper than the one bookstore at the the local mall.

For those interested in older literature, check out these two sites.
Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive .

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 07:35:46 PM »
Usually the library.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
Usually the library.

I guess we have to vote for option 4.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 07:47:09 PM »
My library has a huge sale once a year.  I buy a ton of books then.  If the library doesn't have one I want to read I will get it from Amazon or Walmart.  I hate paying retail prices so I almost always buy used.  Goodwill and The Salvation Army usually have a ton of books but they have both raised their prices.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 08:07:31 PM »
I guess we have to vote for option 4.

Well, I'm very careful with my money. 10-15% of what I make goes into savings and I haggle over prices whenever I buy something.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »
Half Price Books is my favorite, you never know what you will find.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 09:23:41 PM »
We usually try to get them from a library first...unless it's a book we know we'll want to own.  Then we use Amazon most often, they have free shipping for a $25 purchase, they're fast, and they've never messed things up, even when we're sending books as gifts to someone else.

I haven't found any place with good used or half-price books in my area...would probably have to make a trip to a bigger city for that.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 10:47:19 PM »
I'm poor enough that I will beg for peoploe to mail them to me instead of throwing them out.
Media Mail is like $2.77 for a heavy book like "One Sector After"

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 10:50:21 PM »
Frank, the Dallas Heritage Village recently decided to close their little library.

They were giving books away.

I didn't get the book I wanted someone had already absconded with the Texas Journey of MK Kellogg or whatever it was called. Great book I saw on amazon for more than $50, thin volume. Took place 100 years before my own birth in this great state when Dallas was just a little German village.

I got "The Little Commonwealth: Family Life in the Plymouth Colony" instead.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 05:50:37 AM »
Mystery guild!!!!!!!!!  I dont have to go anywhere..Timing is all any one has to figure out...  All the novels are about $15.

I'm a big fan of John Sanford and Michael Connally...  Also Woods , Deaver , Elmore Leonard , Patterson etc..

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 06:28:21 AM »
Usually the library.

Colonial you would love to meet my Mother.

Scene--Lincoln Memorial Washington Dc.   

Behind a large pillar I found a very small book store tucked into the memorial.

I left Mom for just one second to check it out as my sons birthday was coming up and he was fascinated with the Civil War.

ARKKKK Mom found me buying, spend money on a biography of one of the Southern Generals.  Right in front of tourists and and store personal this woman in her 80's began to pull on my shirt hissing at me.

I grabbed my purchase and went outside with her as she berated me for spending money when I could have checked the book out of the library for his birthday.  When I realised she was very serious about this I questioned her on how to go about taking back a birthday present after 2 weeks.    Her reply was I could get an extention from the library.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I have to admit I have often thought of turning that woman loose on you guys, she is a hoot.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 07:26:04 AM »
Mystery guild!!!!!!!!!  I dont have to go anywhere..Timing is all any one has to figure out...  All the novels are about $15.

I'm a big fan of John Sanford and Michael Connally...  Also Woods , Deaver , Elmore Leonard , Patterson etc..

I used to love Stuart Woods then he got all moonbatty. :thatsright:  Have you ever read Jonathan Kellerman?  He is freaking awesome!
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 08:01:10 AM »
ARKKKK Mom found me buying, spend money on a biography of one of the Southern Generals.  Right in front of tourists and and store personal this woman in her 80's began to pull on my shirt hissing at me.

Now, wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute.

I thought you were a young one, madam, maybe circa 30.

Perhaps you were a late child?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wayne

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 08:34:39 AM »
I used to love Stuart Woods then he got all moonbatty. :thatsright:  Have you ever read Jonathan Kellerman?  He is freaking awesome!

I've read a couple of his . Just me , but he seems to be his ma and pa all rolled into one.  I really like Deavers latest because it is interactive with his readers. And he answered my email. :-)

Offline Flame

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 09:05:59 AM »
I usually use the library, but if there's something I must have, I get it from the bookstore, either on-line or Birck and mortor.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 02:37:38 PM »
I buy books from just about anywhere.  I buy some at the usual bookstores and I buy them from used bookstores.  At least once a year, the library has a big book sale, and for the last hour or so you can buy all the books you can fit in a brown paper bag for $2.00.  I'm also a member on Paperbackswap.com, which is a site where you list books you want to get rid of, then mail them to people when they request them.  Then you can request an equal number of books from any member.  Cheaper than many used bookstores, plus I can clean out my bookshelves a bit.  

If you are interested in paperbackswap.com, please use this link to check it out, because then I can get some credit for new membership :-)

Paper Back Swap

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 04:28:45 PM »
I buy books from just about anywhere.  I buy some at the usual bookstores and I buy them from used bookstores.  At least once a year, the library has a big book sale, and for the last hour or so you can buy all the books you can fit in a brown paper bag for $2.00.  I'm also a member on Paperbackswap.com, which is a site where you list books you want to get rid of, then mail them to people when they request them.  Then you can request an equal number of books from any member.  Cheaper than many used bookstores, plus I can clean out my bookshelves a bit.  

If you are interested in paperbackswap.com, please use this link to check it out, because then I can get some credit for new membership :-)

Paper Back Swap

who pays the shipping costs?

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »

who pays the shipping costs?

The person mailing the book pays for shipping, so that is something to keep in mind if you are considering shipping a heavy book.  But, that means that you can request hardcover books with no extra cost.