Author Topic: New Jersey Apologizes for Slavery  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
New Jersey Apologizes for Slavery
« on: January 08, 2008, 12:04:36 PM »

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - New Jersey became the first Northern state to apologize for slavery, as legislators approved a resolution Monday expressing "profound regret" for the state's role in the practice.

The Assembly and the Senate 29-2 both voted overwhelmingly to approve the resolution, which expresses the Legislature's opinion without requiring action by the governor.

"This resolution does nothing more than say New Jersey is sorry about its shameful past," said Assemblyman William Payne, a Democrat who sponsored the measure.

MORE

Psssst...don't tell teh gator.   :-)   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline lastparker

Re: New Jersey Apologizes for Slavery
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:38:04 PM »
As an old friend told me years ago, "Give me a slave, and then I'll apologize to him."
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:05:36 PM »
That's just stupid. Slavery is banned. We already did slave reparations called Liberia and Sierra Leone and Civil War. I have yet hear an apology from Japan when it came to enslaving Koreans during World War II.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 07:11:34 PM »
 :banghead: I mean, I just can't say anything else. Idjits!

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »
No comment..... :censored: :censored:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 08:04:32 PM »
Oh FFS!   :lame:

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 12:54:58 AM »
Wait.... Cape May was where Harriet Tubman "retired" to!

Jersey has alot of shit to apologize for, but not this.

*TKay*

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:58:34 AM »
I'll apologize for something I had nothing to do with when the Blacks in Detriot, DC, Chicago and Gary apologize for taking the crime rates to astronomical levels.

Slavery, like astronomical crimes rates, has nothing to do with race; only culture. When the US amended its culture slavery went away. That will be the key to ending crime as well.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline lastparker

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 09:25:24 AM »
I'll apologize for something I had nothing to do with when the Blacks in Detriot, DC, Chicago and Gary apologize for taking the crime rates to astronomical levels.

Slavery, like astronomical crimes rates, has nothing to do with race; only culture. When the US amended its culture slavery went away. That will be the key to ending crime as well.

Yes, but in the case of amending our culture to end crime, how do we accomplish it without being labeled racist?  I happend to think everything related to the new gangsta-crap music industry breeds crime, and I also know that music appeals to people of many races, but when someone points the finger at "gangsta" culture, they're called racist.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »
 :censored: give me a break!!!! So people alive today are going to apologize for what people who are dead today did to other dead people???? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:07:01 AM »
:censored: give me a break!!!! So people alive today are going to apologize for what people who are dead today did to other dead people???? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.
...and then there are those that demand money for what dead people did to other dead people.  I guess we can consider it right after the Egyptians pay off the Israelites.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ccs178

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 07:07:50 PM »

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - New Jersey became the first Northern state to apologize for slavery, as legislators approved a resolution Monday expressing "profound regret" for the state's role in the practice.

The Assembly and the Senate 29-2 both voted overwhelmingly to approve the resolution, which expresses the Legislature's opinion without requiring action by the governor.

"This resolution does nothing more than say New Jersey is sorry about its shameful past," said Assemblyman William Payne, a Democrat who sponsored the measure.

MORE

Psssst...don't tell teh gator.   :-)   :whatever:

Being American by birth and a Mississippian by the Grace of God, I only have one thing to say:

See?! It was New Jersey's fault!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:13:51 PM by ccs178 »